Sign in to follow this  
maligned

Why the UWW freestyle weight classes are wrong

My point of view on Olympic styles :

1 classic wrestling style with throws and pins. A mixture of freestyle and greco so i think freestyle.

1 submission wrestling style : grappling or combat wrestling.

You can't ignore the growth of submission wrestling community around the world.

The ideal choice : freestyle,greco and "submission wrestling".

I think this is a valuable observation, WrestlingSuperior. 

Isn't Greco-Roman considered the "traditional" style?

Subsequently, would a "submission" style be more like "traditional wrestling", or more like a new evolution? 

The wiki version describes Greek wrestling as having rules with a goal of putting the opponents back to the ground or pushing him out of bounds. However, my anecdotal education is that the first wrestlers fought to the death, which is more like what I imagine when I read "submission wrestling"

Whatever the answers to those questions are, I agree that we have plenty to gain from adapting to the popularity of "combat" or/or "submission" wrestling.

I'd hate to see it devolve into an uncivilized dogfight, like some MMA bouts. I mean, we don't televise Fencing athletes without protective gear getting all cut up, and for good reason. 

I don't know denger. In my opinion submission wrestling = UWW grappling so you have submission holds and takedowns. The Greek wrestling form without rules was ancient pankration. Now Pankration under UWW has full contact striking, submissions, protection gears and banned ground and pound so it is a mild form of mma...ideal for IOC events not an uncivilized dogfight.

I love all wrestling forms under UWW so I hope in a big step to improve Freestyle/Greco and a strong development of non Olympic styles.

Edited by WreslingSuperior

I don't know denger. In my opinion submission wrestling = UWW grappling so you have submission holds and takedowns. The Greek wrestling form without rules was ancient pankration. Now Pankration under UWW has full contact striking, submissions, protection gears and banned ground and pound so it is a mild form of mma...ideal for IOC events not an uncivilized dogfight.

I love all wrestling forms under UWW so I hope in a big step to improve Freestyle/Greco and a strong development of non Olympic styles.

Thanks, Superior. I have a lot to learn about those other styles.

The olympics already has a grappling/submission style in judo. The ioc is never going to add the weight classes back or another style of wrestling. Wrestling simply is not a revenue generating sport like swimming or track and field. The fact the wrestling is an original sport is irrelevant to the ioc. They simply do not care.