Sign in to follow this  
SalvatoreG

Anderson University to drop Wrestling

D2 Anderson University (South Carolina) to drop wrestling. The AD told the team last night. I hope the wrestling community can express their disappointment with this decision by emailing the AD and President. The AD told the team he wanted to focus on conference championships and wrestling is not in a conference. It's a typical lame excuse. The AD at Anderson, Billy D'Andrea was the assistant AD at Clemson when they dropped the program there so there is history with this guy.

Billy D'Andrea (AD) bdandrea@andersonuniversity.edu 864-231-2023

Evans Whitaker (Pres.) ewhitaker@andersonuniversity.edu 864 -231-2100

Haven't seen anything official here, but one thing shows me this was in the works.

The ECAC started a Division II wrestling conference this season, included in it were Coker and Newberry, the only other two SAC schools that sponsored wrestling. Because AU wasn't included, despite being geographically and academically aligned, seems to me this was in the works prior to coach Dock Kelly leaving for a new school in Ohio.

No official release yet, but I'll be at the Virginia Duals this weekend where Anderson is competing and I'll see what I can dig up. 

Jason- your analysis is correct. I'd imagine a press release will go out in the next week or so. Obviously the current administration wants to do this as quietly as possible. The AD wants to use wrestling's money and give it to teams that can win a conference championship. The AD failes to acknowledge that Anderson has had 2 division 2 national champions (jj Jackson & Kareef Robertson) in the past ten years plus a D2 ncaa runner up last year (Sean turner). I'd think national champion is more prestigious than conference champ but what do I know.

I'm already coming up with questions in my head. For any Division II AD to cite lack of conference affiliation, that's bunk considering all of Division II is on a regional qualifying model and there are a handful of D2 conferences that officially sponsor the sport, yet we've seen 26 new Division II programs since 2000 and NINE new programs in Division II since Anderson joined the South Atlantic Conference, and SIX of those are in geographic proximity to South Carolina. 

I smell something funky here. Let's hope this guy takes my call like the Cleveland State AD did. 

Jason....... I doubt that the Univ. Pres knows that wrestling is actually a net dollar gain for his Univ. I am guessing the AD KNOWS this but hasn't shared that with the Pres..... "uh hey Pres. I want to drop wrestling.... it's gonna cost the Univ $$$$ but it will lesson my work load." 

IF the AD doesn't know that............ he should be fired. It's his job to know.

Most schools that have added wrestling the net gain is a BIG part of the reason.

I'm waiting for the official word before I go after the stats, but athletically, Anderson has been incredibly mediocre in all sports at the conference level. Few post season appearances and just a handful of conference titles. individually, I haven't found an All-American yet in anything other than wrestling. Still digging.

I think I speak for a lot of wrestling fans when I say we are lucky to have someone like you JB who is always on the forefront to save wrestling programs from being dropped.  I vividly remember your interview with the Cleveland State AD, and quite frankly, you made him look like a buffoon.  You clearly had done immensely more research on the subject than he had, and he didn't have an educated answer for any of your questions, which really exposed his true agenda.  I think this interview was a piece of helping get the program reinstated.  I'm hoping this is the case with the Anderson University AD, and hopefully he accepts your interview.  You have a knack for wrestling related research, and to be honest, I expect a similar interview should he accept.   

How quickly could the wrestling community came up with $3,000 to cover the initiation fee to enter that conference? How can he use the wrestling team not having the proper facilities as a reason for cutting it when he said himself that only 3 of their sports team have their own locker rooms? Sounds like he is putting too much emphasis on all of the money that will be spent on wrestling but not enough on all the money that will be coming back in. 

I wasnt clear on this part so ill ask the question before I criticize him for it. It sounds like the university picked the coach from within the coaching ranks instead of opening it up nationally (am i getting that part right?), but doesnt the AD later go on to say how he has some kids who are causing problems and are ineligible? Isnt that your fault because you picked the wrong guy to coach?

Edited by IRTYTKY

IRTYKY-I almost fell out of my seat when he said it was $3,000 to join the league.  Hell, the parents of the kids on the team could have paid that!!!  Jason pinned him down about the costs to run a program($350,000) and how the other schools in South Carolina have a 40 man roster(deduct the 6 schollys and you have 34 kids that would not be at the school paying tuition).  Perhaps it was the previous AD and this AD's fault that the wrestling coach only had a 20 person roster.  This would seem like an easy fix!!

I get the impression there's a sizable rift between the old coach and the president. With the old coach leaving during the season, that really left an interim coach within as one of the few options to lead through the end of the season. Let's just say this was a frustrating one, but at least he took the opportunity to talk on the record vs. ducking the call like Trev, Kilkenney and Boeh did.