Sign in to follow this  
DiMaria

Chance Marsteller quitting the sport of wrestling?

too much success too soon almost always doesn't work out long term. let's not get too excited with our advanced young athletes.

While I have no inside information this has nothing to do with it.

My guess is he was in the wrong situation and felt like he was being forced to do something he did not want to do. Not everybody wants or needs the same things in life and I suspect he would perform much better both mentally and physically on a different team. I would bet it's not the pressure but a series of personality conflicts manifesting itself in rebellion utilizing the only tool he can control, participation.  

While I have no inside information this has nothing to do with it.

My guess is he was in the wrong situation and felt like he was being forced to do something he did not want to do. Not everybody wants or needs the same things in life and I suspect he would perform much better both mentally and physically on a different team. I would bet it's not the pressure but a series of personality conflicts manifesting itself in rebellion utilizing the only tool he can control, participation.  

Amazing how your self professed lack of information didn't stop you from a very specific diagnosis of the problem and the needed solution.  

Good Luck to Chance in the future, whether on or off the mat.  

Amazing how your self professed lack of information didn't stop you from a very specific diagnosis of the problem and the needed solution.  

Good Luck to Chance in the future, whether on or off the mat.  

If you truly had the professed reading comprehension skills your post surreptitiously implies,  you would have noticed the word "guess" preceding my opinion and understood the meaning. 

I am sorry, but I don't see this as a thing to joke about.  He has had an extremely bad run in his life the past couple years and now the one thing that has been a constant bright spot in his life appears to have abandoned him as well.  Think back to when you were that age, were you an emotional rock that never let anything upset you?  Breaking up with a girlfriend?  Messing up on a test?  Having a bad practice?  Getting absolutely pounded in the room as a freshman?

He just basically found out that he cut to 157 for nothing, left PSU for OkState for nothing(in his mind anyway) and isn't even currently part of the team due to suspension.  When it appears something has nothing positive left to give, it isn't quitting to move on......................

With all that said, I hope he finds his way and wrestling somehow finds it's way back to his heart!

Wow, it looks like some of you guys are giving the internet more power that it really has. Do any of you really believe a couple of vague nonspecific comments on a message board will have any personal impact on an adult, a young one to be sure, but an adult not withstanding?  

I am sorry, but I don't see this as a thing to joke about.  He has had an extremely bad run in his life the past couple years and now the one thing that has been a constant bright spot in his life appears to have abandoned him as well.  Think back to when you were that age, were you an emotional rock that never let anything upset you?  Breaking up with a girlfriend?  Messing up on a test?  Having a bad practice?  Getting absolutely pounded in the room as a freshman?

He just basically found out that he cut to 157 for nothing, left PSU for OkState for nothing(in his mind anyway) and isn't even currently part of the team due to suspension.  When it appears something has nothing positive left to give, it isn't quitting to move on......................

With all that said, I hope he finds his way and wrestling somehow finds it's way back to his heart!

Relax. When I left the team I acknowledged I was a quitter. It has stuck with me every day since then. I dream about it at least once a week. What could have been? He left the team, he's a quitter too. You can't have it both ways. Either you quit or you don't. Just because there are extenuating circumstances doesn't change the label.

Regarding his not choosing PSU, he wouldn't start there either. Not at 157, 165, or 174, so it's a moot point that he made the "wrong decision". He will enjoy life a little more now that he is done but will regret it later in life, I guarantee it.

Regarding his not choosing PSU, he wouldn't start there either. Not at 157, 165, or 174, so it's a moot point that he made the "wrong decision". He will enjoy life a little more now that he is done but will regret it later in life, I guarantee it.

I have a feeling that he'll end up at a different school next season and wrestle with joy and reckless abandon. He may not be happy on a high pressure team with a coach who from the outside seems to be an authoritarian. Personalities are important and people change a lot form 18-20.  

Edinboro

Actually that may not be a bad fit. Small school, small town, minimum pressure, roster is light at his natural weight, in his home state, could work out nicely.

Clarion fits that bill too.  

Edited by Zebra

Just because our joking about a situation won't affect the person we are joking about, doesn't make it right.  The kid has had it rough and just had his one good thing he has clinged to fail him.  This sport has so much bravado that the word "quit" has too much negativity and is taken as an absolute.  Just because you leave something doesn't mean you are a quitter.  Why stick with something that is only bringing you pain.  Sometimes it is better to move on and there is a big difference between that and quitting. None of us know for sure which it is, but I just feel very uncomfortable joking about it.  But, if you guys don't, feel free.  It is a message board and you are correct that I doubt it will affect Chance in any way.....