Sign in to follow this  
DiMaria

Chance Marsteller quitting the sport of wrestling?

First of all I never said my situation was more or less pressure filed than any other student athlete. I am not now or have I ever judged Marsteller and his actions or decisions. They are his for his own reasons. 

What I am saying is that I just don't accept the "My experience was harder that yours" argument. 

Now if internet posters choose to read more into my statements than are actually there is it not my fault. I say what I say and try to make it clear. Unfortunately all too often people stop reading the actual words on the page and assume things beyond the meaning of those words. My response was a direct response to a specific statement which I feel is overgeneralized and too broad based. It was not comparing anything to anything or anyone to anyone.   

But the thing is..his experience WAS harder than yours.  You can't compare wrestling D2 to the scrutiny/time/expectations of being a top recruit in D1.  Then factor in the weight cut to 157 and injury history..It's just a level of difficulty that most of us (myself included) can't understand.  Of course, some people are able to live up to the expectations and excel, but rather than reflect on Chance, I think it is more of an indication of how exceptional they really are.

You cite your major/scholarship as an additional challenge Chance doesn't have to overcome...but honestly there aren't many places in D2 that are considered top schools academically, so even that claim is dubious.  Basically, you are taking criticism here because you are "piling on" and using your own experiences to justify it.

Edited by Billyhoyle

no doubt the kid doesn't like pulling weight... it is my understanding that he was good enough in MS/HS that he never had to pull, is that correct?

so, if he never learned how to do it correctly, i am sure it is a big strain...

He said the cut to 160 his junior year in high school was really tough, even with the +3lb allowance. That doesn't mean that he's figured out how to do it correctly, either, so one can only imagine how brutal the drop to 157 must have been for him. And not pointing fingers by any means, but someone also mentioned previously that his girlfriend is always tweeting about dessert and junkfoods, which I'm sure did not help the situation.

Edited by pamela

this does not appear to be about chance having a harder time than anyone else... this is about chance never being taught the tools to properly cope with a hard situation period... this is not about wrestling...

He said the cut to 160 his junior year in high school was really tough, even with the +3lb allowance. That doesn't mean that he's figured out how to do it correctly, either, so one can only imagine how brutal the drop to 157 must have been for him. And not pointing fingers by any means, but someone also mentioned previously that his girlfriend is always tweeting about dessert and junkfoods, which I'm sure did not help the situation.

staying with an unsupportive partner is another sign of self sabotage... 

Zebra, what's getting folks riled up is the notion that a D2 wrestling experience is comparable to a D1 experience at the most historically successful program in the country wrestling behind the pound for pound best wrestler in college. I hate to be yet another guy to break it to you, but you are wrong.

You were an engineer, so perhaps this analogy will resonate with you. Taking AP physics at a good public high school is not as hard as studying to make the dean's list at MIT with a full course load. It's just not and never will be.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

you guys are as bad as the degenerate Jerry Springer guests standing up and shouting to the equally degenerate crowds, "YOU DON'T KNOW ME!!!"

zebra can intelligently talk about the balancing act that collegiate athletes go through because by all rites he was one... and i dont really think it matters 2 bits whether it is D1 or D2 or the local JUCO schools... the experiences are all similar enough to be able to relate...

chance is not going through anything extraordinary... it is extraordinary for him because he does not have the emotional stability and tools to deal with it...

clearly the environment is not the issue... 

The honest truth, and what I have tried to point out, is NONE of us know what he is going through.  We are all ONLY guessing no matter how educated we think we are.  With that in mind, I simply said it probably isn't accurate or fair for us to call him a quitter AND make jokes about it.........

Edited by MSU158

well, to be fair, he did quit... but jokes are definitely in bad taste...

a friend goes to the OSU home duals and told me that chance does not hang out with the team... doesn't warm up with them... there is no outward appearance that he is happy there... then to screw up enough to get you thrown off the team (more than likely not a first offense)... then to "quit" wrestling before an official announcement was made that you were suspended...

this is not rocket science... the kid has problems that are not wrestling based... hopefully he can figure it out

He probably just wants to wrestle and Smith does not seem to be that kind of coach.  

So its the coach's fault?  And who are these other coaches that are benching their starters just because they've got a 3rd stringer who "just wants to wrestle?"  It seems the coach has given him plenty of opportunity and guessing could've been more in the future.  And what about Blees, why are none posting that he should get a opportunity (although just like CM there's probably a reason).  Why is it that CM deserves more than others, is it because he's from PA and thus automatically trumps any from ND, or OK or is it because he has 4 state titles and others only 3.  This isn't high school and high school results no longer matter.

Zebra - The grind is tough. Regardless of level, I don't discount that.

But his situation is likely 180 degrees different from anything you dealt with while wrestling in college.

The pressure, demands and constant micro-management of weight and activity he was probably going through takes everything out of the sport (and probably him). Being thousands of miles from home without a support network compounds things. I know, I have experience with it in a Big 10 program.

It doesn't seem that you went through that. As a father, I hope your son doesn't. 

and....Stillwater is no Madison  ( not much else to do)

hmmm....

suspended........... imo..... that certainly isn't quitting. more like saying  "nobody will pass me the ball, so I am going home.

