Sign in to follow this  
DiMaria

Chance Marsteller quitting the sport of wrestling?

College is tough for everybody unless you are majoring in "underwater basket weaving" or some other non-educational degree. I got a Master's Degree in engineering so I can promise you I had a lot of sleepless nights. While I was not on an athletic ride I was getting a large academic scholarship and had to maintain a 3.5 GPA to keep it. I ended my MSEE with a 3.78 in 5 years and still wrestled the first 4.

I just don't buy the whole my college experience was tougher argument. We all had it tough.      

Different strokes for different folks. One may look at Jimmy Gulibons career as a "failure" so far, however 99% of guys who have ever strapped them on would love to call themselves an All American.

Not making excuses for Chance, but I can't imagine how hard it is to take butt whoopins when you were all world in HS. Heck, I was a D1 wrestler who was accomplished in HS (not nearly to his level), and adjusting was tough for me.

That said, I'm sure he's made some poor choices (leading to suspension from team) that need to be sorted out. Hope he figures things out.

It's heartbreaking to see a highly accomplished kid with so much talent in broken spirits like this. I hope we see him back on his feet and back on the mat soon -- what a loss to the sport if he actually quits.

Chance was really good at pushing, and bullying kids around. And Iowa could use a new 165.... 

I'd love to see Chance Marsteller land somewhere in the Big Ten, but I'm not sure I see a good fit culturally between him and Iowa. Personally, I think it would be awesome if he transferred to Northwestern, but again, I don't know if that's the right program for him.

In the near term, it sounds like CM is burnt out and could use a break from the grind of wrestling; as a fan, however, It would be fun to see him make a run at a junior world title, Pan Ams, or even qualify for OTs since he seems to enjoy freestyle and this season is a scratch anyway. I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem finding somewhere to train.

Edited by pamela

I agree with old marine, the expectations on an athlete with that high of a profile can be overwhelming to a 17-18 year old. We all see it every day with the lower profile kids. But having the best programs in wrestling wooing you in front of all your family and peers, I could see how it could be unnerving. Of course with the best coaching the best rooms you will likely be the next 4 time ncaa champ, with the success you had in high school. Think about that. Its not something an average wrestler would ever experience. And on the other hand, some of the high profile one do handle it. So that's not to say it can't be done. As Bob Knight used to say" In sports, the mental to the physical is as 3 is to 1, if you want to be the best"

Wow, it looks like some of you guys are giving the internet more power that it really has. Do any of you really believe a couple of vague nonspecific comments on a message board will have any personal impact on an adult, a young one to be sure, but an adult not withstanding?  

sometimes a vague non-specific comment on a message board gets you a phone call in the middle of the night...

i know nothing of the kid's problems or what he got suspended for, but, i do know kids in that room and i can tell you they love it there... obviously, chance was not given the proper tools growing up to properly handle himself in that environment and that is not on him...

my guess is he will land on his feet in a better situation for him next year and hopefully melodramatic tweets will cease...

sometimes a vague non-specific comment on a message board gets you a phone call in the middle of the night...

i know nothing of the kid's problems or what he got suspended for, but, i do know kids in that room and i can tell you they love it there... obviously, chance was not given the proper tools growing up to properly handle himself in that environment and that is not on him...

my guess is he will land on his feet in a better situation for him next year and hopefully melodramatic tweets will cease

Coaches have the ability to recruit a group of kids which generally feels the way they do about the sport and as such most college athletes have a positive experience however this is not always the case. There are always a few kids who simply do not mesh with a coach or feel comfortable on a particular campus.

You see this in every sport.  

it isn't just in sports... it's in every facet of life...

it is just always a little more surprising in wrestling... if done right, youth/HS wrestling should better prepare you for the moments like chance is going through... obviously, his development was not done right...

So he got booted off the team along with Austin Shaefer for violating team rules. Wonder if the real story ever comes out about that. What in the world is going on in Stillbongwater? Geez

silly to blame a program for a kid who surely self sabotaged to get out of his current situation...

This situation reminds me of Joey Wildasin, another all-time PA great who burned out in large part due to a monster weight cut. Obviously, Chance appears to have other demons, but nothing is as demoralizing as cutting 10 lbs more than your realistic weight loss limit. It takes over your life and dominates everything you do and think. It literally makes every other problem worse.

I agree with whoever said that a smaller school with familiar staff like Campbell would make a lot of sense because it would be a crying shame to leave Chance's enormous potential untapped so early in his career.

it isn't just in sports... it's in every facet of life...

it is just always a little more surprising in wrestling... if done right, youth/HS wrestling should better prepare you for the moments like chance is going through... obviously, his development was not done right...

I agree completely with the first statement but i was speaking specifically of sports given the fact that we're discussing this on a sports forum. 

The second part not so much. Regardless of development as a wrestler most people are more affected by items outside the wrestling room. Growth in family or other social interpersonal relationships can have a deleterious impact on sports. I know there have been comments over the years about a tumultuous family situation for at lease a portion of his childhood. There is no telling how that or other unknown and non-wrestling related events have impacted his growth.

My guess is this is still more about a personality conflict between he and the coaches, one or multiple.    

