Sign in to follow this  
cornercoach

SPG defeats BLAIR !!!

Thanks coach.   Any other details?   Blair 2 SPG 7 national ranks?   

I see Buchanan CA has defeated St Eds and OPRF in the Clash final with one more dual to go vs Tuttle OK

What's going on in CA?  I know they have Clovis top 4 ranked as well as the John Azavedo team and Poway turning some heads.  

...Flo has had its well documented issues- but yesterday I had the Graham/Blair dual on 1/2 my laptop screen, and the "Terry" documentary on the other 1/2 ..... if my wife would have fired up the grill with an 8 oz. fillet on it - - heaven probably couldn't be a whole lot better ...............

Thanks coach.   Any other details?   Blair 2 SPG 7 national ranks?   

I see Buchanan CA has defeated St Eds and OPRF in the Clash final with one more dual to go vs Tuttle OK

What's going on in CA?  I know they have Clovis top 4 ranked as well as the John Azavedo team and Poway turning some heads.  

.... head to head - - - 7/7 --- SPG had two falls ---- dual started at 160, and was determined by the 152 pounders- tied at 24 before that last match ......great coverage by Flo ... 

Recruiting?  That's the new standard of public?

Lets not be naive here.   All the top programs get guys in, whether recruited or not.  The program does the recruiting.    

SPG's too good now, so they aren't considered public anymore?  I saw someone tried to draw a line at move ins, and while they were cutting everyone down, it turned out their team got 2 that very yea.r  But it was quickly explained away.    Might have been Husker's old team if I recall.   The Rovers or something or other.   

Can someone answer my question? I'm really curious as to when was the last time Blair lost to a public school.

Yes without question St Paris Graham is a public school and have beaten Blair a number of times in the past 10 years or so. Willie's subtle troll job is referring to them not considered public because they've had a few transfers and/or move ins. St Paris Ohio has a population of about 2500 people or even a little less so yes a team that has been in the national top 10 every single year for the last 10 years has had a few move ins and transfers. There is a huge difference between them and Blair/Wyoming Seminary and basically almost all the rest of the national powers that are consistently in the national top 10 every year. For the most Graham is largely homegrown this year, if not from right in St Paris then from the Urbana/Champaign county area.

I believe the only starter who didn't go to Graham Middle School is their 195 Kavan Sarver. Marinelli is also from the Miamsburg area about 50 minutes away but did go to middle school in St Paris for at least a year i believe. Blair for instance has wrestlers from 6 different states in their starting lineup, including 3 from Florida. The difference between them/Wyoming Seminary is when those 2 have a whole in their lineup, it gets filled and usually from an elite out of state kid. A couple years ago for instance Blair was in need of an upper weight, Singletary moves in from Florida, same thing another year with Neal Putnam from Hawaii. Graham on the otherhand had a huge hole at heavyweight this year and their solution was to go get a first year wrestler off the football team to start for them. Now Im not saying anything is wrong with that and Graham has certainly had more move ins/transfers than an average hometown public school wrestling team, but their is a rather large difference between them and the elite private schools.

The whole public/private debate always gets slippery. Where I come from high schools have strict residency rules. Schools can be located two miles away and if the athlete does not live within a limited geographical area then no transfer can occur. The team just has to be drawn from residents within its immediate area. So being able to get athletes from a wider area, even county wide, and having transfers and move ins is a huge advantage.

Edited by straggler

The whole public/private debate always gets slippery. Where I come from high schools have strict residency rules. Schools can be located two miles away and if the athlete does not live within a limited geographical area then no transfer can occur. The team just has to be drawn from residents within its immediate area. So being able to get athletes from a wider area, even county wide, and having transfers and move ins is a huge advantage.

Agree with this but having open enrollment does absolutely nothing to create a public school into a private one.    Husker isn't questioning open enrollment, he's talking about public vs private.   

My youngest son went to the same public school my other boys attended.   Difference is we moved 8 miles away after his 9th grade year, but he was still able to attend, because they became open enrollment.   That didn't make it a private school, it was still public.  

The public v private school debate is interesting. I just learned this year that some public schools have special programs that allow them to have kids enrolled from outside their area. For example one school offers a business program. They can have any kid in the county as long as they are in this program. 2 other state powers have similar programs. It is a nice coincidence that all three are year in and year out the best in the state.

There is also a few private schools that have successful programs and they have had some homegrown and move ins. No one says anything about the kid from across the county, but you hear them squealing about the private schools. To be fair I graduated from a small private school. Although our program has not been real good since our coach left 25 years ago.

When you get down to it is the coach and programs that bring in the kids. And parents will find a way to get little Johnny to the schools with the good coaches. Public or private.

Are most kids on the varsity squad those who came up through their youth/ middle school program?  What Coach Jordan and co. do there is beyond impressive.  The fact that a public school program was able to knock off that Blair team just speaks volumes about their coaching and team members.    

Agree with AnklePicker.

I don't care what anyone says, even if SPG gets kids from around their area or even the entire state of Ohio to move in, their advantage cannot be nearly as egregious as that of Blair, Sem, etc., the private schools who can recruit from the entire country and even abroad. Big difference.