I'm all for...... Break the rules..pay the price.

My hope is first and foremost is the the young man is OK. Then, that this is more of a reaction to the suspension than anything and that he lands strongly on his feet in a program that fits his needs.

Good luck and God Speed young man.

So its the coach's fault?  And who are these other coaches that are benching their starters just because they've got a 3rd stringer who "just wants to wrestle?"  It seems the coach has given him plenty of opportunity and guessing could've been more in the future.  And what about Blees, why are none posting that he should get a opportunity (although just like CM there's probably a reason).  Why is it that CM deserves more than others, is it because he's from PA and thus automatically trumps any from ND, or OK or is it because he has 4 state titles and others only 3.  This isn't high school and high school results no longer matter.

If a kid just wants to wrestle (and go to class), but isn't seeing mat time,  he should go to a school that actually has Opens on the majority of their schedule, because then if he isn't the top brass that week he can move on and go wrestle.   Maybe he needs to go down to another division where some coaches would be more than willing to let him wrestle a lot.  

and....Stillwater is no Madison  ( not much else to do)

Can't image what there could be to do in Madison but pretty sure they no longer wrestle there:

'The wussification of Wisconsin has begun.

Last month the state’s governing body for high school athletics declared that chanting “U-S-A, U-S-A,” is unsportsmanlike behavior.

The Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association also directed schools to stop fans from booing, or chanting “Air Ball,” “Season’s Over,” “Fundamentals,” “Scoreboard,” and “Over-Rated.”'

;)

Can't image what there could be to do in Madison but pretty sure they no longer wrestle there:

Last month the state’s governing body for high school athletics declared that chanting “U-S-A, U-S-A,” is unsportsmanlike behavior.

The Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association also directed schools to stop fans from booing, or chanting “Air Ball,” “Season’s Over,” “Fundamentals,” “Scoreboard,” and “Over-Rated.”'

;)

The reigning B1G 165# Champion begs to differ.

;)

If they say chanting USA-USA is unsportsmanlike,  I say what a bunch of baloney, NOT being able to chant USA is anti American, which seems to be a growing problem on College campuses, examples University of California Berkeley AND UC Irvine both had student groups try to have the American flag taken down from those campuses (and UC Irvine took it down for a few weeks) and the reason they gave was it is a symbol of patriotism, patriotism = love of country I always thought that is a good thing, anyways sorry to be WAAAAY off subject, but I hate the wussification of America and Anti-Americanism that seems to be going on.

If they say chanting USA-USA is unsportsmanlike,  I say what a bunch of baloney, NOT being able to chant USA is anti American, which seems to be a growing problem on College campuses, examples University of California Berkeley AND UC Irvine both had student groups try to have the American flag taken down from those campuses (and UC Irvine took it down for a few weeks) and the reason they gave was it is a symbol of patriotism, patriotism = love of country I always thought that is a good thing, anyways sorry to be WAAAAY off subject, but I hate the wussification of America and Anti-Americanism that seems to be going on.

Political correctness is ruining this country. 

The reigning NCAA 165# Champ is from Wisconsin as well.

but he wrestled there pre w of W, believe BadgerMon & I were both talking about current thus post w of W. ;)

and back on subject:

"Reports surfaced later Tuesday that Marsteller had quit the team, which Smith said were untrue."

http://m.newsok.com/oklahoma-state-wrestling-cowboys-suspend-two-starters-for-remainder-of-season/article/5472203

Edited by ionel

but he wrestled there pre w of W, believe BadgerMon & I were both talking about current thus post w of W. ;)

and back on subject:

"Reports surfaced later Tuesday that Marsteller had quit the team, which Smith said were untrue."

http://m.newsok.com/oklahoma-state-wrestling-cowboys-suspend-two-starters-for-remainder-of-season/article/5472203

His tweet has also been deleted. 

Zebra, what's getting folks riled up is the notion that a D2 wrestling experience is comparable to a D1 experience at the most historically successful program in the country wrestling behind the pound for pound best wrestler in college. I hate to be yet another guy to break it to you, but you are wrong.

You were an engineer, so perhaps this analogy will resonate with you. Taking AP physics at a good public high school is not as hard as studying to make the dean's list at MIT with a full course load. It's just not and never will be.

But don't forget to take into consideration...

A guy taking AP physics at a good public high school can still be EVEN SMARTER than a guy at MIT studying to make the dean's list.

It has always been that way, and always will be.

It's not uncommon in scholastics or wrestling to confuse an individual's talent with their 'classification'.

But don't forget to take into consideration...

A guy taking AP physics at a good public high school can still be EVEN SMARTER than a guy at MIT studying to make the dean's list.

It has always been that way, and always will be.

It's not uncommon in scholastics or wrestling to confuse an individual's talent with their 'classification'.

So what??

None of that changes the fact that it is MUCH, MUCH HARDER to excel at MIT than at some podunk engineering program. Having talent and putting it to work in an environment that maximally challenges that talent are very, very different things. You can "classify" highly, but if you practice with tier 2 guys and compete in a league chock full of them, I don't care if you're Jordan Burroughs, your experience is just not the same. Never will be.

Edited by wrestlingnerd