Sign in to follow this  
lewiebakes

Would anyone think less of Taylor if he dropped to 157?

He already has a title at 165 and a runner-up finish at 157. He'd merely be chasing the 157 title that eludes him, so he shouldn't be looked down upon if he went that route. :D

(Of course he won't do that and Dake's interview on flo effectively cleared up any questions people might have had about Dake possibly dropping down to 157 after taking out Taylor)

I seriously doubt Taylor would go that route, but just for argument sake, supposing he did - who wrestles 165 for PSU? I think from a team perspective, this makes no sense.

Most would agree it won't happen and he wouldn't. I think the question is more theoretical than anything.

It makes no sense and he won't do it. He's losing to Dake by a n*t hair. It pushes Alton out and leaves a hole at 65. Yes, I'd think less of him. Historically all that matters is titles. The only reason to run is if you believe you can't win.

Literally 0 chance this happens, none at all.

But theoretically, yes I think people would (and should) think less of him. Only because of the circumstances. There is no possible way to explain this move were it to occur. It actually hurts the team most likely.

Good thing there is no way this happens.

I don't think there's any way this happens, not only because of the team aspect, but because as a competitor I doubt DT would do it. Now what about if Dake did it? He is actually certified at 157, and would not nearly hurt hs team in the same way DT dropping would. Dake has already beat DT and therefore by dropping would almost guarantee a 4th title.

Guest Hammerlock3

No one gets that good with the mindset that they can't turn around one point matches.

I wish both of these guys weren't at 165. I'm a fan of both these great wrestlers, and they have only themselves as competition at 157 or 165.

You know what could happen? Dake winning every match-up but the 2013 NCAA Finals.

I don't want to see 1/1/1/2. I also don't want to see Taylor off the top spot again.

That being said, I haven't bet against Dake since he beat Reese Humphrey as a true freshman, and, if forced, I'll put rent money on Kid Dynamite in March.

TOS--You're selling short Derek St John. He can wrestle competitively with either of these guys. Perhaps Welch as well.

Caldwell has not looked sharp at 165.

Come on. I like DSJ as much as the next guy...I even think he wins his title this year...but Dake or Taylor he aint. I don't see him being able to beat either of these guys...keep it close (in the score) maybe...but beat them no way....and im not sure how you can think he can compete with either Dake or Taylor, then tak on "perhaps Welch as well"...huh!!?

I don't think there's any way this happens, not only because of the team aspect, but because as a competitor I doubt DT would do it. Now what about if Dake did it? He is actually certified at 157, and would not nearly hurt hs team in the same way DT dropping would. Dake has already beat DT and therefore by dropping would almost guarantee a 4th title.

In that case, Dake would be giving up a shot at 4 titles at 4 different weights and would probably be perceived as running from Taylor. But, like you say, there's no way this happens so ultimately it's a moot point.

Probably 80%+ of all D1 wrestlers cut weight to increase or improve their chances to be a National Champion in College. Do we think any less of them?

I realize this is a unique and tantalizing situation, and one hell of a rivalry, yet I wouldn't think less of him at all. And if he did ... Dake would probably follow him down. :o

Will he do it? No ... I don't think so, for some of the reasons already stated. Team makeup, Growth from last year, etc ..

I'm looking forward to NCAA's and that 3rd match.... Nobody gave Caldwell a chance with Metcalf, and I think this is a much closer and intriguing match-up.

I swear .... if and when they meet up in March .... at the NCAA's, it's going to be NUTS!! Our sport is going to be in the headlines more then usual I suspect. GREAT Story, two great wrestlers, going toe to toe on the big stage.