Sign in to follow this  
silver-medal

The Game Changer

Last season, Cael Sanderson decided not to chase an NCAA title.  He committed to keeping his three outstanding frosh and returning AA Retherford in redshirt.  One year later, Tom Ryan looks at the current scene and pulls Myles Martin out of redshirt.  Next, he reinsterts  Kyle Snyder at Hvy.  Finally, he puts a healthy Hunter Stieber back in the lineup.  Are these three--plus Tomasello,  Bo and Micah, enough to win it all?  

Martin. Courts, JDJ and Jake Ryan make up the rest of the lineup.   

Good decison?  Bad decision?  Other thoughts.?

Edited by silver-medal

I'm stunned. I wonder what his walking weight is right now. Likely worth 18 points+ at NCAAs (revised projection). Pulling Myles Martin into the lineup makes sense now. Also, Kyle probably has an opinion on MyMar.

Feeling some sympathy for Tavs, but it is what it is.

Edited by LkwdSteve

Ohio State is going to be tough. No doubt. Especially if they get that hammer (back) for heavy. 

After watching the Gwizer in the finals bout yesterday, I now suspect that a Snyder/Gwiz match-up could conceivably be a barn burner.** Albeit a 30 pound difference. Some were saying that Gwiz rolls around at about 265. Whereas Snyder can walk at about 230 to 235. Can Snyder handle that much weight diff ?

As for the professor, and his Merry Band of Lions : Ya know, I have now watched (more closely) a few of those young kids in his lineup. It will be difficult to out score PSU in March :

Mega, well Mega is Mega. Conway, and then Retherford, who I think is underrrated. Nical, Racheed, and Nolf  are the RSFr. Jeez, I think that Nolf and Nical are slick and ready to score (perhaps big) points in any current college tournament.

Penn State is solid at 84. Then another Mac….who could be the top 97 this year. The senior McLintosh.

**Or is the 'ASU big'……..much further along than I had originally thought ? Drove up the road a piece a few      

wks back. Watched the tail end of a prac in the ASU room. I now believe that I have underrated ASU bigs.

Edited by denny

The way I see it, from the three guys I haven't yet rated (Hunter, Bo, and Snyder), they probably need about 40-50 points to win a national title...(I'm expecting roughly 110 to be the magic number). Do I think those guys can do it? Absolutely. Do I think they will do it? Probably a coin flip.

More intriguing, to me, is if Hunter isn't the same wrestler. This tells me that it's a distinct possibility that, if that's the case, Hayes' redshirt gets torched. This makes their road to a national title more difficult, but still conceivable. (I figure Ke-Shawn Hayes is probably a low-to-mid All-American)

Ohio State is going to be tough. No doubt. Especially if they get that hammer (back) for heavy. 

After watching the Gwizer in the finals bout yesterday, I now suspect that a Snyder/Gwiz match-up could conceivably be a barn burner.** Albeit a 30 pound difference. Some were saying that Gwiz rolls around at about 265. Whereas Snyder can walk at about 230 to 235. Can Snyder handle that much weight diff ?

As for the professor, and his Merry Band of Lions : Ya know, I have now watched (more closely) a few of those young kids in his lineup. It will be difficult to out score PSU in March :

Mega, well Mega is Mega. Conway, and then Retherford, who I think is underrrated. Nical, Racheed, and Nical are the RSFr. Jeez, I think that Nolf and Nical are slick and ready to score (perhaps big) points in any current college tournament.

Penn State is solid at 84. Another Mac in, perhaps the top 97 this year, senior McLintosh.

**Or is the 'ASU big'……..much further along than I had originally thought ? Drove up the road a piece a few      

wks back. Watched the tail end of a prac in the ASU room. I now believe that I have underrated ASU bigs.

Are you channelling KMF?

????

Good for tOSU should put them in the mix for a trophy. 

Those were some initial reactions. Later comments were more measured. Ohio State fans have suddenly begun pulling out calculators. Early look--even if Ohio State's 5 returning AAs (counting Hunter) match what they have scored in the past, it  won't be enough. More contributions will be required.

Edited by LkwdSteve

Those were some initial reactions. Later comments were more measured. Ohio State fans have suddenly begun pulling out calculators. Early look--even if Ohio State's 5 returning AAs (counting Hunter) match what they have scored in the past, it  won't be enough. More contributions will be required.

Are you saying more contributions are needed to overcome  Iowa or Penn State or...? If Penn State then the same could be said - They will need more out of Gulibon who is not looking good this year. I can see him easily two and out at nationals.

Really what this whole thing boils down to is who shows up at nationals - who keeps their seed - who gets upset - who are the surprise AA - injuries - etc. All of the factors that go into the tourney - Really the only thing that can be said is that Snyder gives OSU what appears to be some sure points added to their final score which could or could not be the difference. 

Are you saying more contributions are needed to overcome  Iowa or Penn State or...? If Penn State then the same could be said - They will need more out of Gulibon who is not looking good this year. I can see him easily two and out at nationals.

Really what this whole thing boils down to is who shows up at nationals - who keeps their seed - who gets upset - who are the surprise AA - injuries - etc. All of the factors that go into the tourney - Really the only thing that can be said is that Snyder gives OSU what appears to be some sure points added to their final score which could or could not be the difference. 

Fair question. No opposing teams were in mind. Rather, the thoughts were how many points could TOSU be projected to score, and would that be enough. Would 103 points do it again? No one knows of course. Big Tens will be fascinating.

Re: "more contributions"

Such as………….who or what ?

Thanks

Re: "more contributions"

Such as………….who or what ?

Thanks

I was stating, sort of, the obvious. TOSU's returning AAs have scored a combined 87.5 points in their previous individual high finishes. Setting aside the (big) question as to whether those 5 can match that number again, we arrive at the question of achieving 110 points (using SetonHall's number). That hypothetically would require JDJ, MiJo, RyanJr, MyMar, and MaMar scoring 22.5 collectively. Can those 5 produce two 5th or three 7ths or.......a champion?

It's speculation based on a lot of things going right. That's what fans do.

Fair question. No opposing teams were in mind. Rather, the thoughts were how many points could TOSU be projected to score, and would that be enough. Would 103 points do it again? No one knows of course. Big Tens will be fascinating.

Makes sense....the Big Tens will be pretty intense. I can see five different teams having a shot at the NCAA title this year - should be fun. Between now and then: lineup changes, injuries, eligibility, weight issues, who is peaking who is not....it all plays a part in who end up on the top at the end. 

Steve, I think Ohio State can get to 110 points, but EVERYTHING would have to go right. Micah mid AA, Johni Di low AA, Hunter high AA, Courts has to be a mid AA (no way this happens imo), My Martin mid AA, and Ryan has to get a few points.

Their 3 studs are going to be there, I am convinced of that. They scored 62 points between them last time and they'll score about that many again. 197 won't score, pretty convinced of that too. So the other 6 need to score 48 between them. That is an average of 8 points a man, or 6th-7th place points. That is a lot to ask. 

Edited by TBar1977