Sign in to follow this  
nom

Midlands finals ...

Taylor having problems with Dudley .... tries to pull him back but Dudley mobile.  Dudley trying to get defensive fall.  Couple times.  Nope.  Now flat on belly.  2-2 still.  Taylor not near getting backs so far.  Dudley mobile on restart.  Stalemate called with dudley facing but Taylor with hands locked around leg.  Taylor riding and has RT up to 2:25 as period ends.

3rd period.  Taylor down.  Taylor working for hand control.  Dudley working own claw.  Taylor to feet.  working hands.  CRAZY FREAKING POSITION!!!!  who gets backs for that!!!  Wow!!!  Can't describe.  

Taylor with reversal.  Up 4-2.  Review going on.  With no video.  Officials talking.  Didn't look like Taylor was exposed but it was close.  Dudley looked exposed but Taylor wasn't given control.  Really interesting.  

Free release and then Dudley goes in hard on Taylor's head.  Taylor shot now.  going out back.  Scramble ... close to TD but nope, great job by Dudley.  Ref saying no TD, right call.  4-3 Taylor with RT 5-3.  

overall, this is not a good sign for Taylor wrestling up in this weight class.   He wins 5-3 but I think Dean would take him here.  Not a good sign for his Olympic aspirations in this weight class.

taylor looked really good in the early rounds, wonder if his back didnt give him troubles in the last match.  either that or he was just wore out.  its possible with taylor still training that he didnt taper off for the Midlands.  A lot of those scramble positions Taylor usually powers though but it looked like he had nothing in the gas tank.  Not taking anything away from Dudley but Taylor should beat him easily.

Another match where the "wrong" guy wins. Brooks did all the work, Zilmer won the match.

Another match where the "wrong" guy wins. Brooks did all the work, Zilmer won the match.

The wrong guy won....if you're an Iowa fan.

Zillmer fun fact: Wrestled 130 his senior year of high school, so was probably expected to wrestle 141 collegiately.

The wrong guy won....if you're an Iowa fan.

Zillmer fun fact: Wrestled 130 his senior year of high school, so was probably expected to wrestle 141 collegiately.

I believe i already indicated that Sorenson, an Iowa wrestler, won despite being outwrestled. And i put wrong on quotes for a reason.

I think this is going to do wonders for Hall mentally.  He beat Dhesi who's really good, and he beat Larson pretty badly after losing 3-2 to him previously.  Losing 4-3 to Gwiz is nothing to be ashamed of.  Especially for a true freshman.  Before the season began I thought Hall had a decent chance to come away with an AA finish.  He's right there.  Going to be interesting to see how he develops and grows into the weight in a few years.  He looked pretty small compared to Dhesi.  I'd guess Hall is about 230ish?

If we are going to bring back people with expired eligibility, my money would be on Logan Stieber.  

In terms of 141....probably.   I think we should get a pool of money together each year and try to get guys that have graduated to enter.   Kerry Mccoy was in the building....I would have loved to see him wrestle. 

In terms of 141....probably.   I think we should get a pool of money together each year and try to get guys that have graduated to enter.   Kerry Mccoy was in the building....I would have loved to see him wrestle

I'd like to see Askren come back at 174. That would be interesting to watch.  

I think this is going to do wonders for Hall mentally.  He beat Dhesi who's really good, and he beat Larson pretty badly after losing 3-2 to him previously.  Losing 4-3 to Gwiz is nothing to be ashamed of.  Especially for a true freshman.  Before the season began I thought Hall had a decent chance to come away with an AA finish.  He's right there.  Going to be interesting to see how he develops and grows into the weight in a few years.  He looked pretty small compared to Dhesi.  I'd guess Hall is about 230ish?

Hall is extremely tough, but I'm not sure I'd call him a "true freshman" even if that is what he is eligibility wise.

Hall is extremely tough, but I'm not sure I'd call him a "true freshman" even if that is what he is eligibility wise.

It's not like he was really training to wrestle the last few years.  If he had been like at the OTC or overseas or wrestling for the army or something I'd say that's different, but he didn't touch a wrestling mat for 2 years.  If anything those 2 years probably had him regress a little more than anything. 

It's not like he was really training to wrestle the last few years.  If he had been like at the OTC or overseas or wrestling for the army or something I'd say that's different, but he didn't touch a wrestling mat for 2 years.  If anything those 2 years probably had him regress a little more than anything. 

Would you consider Andrew Long a true junior as NAIA rules do?

I get your point and I don't disagree, but physically developing for three years out of hs (especially as a heavyweight) is not quite the same as being a true freshman one year out of hs. Maybe isn't a big advantage but it is not the same.

I get your point and I don't disagree, but physically developing for three years out of hs (especially as a heavyweight) is not quite the same as being a true freshman one year out of hs. Maybe isn't a big advantage but it is not the same.

I bet you Hall didn't touch a drink in his time off.  Now THAT's dedication.  Long might have had a couple here or there.  

The NAIA has a different eligibility system than the NCAA does, so obviously it's not the same.  But Long I'm guessing has been able to work out and obviously kept himself in good enough shape to wrestle.  Being on a mission doesn't afford you that kind of luxury.  Being on a mission is much different because you're there to do your religious service and your time is very structured.  There are few opportunities to work out at all, much less do anything that would have you ready to wrestle in college.  True Hall is not a typical true freshman, but I think being away from wrestling for 2 years didn't do him much good from a wrestling perspective.  As to if he's matured from being an 18 year old kid right out of high school or not, that is pretty debatable, you can't say definitively one way or another if that's made a difference.  But being away from wrestling for 2 years probably has. 

Hall spent a year and a half at the OTC before going on his mission to Uganda.

Dont think bump up does not have effect

on David Taylor.

It does , can look physically big , im sure hes at disadvtantage.

Dake also , but i believe he has more horse power Thank Taylor. either way disadvantage to be jumping two weights against elite. May get away with Dudley.

they have no choice though

Frank C

Edited by cangemi

With Walters leading over Schleifer 1-0 going into the third period, Walters proceeds to take all of the shots. I was waiting for the announcers (esp Tim Johnson) to comment that the wrestler in the lead was taking the shots, not quite converting in three extended scrambles that ensued. Then with about 12 seconds to go Walters give up the aggression and backs up. Johnson gets all over his case for stalling, screaming for the ref to call it (would have been the first- a warning). Schleifer did nothing for 6:50, while Walters did the work. A minor wtf moment.

With Walters leading over Schleifer 1-0 going into the third period, Walters proceeds to take all of the shots. I was waiting for the announcers (esp Tim Johnson) to comment that the wrestler in the lead was taking the shots, not quite converting in three extended scrambles that ensued. Then with about 12 seconds to go Walters give up the aggression and backs up. Johnson gets all over his case for stalling, screaming for the ref to call it (would have been the first- a warning). Schleifer did nothing for 6:50, while Walters did the work. A minor wtf moment.

It was a bizarre statement for sure. That said, it was Gibbons, not Johnson who was on his case about stalling.

Johnson was a little rusty, but I expect he'll get back in the swing of things as the Big Ten season gets going. I can't for the life of me figure out why Gibbons gets to keep doing this.