A truly sad story from a wrestling standpoint if thisends up holding up and being true, and not just an overflow of emotion.  However, if it leaves him a happier man, I can't blame him from it.  Sometimes people are great at something but don't love it, or love it but aren't great at it.To get to the highest levels, you have to have both.  I loved wrestling, but I wasn't very good.  David Craig springs to mind as someone else on the other side.  I hope he's able to find his way back to wrestling.

those tweets do not look like a personality conflict... they read like a kid who is emotionally stunted...

there are only 2 people to blame for that...

Personality conflicts don't have to manifest themselves in a series of "I HATE THAT JERK" tweets. They can take many forms and be on several different levels. 

Personality conflicts don't have to manifest themselves in a series of "I HATE THAT JERK" tweets. They can take many forms and be on several different levels. 

there is a personality conflict going on no doubt, but, it is painfully obvious it is primarily internal... and i can assure that OSU room is not a hold your hand room... having been in that room during the real wrestling season when it serves as the regional training center, there is one coach in particular that is not very warm and fuzzy even to an 8 year old... i can only imagine his demeanor with a college aged athlete...

i don't have any clue how far down the ladder you would have to go to get into a room run where you will be coddled, but, those tweets tell me that is what that kid needs right now... 

there is a personality conflict going on no doubt, but, it is painfully obvious it is primarily internal... and i can assure that OSU room is not a hold your hand room... having been in that room during the real wrestling season when it serves as the regional training center, there is one coach in particular that is not very warm and fuzzy even to an 8 year old... i can only imagine his demeanor with a college aged athlete...

i don't have any clue how far down the ladder you would have to go to get into a room run where you will be coddled, but, those tweets tell me that is what that kid needs right now... 

I don't doubt some of the conflict is internal and I'm well aware of how little patience a college coach can have, especially the type who expects nothing less than winning, it is after-all his only job at the university. 

I don't necessarily agree that anybody needs coddling but support is sometimes necessary. I have a feeling weight control is a big part of this, or at least the catalyst. 

I say pull a Kolat type situation. Go back near his home and find a decent small school wrestling program that is farther out of the wrestling spotlight he is in now. Worry about the school part for a semester rather than the wrestling thing. Then start figuring out how to refocus on what made him like wrestling and competing. At that point he can build things back up again and he will likely refind what he has lost, in relation to the sport. Maybe he never reaches National Champ status but he at least gets back on a good life track, finish his wrestling career on better terms, and will likely prove he still has the ability to beat some tough opponents.

Edited by MadMardigain

I still think his situation is more about personalities than the college grind. He probably just wants to wrestle and Smith does not seem to be that kind of coach.  

Zebra, from what I'm reading, it seems like you were in a pressure-less wrestling state of mind in college. Your degree field obviously is one of those that requires long hours of study, but I'm not buying it that your situation was similar in any way, shape or form to Chance's. "Let no man judge me lest he has walked a mile in my moccasins- old Indian proverb".

Remember that he last wrestled in high school at 170 HOW MANY YEARS AGO? If he and JS had an agreement that he would come to OSU AND be at 157, that's their business. If so, was that realistic?  It sounds not, and maybe JS needs to re-group.

If he violated team rules as the article said, then that's on Chance.

Let the kid alone. Wrestling/major weight cutting is awful enough. Let him re-group and not become a sad statistic- too much of that going around.

Judge not, lest ye be judged by the same measure.

I don't doubt some of the conflict is internal and I'm well aware of how little patience a college coach can have, especially the type who expects nothing less than winning, it is after-all his only job at the university. 

I don't necessarily agree that anybody needs coddling but support is sometimes necessary. I have a feeling weight control is a big part of this, or at least the catalyst. 

no doubt the kid doesn't like pulling weight... it is my understanding that he was good enough in MS/HS that he never had to pull, is that correct?

so, if he never learned how to do it correctly, i am sure it is a big strain...

i think we can all agree that wrestling at a high level is as much about sacrifice and extreme discipline as anything else... that is why only those who truly love the sport can stick with it for any length of time... perhaps the kid never really had to suffer for wrestling because he was so naturally talented as compared to his counterparts at the time that he never really had to find out if he really loved wrestling to begin with... perhaps he is finding out now that he doesn't love it enough to suffer for it...

all purely conjecture based off of the "poor me" tweets... 

Zebra, from what I'm reading, it seems like you were in a pressure-less wrestling state of mind in college. Your degree field obviously is one of those that requires long hours of study, but I'm not buying it that your situation was similar in any way, shape or form to Chance's. "Let no man judge me lest he has walked a mile in my moccasins- old Indian proverb".

Remember that he last wrestled in high school at 170 HOW MANY YEARS AGO? If he and JS had an agreement that he would come to OSU AND be at 157, that's their business. If so, was that realistic?  It sounds not, and maybe JS needs to re-group.

If he violated team rules as the article said, then that's on Chance.

Let the kid alone. Wrestling/major weight cutting is awful enough. Let him re-group and not become a sad statistic- too much of that going around.

Judge not, lest ye be judged by the same measure.

First of all I never said my situation was more or less pressure filed than any other student athlete. I am not now or have I ever judged Marsteller and his actions or decisions. They are his for his own reasons. 

What I am saying is that I just don't accept the "My experience was harder that yours" argument. 

Now if internet posters choose to read more into my statements than are actually there is it not my fault. I say what I say and try to make it clear. Unfortunately all too often people stop reading the actual words on the page and assume things beyond the meaning of those words. My response was a direct response to a specific statement which I feel is overgeneralized and too broad based. It was not comparing anything to anything or anyone to anyone.