Sign in to follow this  
DiMaria

Chance Marsteller quitting the sport of wrestling?

OSU: good wrestling

zebra's D2 school that supposedly gave him the same experience as Marsteller: podunk wrestling

MIT: good engineering

University of Idaho: podunk engineering

I know it's a difficult analogy, but do you get it?

No need to get all worked up.  I am just saying Engineering is a tough road at any school.  I would say that Engineering at Idaho may be more difficult to do while wrestling than Agriculture is at Cornell while wrestling?  Im not real smart though.....

Well to try and calm the chatter a bit smith just recently said that Chance did not quit the team but he is suspended. For what I don't know but it apparently involved the law because he has a court case. now before anyone goes crazy if it was as serious as or worse then let's say what the 3 wrestlers at Iowa did last season I'm sure smith would have done exactly what brands did and show him the door but he didn't

Edited by NYWRESTLER94

No need to get all worked up. I am just saying Engineering is a tough road at any school. I would say that Engineering at Idaho may be more difficult to do while wrestling than Agriculture is at Cornell while wrestling? Im not real smart though.....

I would say the ag kid could teach all the engineering classes at Idaho. But Im not dat smurt ither.

None of that changes the fact that it is MUCH, MUCH HARDER to excel at MIT than at some podunk engineering program. 

ahh … you do realized that if taking the 8 hour PE exam (usually end of SR year for those taking) it is the same exam regardless of whether you went to MIT or Podunk U, correct?  Not all need to take it, but generally students from every major U take it thus most all major university need to teach to a standard.   Undergraduate Eng. is very mathematical and kind black or white.  You either did the calculations correct or not.  It’s not like Philosophy or Leisure Studies and probably more of a standard across U than say even Econ, Stat, Math etc. 

Many of those Universities ranked top 10 are so because of the graduate programs.  Now it is much harder to get into MIT & Stanford in Eng. but also think about the fact if they have better instructors then perhaps easier for the students to learn the same material being taught at Podunk U.  Can it be worth the MIT or Stanford Eng. B.S. degree, sure.  Its possible there are harder problem sets, home work etc. at the MITs vs pU.  One of the classes I’ve heard is especially hard is Thermal but from both a Top 5/7 & and one of your Podunk Us its because there is just so much homework and time spent on material, the amount of time spent on homework/problem sets etc. per hour of course work in Eng. at a top 7 & pU I’ve hear about is similar.

I know 3 (now So.) who all chose one of your Podunk Us, all 3 out of state from 3 different states because all 3 got 4 year full ride (tuition, books, room/board) scholarship offers.  All 3 could’ve gone to a top 5 program ($45k+/yr) 2 of the 3 are making a little money each year over cost, they will all graduate with no debt.  Those 2 also were pretty decent wrestlers who chose academics instead.   2 of the 3 (different set of 2) also will receive (as long as accepted) all expense paid masters degree from Cambridge after the B.S. from Podunk U.  All 3 had internships following Fr year.  All 3 also had internship in hand for So summer (2016) by mid fall semester with major companies in CA, TX & OK, believe paying $32 - $36/hr.  I know the OKC is $36/yr with housing paid, figure out what $36/hr equates to on an annual basis, not bad for kids (well young men) with 2 years of course work from Podunk U.  

Its not always about the U stamped on the diploma or who's your coach, but what you do with the opportunity.

you guys are as bad as the degenerate Jerry Springer guests standing up and shouting to the equally degenerate crowds, "YOU DON'T KNOW ME!!!"

zebra can intelligently talk about the balancing act that collegiate athletes go through because by all rites he was one... and i dont really think it matters 2 bits whether it is D1 or D2 or the local JUCO schools... the experiences are all similar enough to be able to relate...

chance is not going through anything extraordinary... it is extraordinary for him because he does not have the emotional stability and tools to deal with it...

clearly the environment is not the issue... 

You and Zebra are both delusional.  Comparing an experience at a D2 school to what Marstellar is going through is not even in the same universe.  I assure you that nobody cared, or even knew about Zebra's wrestling outcomes or success in college.  Maybe his family, coach and team did...but not many more than that.  Now compare that to being hailed as the # 1 wrestler in the nation, who won everything at every level, successfully competed on the world level & is now center stage at the most historic program in the country.  Unable to beat Dierenger, and has to make the cut to 157 to try and start.  In comes the coaches son, who is equally talented and suddenly the status as "the best" is gone.  The confidence is shot.  Perhaps it leads to bad behavior. 

I am pretty sure that Zebra had no experience like that.  Not dismissing the relevance of competing at the D2 level, just noting that they are very different scenario's

I hope he turns up somewhere else. I too think it is just a bad fit. He has the skills, but probably needs to be at 165.

Programs I think would be good for him

1) Nebraska comes to mind first

2) Virginia..... Steve Garland is a very personable and good coach.

