Sign in to follow this  
DiMaria

Chance Marsteller quitting the sport of wrestling?

Just because our joking about a situation won't affect the person we are joking about, doesn't make it right.  The kid has had it rough and just had his one good thing he has clinged to fail him.  This sport has so much bravado that the word "quit" has too much negativity and is taken as an absolute.  Just because you leave something doesn't mean you are a quitter.  Why stick with something that is only bringing you pain.  Sometimes it is better to move on and there is a big difference between that and quitting. None of us know for sure which it is, but I just feel very uncomfortable joking about it.  But, if you guys don't, feel free.  It is a message board and you are correct that I doubt it will affect Chance in any way.....

It sounds to me like you missed a few hugs in your life. 

Just because you leave something doesn't mean you are a quitter. 

Dictionary definition:

noun: a person who quits or gives up easily, especially in the face of some difficulty, danger, etc.

Pretty sure that is spot on. He left because it was hard (difficult). He didn't fight to keep going (gives up easily).

I'm done with you.

Repetitively posting opinions (even incorrect or vague opinions) and trolling are not the same thing. 

Yet when I post my opinion that Chance can't compete at 157, and that Coach Smith should put JoJo in right away, I'm clearly trolling. Thanks for being consistent! 

Yet when I post my opinion that Chance can't compete at 157, and that Coach Smith should put JoJo in right away, I'm clearly trolling. Thanks for being consistent! 

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day. A troll is correct once in every 100 posts. That's a estimate of course. 

He quit no matter how it's spun.  No question about that.  I think whether quitting once makes him a quitter is perhaps up for debate.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt even though he doesn't want to wrestle for my favorite team anymore.  Like I said, good luck to him going forward.  Chandler Rogers, Joe Smith, and Crutchmer on next year's team probably make it easy for me to say goodbye.  If he was leaving a big hole it'd be harder to be magnanimous.  

I also think there is nothing wrong with anyone questioning it or looking at him in a bad light.  It's a discussion board.  These things get discussed.  

Everybody quits someday, but saying that he didn't fight to keep going, and gave up easily, seems ridiculous to me.  Has anyone here wrestled college for four years and never told people they were going to quit at one point or another? 

I wrestled 4-years in college and at no point did I ever consider quitting. Even after college I never quit I just transitioned to coaching ad reffing.

I have taken a temporary break while my kid is in high school as I don't wan there to even be a whisper that he has gotten preferential treatment because his dad is a ref.  Once we get him enrolled in college I will dust off my striped shirt and get back on the mat. 

Packers fans are generally all right. Cowboy fans can direct their complaints regarding my opinions to the bottom of my derriere. 

Anybody who will sit without a shirt in weather encroaching absolute zero while sporting foam wedge of cheese on their head is definitely not "all right". 

Edited by Zebra

Were you on a full ride cutting an extra weight class wrestling for one of the top 3 teams in the country that had expectations of winning the NCAA tournament?

Irrelevant. The comment was everybody quits sometime and I never quit.

I've said multiple time I wrestled DII but I assure you the college schedule is a very tough grind regardless of level.  

You quit competing after college.  You transitioned to coaching and reffing (which is awesome).  Chance is (maybe) quitting competing this season.  He is transitioning to helping people as a physical therapist and can always move into coaching and reffing in the future.  In fact, I would bet that he will. 

As a side note: I was in a physical therapy program when I wrestled in college, so I'm probably more sympathetic to Chance than most here, but I can tell you that of the 6 athletes in the program, every single one of us either quit their sport or quit the DPT.

Edited by GoNotQuietly

Zebra - The grind is tough. Regardless of level, I don't discount that.

But his situation is likely 180 degrees different from anything you dealt with while wrestling in college.

The pressure, demands and constant micro-management of weight and activity he was probably going through takes everything out of the sport (and probably him). Being thousands of miles from home without a support network compounds things. I know, I have experience with it in a Big 10 program.

It doesn't seem that you went through that. As a father, I hope your son doesn't. 

If true, he's not the first high profile recruit to burn out in college (Chris Phillips was arguably equally regarded at points in high school).  He won't be the last either.  The development required from even the top HS recruits to compete in the NCAA is significant.  Rather than pile onto a kid like this for not making it, which is more frequent than we like to emphasize, lets appreciate guys like iMart, Nickal, Snyder, et al who make a seamless transition.

College is tough for everybody unless you are majoring in "underwater basket weaving" or some other non-educational degree. I got a Master's Degree in engineering so I can promise you I had a lot of sleepless nights. While I was not on an athletic ride I was getting a large academic scholarship and had to maintain a 3.5 GPA to keep it. I ended my MSEE with a 3.78 in 5 years and still wrestled the first 4.

I just don't buy the whole my college experience was tougher argument. We all had it tough.      

Edited by Zebra