Sign in to follow this  
Glane18

David Taylor to wrestle at Midlands

It was so much more common in a different era. Established world-class wrestlers would enter the midlands all the time. It's actually amazing how many great NCAA wrestlers who went onto  medal in the worlds came back to wrestle in the midlands. Some random examples:

Dan Gable won midlands two straight years the two years after he graduated.

Big Bruce won Midlands very year from 1980 to 1987 (and graduated in 1982).

Joe Williams won Midlands at least ten times (so I'm guessing a lot of those happened post grad!)

Royce Alger won Midlands in 1994 (pinning in all five matches). He was1987 and 1988 NCAA champ and 1990 world silver medalist. He also entered midlands in 1984, 85, 87, 88. After graduating he entered in 1990, 1993 and 1994. He won 3x. 

Jim Scherr won midlands at least six times including in 1987 and 1988 after already being a world bronze and silver medalist.

This is fantastic!! Grads competing at Midlands has been on of the very best aspects of the tournament. Makes it incredibly interesting to watch and see how today's college studs would do against them. Plus, the star power is a real draw.

Hope others will join in future years. I know there will be naysayers (injury risk) ... But from a fan perspective, this is huge.

Not quite on the level of David Taylor but another recent example is Jarrod Garnett.  He took out Delgado in the finals his senior year.  He entered again the year after he graduated - beating Clark in the semis and losing to Gilman in the finals.   And last year he entered at 133.

If someone wants to do some legwork here are all the midlands brackets. 

http://www.nusports.com/sports/2015/6/26/MIDLANDS_0626155320.aspx?path=midlands

It seems like there used to be 1 or 2 postgrads in every weight.  

Terrific.  The old programs used to have past winners and placers.

By the way, over a ten-year period the Hawkeye Wrestling Club had the second high total points next to Iowa.

If someone wants to do some legwork here are all the midlands brackets. 

http://www.nusports.com/sports/2015/6/26/MIDLANDS_0626155320.aspx?path=midlands

It seems like there used to be 1 or 2 postgrads in every weight.

That list has a bad link to the 2012 brackets (actually shows the 2012 NCAA team scores instead).

Here's a link to the correct brackets for that year:

http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/files/2012MidlandsBrackets.pdf

I'm glad he entered the tournament as opposed so a super match like Askren-Herbert. I didn't like it. Those bouts always have the air of "it doesn't really count" so you never know what to make of the results. They have modified rules and modified weights. When someone enters the main event they put themselves out there. No excuses.

Obviously he gets the #1 seed.  He didn't say which weight, though.  I wish more grads would do this.  So exciting.  

https://twitter.com/magicman_psu/status/679835994665844736

Glane18 I don't follow the seeding criteria closely, thus I ask, what would give Taylor the top seed at any weight he decides to enter?  

I'm with you, this is fantastic, just a little curious about the seeding.  

Cletus, I'm not sure if you are trolling me here or not, but they look at who the best wrestler in the field is based on past accomplishments.  4x NCAA finalist with 2 Hodge trophies puts you at the top (unless Dake enters).  Nobody else around those weights is even close to that caliber.  

Cletus, I'm not sure if you are trolling me here or not, but they look at who the best wrestler in the field is based on past accomplishments.  4x NCAA finalist with 2 Hodge trophies puts you at the top (unless Dake enters).  Nobody else around those weights is even close to that caliber.  

Thank you for the response.   No troll, I genuinely didn't now.   I guess that means if John Smith enters, he would get top seed as well.   Very cool incentive for post grads.

Merry Christmas

Or Askren, four time finalist, two-time Hodge and actually made an Olympic team.