3) Oregon State..... Zalesky would probably like to have him

4) West Virginia. ... not sure he would be released to a big 12 school, but Henson and Marble would do well with him I think

5) Central Michigan

6) Edinboro

7) South Dakota..... Possibly

I think any of those programs would be able to rebuild his confidence. The first four especially, since all consistantly have coaches that push out multiple All-Americans. Edinboro could be in there too. For the freestyle aspect I would say that Nebraska or West Virginia would be the best option.

I have zero doubt he can still All-American a couple years and maybe even win an NCAA title. He just needs the right program. Someone also mentioned that he would ride the bench at PSU. I'm not so sure. Given the right mental situation he is plenty capable of starting for PSU.

Jmo

I hope he turns up somewhere else. I too think it is just a bad fit. He has the skills, but probably needs to be at 165.

Programs I think would be good for him

1) Nebraska comes to mind first

2) Virginia..... Steve Garland is a very personable and good coach.

3) Oregon State..... Zalesky would probably like to have him

4) West Virginia. ... not sure he would be released to a big 12 school, but Henson and Marble would do well with him I think

5) Central Michigan

6) Edinboro

7) South Dakota..... Possibly

I think any of those programs would be able to rebuild his confidence. The first four especially, since all consistantly have coaches that push out multiple All-Americans. Edinboro could be in there too. For the freestyle aspect I would say that Nebraska or West Virginia would be the best option.

I have zero doubt he can still All-American a couple years and maybe even win an NCAA title. He just needs the right program. Someone also mentioned that he would ride the bench at PSU. I'm not so sure. Given the right mental situation he is plenty capable of starting for PSU.

Jmo

UVa is a tough academic school.  Not sure what his grades were like, but the balancing act at UVa is more difficult than most other programs.  I think West Va., Edinboro, Campbell, ODU all seem like programs where he could bounce back. 

I think the more important issue for him now is to just get his head right.  Based on what I have read, he has a very difficult family situation back in Pa.  It doesn't help much when you don't have a mom or dad to rely on.  Hopefully there are people in his life that can give him guidance & love.  Wrestling is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.  In fact, if he never wrestled again...his name would be etched in memories for decades.  Figure out what you want Chance, but stay away from people who want to bring you down to their level.  Maybe a change of scenery brings the passion back? 

That's all well and good. I have no problem with that.

What I have a problem with is guys who couldn't have made it as a waterboy at OSU pretending to know what it's like to wrestle at OSU while getting the piss pounded out of you by Alex Dieringer and having to starve yourself to exhaustion. It's one thing to say what you say, "shame on him for quitting", which is fine, but it's quite another to say, "I know what he went through and it's not that big a deal."

I hear ya, I'm not one of those guys and I did wrestle 4 years in college.

What a bunch of losers you guys are. Comparing your 2 years you wrestled for a bumf*ck D3 school to a P4P #1 recruit at a top D1 school like Oklahoma State who also competed under the microscope of the social media age.  

Oh goody.

I was worried this wouldn't turn into a penis measuring competition.

UVa is a tough academic school.  Not sure what his grades were like, but the balancing act at UVa is more difficult than most other programs.  I think West Va., Edinboro, Campbell, ODU all seem like programs where he could bounce back. 

I think the more important issue for him now is to just get his head right.  Based on what I have read, he has a very difficult family situation back in Pa.  It doesn't help much when you don't have a mom or dad to rely on.  Hopefully there are people in his life that can give him guidance & love.  Wrestling is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.  In fact, if he never wrestled again...his name would be etched in memories for decades.  Figure out what you want Chance, but stay away from people who want to bring you down to their level.  Maybe a change of scenery brings the passion back? 

If he really needs guidance and Love, then be very selective where you go, not many wrestling rooms with that!  especially the Love.

I was undefeated vs the BYE family. I had their number. Wouldn't even show up to wrestle me.

I remember a kids tournament where one of the Bye cousins won a first round match. They later changed the bracket so guessing didn't really make weight, illegal shoes, singlet, etc.

Old Marine, you seem to be dialed in the ASU wrestling. If he is even considering wrestling again,  Marsteller could be a fit out there, depending on his location preference. Depending on where A Valencia wrestles, ASU has a 165 or 174 need. They have many great guys that have great makeup. Good luck to him on finding the right path to take to whatever is the next stage in his life.

Not sure how the dynamic of Pendleton and Oliver as asst coaches and a former Cowboy with Coach Smith issues would play out in the room. 

Everything being equal, ASU, Sunkist/RTC, Valencia(s) and the coaching would be a nice environment for a 165/174 63k guy. 

Whatever happens, may he get his head on straight and wrestle at a weight he's comfortable with (if he stays with it).

Wasn't there someone named Bye who placed at Fargo in the past couple years? I remember getting a chuckle out of the bracket, but he was a solid wrestler.

http://www.yankton.net/sports/article_c7e4d87c-5644-11e4-9718-af88089bd147.html

EDIT: Or it could've also been his cousin: http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=64500&SPID=7136&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=210458039&Q_SEASON=2015

Edited by HurricaneWrestling