Sign in to follow this  
mvattivo

When will the 2015 site be announced ?

In November the NCAA announced the sites for 54 of the NCAA Championships and included in that listing was Cleveland hosting the Division-II Championship in 2014.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2012-11-01/dozens-championship-sites-selected-2013-14-2014-15-academic-years

They have not, yet, released the Division-I wrestling sites.

My understanding is that the following sites are involved in the bid process:

-Atlanta

-Boston

-Phoenix

-Philadelphia

-St. Louis

Here are this year's championship sites: http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2011-11-23/future-ncaa-championships

In November the NCAA announced the sites for 54 of the NCAA Championships and included in that listing was Cleveland hosting the Division-II Championship in 2014.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2012-11-01/dozens-championship-sites-selected-2013-14-2014-15-academic-years

They have not, yet, released the Division-I wrestling sites.

-Atlanta

-Boston

-Phoenix

-Philadelphia

-St. Louis

Here are this year's championship sites: http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2011-11-23/future-ncaa-championships

Can you check that second link? I can't get it to open. Thanks.

-Atlanta

-Boston

-Phoenix

-Philadelphia

-St. Louis

My personal ranking:

1) Boston- hasn't been, major media city, cool city, some local wrestling programs

2) Phoenix- hasn't been, great weather and things to do. Some West Coast (almost) love.

3) Philly - great city, wrestling hot bed

4) St. Louis - been there, done that

5) Atlanta- no D1 college wrestling, not close to any major wrestling hot beds

In regards to Atlanta: The city is closer to the University of Tenn-Chattanooga (proposed host) than St. Louis is to the University of Missouri which hosts. Also, as you know, Chattanooga has been hosting a successful Southern Scuffle that the coaches have enjoyed and outdraws the Midlands for fans despite Illinois being a more traditional wrestling hotbed.

The NCAAs could be anywhere and they will sell out. I am a fan of Atlanta hosting; they are Delta's hub and Hartsfield-Jackson is a below capacity airport that offers a lot of cheap flights. Georgia has added about five college wrestling programs in the last few years so there is interest in the state from locals.

In regards to Atlanta: The city is closer to the University of Tenn-Chattanooga (proposed host) than St. Louis is to the University of Missouri which hosts. Also, as you know, Chattanooga has been hosting a successful Southern Scuffle that the coaches have enjoyed and outdraws the Midlands for fans despite Illinois being a more traditional wrestling hotbed.

The NCAAs could be anywhere and they will sell out. I am a fan of Atlanta hosting; they are Delta's hub and Hartsfield-Jackson is a below capacity airport that offers a lot of cheap flights. Georgia has added about five college wrestling programs in the last few years so there is interest in the state from locals.

Agreed. Hosting the championships in Atlanta has potential for growing the sport. I noticed the D-II tourney will be in Birmingham this year, which is also good news, IMO. (Thanks for that corrected link, Mr. Pinnum.)

Just to add to Pinnums remarks on Atlanta, it is a descent hotbed as far as youth through high school is concerned. And we are working on college. Won't be long until we have a d-1 program....possibly by 2015. And we have of hardcore fans here that will come out. I don't know why we are worrying about attendance. We could hold the event in Antarctica and it would still sell out a venue. Bring it to Atlanta. It will be great for Ga wrestling and ultimately what is good for Ga wrestling is good for wrestling in the U.S.

The classic wrestling cliche "Hosting the championships in Atlanta has potential for growing the sport."

How so? The fans who go to it are the diehard fans that go everywhere. A few newcomers will go and some local sports official will be there, but is this really going to grow the sport? In what way? Will wrestlers suddenly become taller? And no, no college in Atlanta will add wrestling just because the NCAA championships were held in the city/state.

Not trying to be Donnie Downer, but it's just reality.

The classic wrestling cliche "Hosting the championships in Atlanta has potential for growing the sport."

How so? The fans who go to it are the diehard fans that go everywhere. A few newcomers will go and some local sports official will be there, but is this really going to grow the sport? In what way? Will wrestlers suddenly become taller? And no, no college in Atlanta will add wrestling just because the NCAA championships were held in the city/state.

Fastwilly, maybe wrestling is still (at least in some ways) a small, niche sport and viewed as such because so many people in wrestling still think in small, niche kind of ways.

We’re talking about exposure, college wrestling making a hopefully great impression in a place where it never has before. Influential and powerful sports people in Atlanta want it here. Don’t go sniffing at them, saying you’re too good to bring your little game over to their place when they want to promote it some too.

Of course southern colleges are not going to create a new budget for a wrestling team just because the NCAA came to Atlanta town. But the big splash the sport is sure to make here can only help push forward the efforts to make the sport thrive, and keep thriving.

Hijack notice! Just a reminder - the 2013 and 2014 Division III Championships will again be held here in Cedar Rapids. Tournament director, Dick Simmons, is planning things never before seen at a DIII event - including the first "Barron Bremner Memorial Fan Festival".

Think of us as the "Jesse Whitmer" of wrestling championship hosts. We might be the smallest in the lineup, but we just might also be the "strongest town in the world".

