Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

T-Row and Funky Show on Flo is the best podcast in wrestling

Pairing the irreverent and often hilarious Ben Askren with the usually level-headed and analytical Tommy Rowlands is genius. I've listened to the show from the beginning and it keeps getting better. There's no other place where you can "hang out" with two of the best folkstyle wrestlers ever and get an hour of candid in-your-face wrestling talk. Given who they are, they get awesome guests on the show, e.g. Kyle Snyder right after he announced he was going to suit up for the Bucks, Jake Herbert after Dake and Taylor took over his weight class at US Nationals, etc. JB is an upcoming guest.

The best part of the show is a new scouting feature they started with their last episode. Apparently, they will regularly focus on one wrestler per show and give their opinions on how they would coach against him. Bo Nickal was the first wrestler to get scouted.

I love the variety of topics too. The show is mostly about recent wrestling events, but they also talk about random topics like whether singlets are bad for the sport, the Peyton Manning scandal, etc.

One of my favorite parts of the show is listening to Rowlands predict the score of any tOSU dual. He is the biggest homer in wrestling but tries to keep a straight face as he finds a way for the Buckeyes to crush whoever they're up against. He's got the Bucks winning six matches to four by 6+ points with zero bonus matches for PSU. Tommy, I love you, man, but put down the crack pipe.

Observation was that Bo scores many defensive points and does not have greatest (could improve) leg attacks. Crisp, clean, strong and finish TD attempts. Get lead so you don't force shots and get yourself in unfavorable scramble situations. Create situation where Bo must attack legs.

Observation was that Bo scores many defensive points and does not have greatest (could improve) leg attacks. Crisp, clean, strong and finish TD attempts. Get lead so you don't force shots and get yourself in unfavorable scramble situations. Create situation where Bo must attack legs.

Thanks. 

Yes, their only show I heard so far was the one where they interviewed Kyle Synder. Have to find more time to listen to more shows. Really enjoyed Ben and Tommy's show.

Along the same lines, CP and Willie usually always put on a great professional show, and now we have Mike and Brock doing a lot of cool international stuff.  

Edited by 2td3nf

Interesting that Bo lost at Ind. in manner predicted by by these guys. The good news for Bo is that he fought back and almost got the win. Bad news is he didn't finish a couple of TD shots. If there is such a thing as a good loss, this may turn out to be that if Bo profits from it. If you risk big move and lose early you need to develop great tools to fight back if the other wrestler tries to sit on the lead. Good observation by two guys. Thanks for pointing them out - I'll have to tune them in occasionally

Edited by swoopdown

Swoop, not only are these two among the best wrestlers, they were both coaches in D1 for major programs. When they break down tape, whether right or wrong, it's always worth a listen.

Their show was fun and interesting to begin with, but the new scouting feature makes it an absolute must for the hardcore wrestling fan.

The discussion on Snyder's potential challenges as a heavy, especially from TRow who lived through the exact same transition to heavy, JoJo's weaknesses, and Chael's in-your-face commentary made for the best show in the series thus far. Awesome stuff.

Also, Askren made the interesting comment that Cox plans to qualify for the Olympic trials by winning NCAAs and then, if he qualifies, will make the cut to 86 kg.

A discussion about Gabe Dean being on PEDs? it's obvious that Dean's on PEDS? Iowa on PEDS during their national championship runs? 

I'm a little surprised not much has been said about this. I think it may be in the best interest of the podcast to get rid of Sonnen and possibly Askren too.

A discussion about Gabe Dean being on PEDs? it's obvious that Dean's on PEDS? Iowa on PEDS during their national championship runs? 

I'm a little surprised not much has been said about this. I think it may be in the best interest of the podcast to get rid of Sonnen and possibly Askren too.

You're not hearing that much about it because it was Sonnen who started the madness. Sonnen is Sonnen. That's why he makes a good guest. He's always at least a little controversial but generally adds a lot to a show. Nothing is taboo for him, and that's part of his appeal. The guy is among the most die-hard supporters of the sport and follows every season like he's still in college even though he's almost two decades removed from his NCAA days. MMA is where his bread gets buttered now, so he is following wrestling purely because he loves the sport and wants to promote it. His enthusiasm is contagious, and he's always good for a laugh or three.

And... get rid of Askren? He's 50% of the reason why the show is so good! He's the perfect guy to have opposite the more reserved TRow . You can't have two Askrens hosting it, and you also can't have to TRows. The dynamic would be totally different. The current pairing is a big reason why the show works.

The show isn't trying to be Sportscenter for wrestling. It's two studs talking wrestling to each other as they would in a bar, with a special guest joining in here and there, and we get to eavesdrop. It's a great format.

Edited by wrestlingnerd