Sign in to follow this  
Nitter

Ruth over Hamlin 8-2

Very impressive, especially considering it was only a 5 minute match. Ed has become an absolute monster on top; rode Hamlin out for the entire 2nd period. I was a little concerned with the fact there was no weigh-in and Ed was the one bumping up; silly me.

Who is Hamlin???...I'd say holding Mr. Ruth NCAA CHAMPION to 8 was a victory and something that any room can work with!!!

P.S. Unless you thought this Hamlin was actually going to win!!!

I don't know if you are being serious in asking who Hamlin is but in the event that you are I will tell you who he is. He is a 2x All-American at 184 for Lehigh. He was 4th this past season and was 2nd in 2011. So Ruth thumped the guy who would have started out the season ranked #1 at 184 if Wright and Bosak move up.

Who is Hamlin???...I'd say holding Mr. Ruth NCAA CHAMPION to 8 was a victory and something that any room can work with!!!

Damn, that was almost as Bad as Metcalf Beat DC in an Exhibition Match & We all know how that One Turned Out

{Or was that Bubba &} ah forget it, doesn't matter anyway ;)

If you have something to get off your chest feel free I'm available this evening!!!

Damn, that was almost as Bad as Metcalf Beat DC in an Exhibition Match & We all know how that One Turned Out

{Or was that Bubba &} ah forget it, doesn't matter anyway ;)

I actually give Hamlin some credit. He fought off a few Ruth takedown attempts very well. Usually, when Ruth has that low ankle and reaches for the other leg and gets it, it is an automatic takedown. Not so with Hamlin, Hamlin fought hard. Still, Ruth is just on another level. Ruth didn't even really try to put a cross face on him and to think he rode Hamlin with essentially his upper body, tells me that he might be the strongest wrestler even at 184.

I think the one guy that Ruth might have struggles with will be Steinhaus, I think Steinhaus will crowd him on the feet and get him slightly frustrated. Still I think Ruth will be the favorite at 184 to win it but I am calling for Steinhaus to beat him at least once this year.

I think the one guy that Ruth might have struggles with will be Steinhaus, I think Steinhaus will crowd him on the feet and get him slightly frustrated. Still I think Ruth will be the favorite at 184 to win it but I am calling for Steinhaus to beat him at least once this year.

Call me crazy, but I don't think anyone who has lost to Luke Rebertus can beat Ed. You think Steinhaus will be the first person to crowd Ed?

I don't know a ton about Steinhaus but I think I know enough to be surprised about how high people are on him. What are his big wins to justify the confidence against Ruth? Seems like Bosak has owned Steinhaus but frankly, I think Bosak was lucky to not have Ruth in the mix last year.

I get your point. Bosak is awesome. National champ. I figure you getu point too. If Bosak stays 184, and Ruth is there, I'd put my money on Ruth.

That said, haven't people said Q beats Ruth???

I have seen a few posts on the Penn State boards by some guys that usually have very good info and they hint that Ruth would beat out Wright if there was a wrestle-off for 184.

In regard to Steinhouse, I think ER is a terrible matchup for him. The speed difference is going to be very pronounced when they wrestle and Ed is one of the few guys that match his power.

Bosak doesn't need to feel lucky about anything. He's a national champ.

..he should feel lucky about that last scoring (non- scoring) sequence in the finals last year.

...gift of the tournament or you wouldn't be on the defensive for Bosak.

As I've been told many times on these very forums, matches that aren't NCAA-sanctioned don't tell us anything, so obviously this proves nothing.

Wright had every opportunity to take that final too. Bosak won on a shot of his own. I'd give the benefit of the doubt to the aggressive wrestler in those instances if I was the ref.

That may have been the only shot BOsak took the entire match. I hate to defend Penn State, but Bosak stalled his ass off in that match. QW was the aggressor (relatively speaking) throughout the match. Now, the ref let Bosak stall, so you can't totally blame him when he's wrestling a more gifted offensive wrestler, but still...

Bah. Bosak won. Wright took one clear shot at the end of regulation. Too close to the end of regulation.

In OT, he came out the aggressor, Bosak fought him off. Then took his one real shot and finished. Clear two.

If say Bosak stalled, so did Wright. Wright had a couple half shots in first and basically no shots in third up to the very end of the period.

Kudos to Bosak and the Cornell coaching staff in adapting the strategy. They learned from the past and came in with the winning game plan. Smart. Successful. Champion.

Bah. Bosak won. Wright took one clear shot at the end of regulation. Too close to the end of regulation.

In OT, he came out the aggressor, Bosak fought him off. Then took his one real shot and finished. Clear two.

If say Bosak stalled, so did Wright. Wright had a couple half shots in first and basically no shots in third up to the very end of the period.

Kudos to Bosak and the Cornell coaching staff in adapting the strategy. They learned from the past and came in with the winning game plan. Smart. Successful. Champion.

You had me at "Bah."

Vak knows damn good and well NCAA matches that aren't sanctioned by the NCAA carry enormous weight. Yes, of course, they should make the All-Star match count, but just because it doesn't, I think we all know the guys are trying at all costs to win it. This match carries weight. Hamlin was trying to win. In season will Ruth win 4-2? Maybe, but it won't take anything away from this win.

My feeling on Q and Bosak is Q is the better wrestler. Q had his destiny in his hands. Neither wrestler was overly offensive. Bosak won that match. I've seen Q do things to create offense and create big time offense, he did not do it and I really don't feel like he tried. Bosak did not stall him out of that. All too often guys wrestle tight on the elevated mat. Bosak took that match and he is the National Champ, period. I say lets put them both at 97, throw the Killer in there, and have a big boy party next year.