Plus - we love wrestlers and their fans.

Here's a video about our town and one of our native-son wrestlers.

Thanks to Tony Winkler of The Last Ride for allowing me to call this the "unofficial" theme of the 2013 DIII Championships.

Fastwilly, maybe wrestling is still (at least in some ways) a small, niche sport and viewed as such because so many people in wrestling still think in small, niche kind of ways.

We’re talking about exposure, college wrestling making a hopefully great impression in a place where it never has before. Influential and powerful sports people in Atlanta want it here. Don’t go sniffing at them, saying you’re too good to bring your little game over to their place when they want to promote it some too.

Of course southern colleges are not going to create a new budget for a wrestling team just because the NCAA came to Atlanta town. But the big splash the sport is sure to make here can only help push forward the efforts to make the sport thrive, and keep thriving.

JC,

I hope it does get exposure but the reality is, the sport is going to come into whatever town for a week and compete for 3 days and the town is going to move on to the next thing. Big cities like Atlanta host events all the time, so every time this comes to town the people see it and move on to the next thing.

I want it to get exposure and want it to "grow the sport" as the cliche says, but did it change anything in St. Louis? Did it change anything in Detroit? Did it change anything in Philly?

All I am saying is, this big schpeel about how placing it in certain locations benefits the sport really doesn't do much.

Not trying to be a Donnie Downer, but it's just reality.

No one claimed that having Atlanta host would instantly result in the addition of an NCAA team in Georgia. However, anyone who knows the local scene, will tell you that wrestling is becoming increasingly popular on the Georgia HS level. And, they'll also tell you that some very good wrestling people have been working tirelessly for years to revive college wrestling in the state (see this link for an example).

Even if they never succeed, they will be remembered for fighting the good fight - and not as Donnie Downers who merely criticized others while offering no alternative solutions of their own.

JC,

I hope it does get exposure but the reality is, the sport is going to come into whatever town for a week and compete for 3 days and the town is going to move on to the next thing. Big cities like Atlanta host events all the time, so every time this comes to town the people see it and move on to the next thing.

I want it to get exposure and want it to "grow the sport" as the cliche says, but did it change anything in St. Louis? Did it change anything in Detroit? Did it change anything in Philly?

All I am saying is, this big schpeel about how placing it in certain locations benefits the sport really doesn't do much.

Willy,

That is the exact reason why I do not support the NCAAs going to New York City. I don't think we will get any boost from it in the city that never sleeps.

With that said, when it was in Philly a lot of people on the east coast attended that normally don't attend the NCAAs. The sport did gain exposure to people that had never attended an NCAAs. This is partly due to the success of Penn State and Cornell but I also don't think as many people would have traveled to St Louis to watch these two programs if they hadn't had so much fun when it was close to home in Philly.

Furthermore, the proposal, as I understand it, calls for the Georgia Dome to be the host facility with the basketball endzone set up being used. This takes seating to about 26k compared to 17k and 18k at facilities like MSG, Comcast, and Quest. The addition of seats will allow for increased exposure as more fans can get tickets. How easy was it to get tickets this year? I expect Atlanta locals that are connected to high school and youth wrestling to buy a ticket and attend their first ever NCAAs. Is there any doubt that attending the event gets people hooked on college wrestling?

The destination, being in a warm climate and downtown in a city that has a lot to offer will make it a destination for fans from outside the area. Atlanta is a solid choice. Though I would be fine with Boston, Phoenix, or even back at St. Louis.

As I have said, for me, the number one factor in the site should be being located downtown with a lot of hotels and restaurants in the area since we come and go from the facility so frequently with the sessions. And it is this reason that, although I always enjoy Philly when there for other purposes, I do not like the NCAAs being in Philly.

Georgia Dome setup for Basketball:

slideshow_991610_acctechhoops.0313+bs2.JPG

I would love to see the NCAA's in either NYC or LA at least once. Madison Square Garden and/or Staples Center would be awesome. There would absolutely be more media coverage, and both places are surrounded with terrific bars, restaurants, etc.

-Atlanta - Competitive airfare year round from most major cities, great local fanbase would probably be curious enough to get a ticket. Close to FL, TN, and the Carolinas where wrestling is progressing again. Easy drivability from several regions.

-Boston - New England wrestling deserves this and again I suspect many unique visits. New England wrestling fans are a different bunch with many other priorities other than wrestling but I suspect they come out in droves if a Boston event happens. Brown, Boston, Harvard, and Sacred Hart are all nearby including a plethora of D3 schools. Downsides: probably a pricier trip for most, but so worth it! Great city!

-Phoenix - Again, competitive airfare from most major cities. Other tourism qualities, many hotels, and a west coast connection.

-Philadelphia - I suspect the most unique (first timers) visitors than anywhere else in the last ten years. I suspect Iowa/St. Louis draws 75% regulars or more. I think unique visits are key to "growing" the sport. Had a blast in PHL and the arena area has dramatically improved as has the entire city since the event.