Sign in to follow this  
DiMaria

Chance Marsteller quitting the sport of wrestling?

Chance has got to do what is best for him. But as an outsider looking in, I would be out of there! Chance should have kept his weight up and wrestled 174 from day one(Ringer 165)! Two years basically wasted sucking down to 157 and losing to kids he should have never lost to. My gosh he was 170 and above his last two years of HS and was the best kid his senior year in the USA. To see a PA kid like Zavasky, who Chance hammered at states having great success at a heavier weight(184) just irks me. Or a Pete Renda(184) who Chance was head and shoulders better than. I know this subject has been beating to death. Anyway I hope to see him wrestle in a different single next year.

Give him some credit that he now appears to be doing what he should be doing, using his talent to help others (report of work with Stillwater HS wrestlers) and he should be focused on helping his team.  I'm not saying he wasn't focused on his team in the past, but at least he and another wrestler had a short lapse of thinking of what was only best for them rather than the team and rules and thus why they aren't wrestling spring semester.  If not for that, Chance would've been the starter for the last month+ with the injury to Smith and gaining valuable experience and helping his team.  It's also not his job to do what internet poster think is best for them.  Chance is just finishing his rsFr year, give him a break, there are many guys who don't successfully make the transition to college wrestling before So. or Jr. year and there are plenty of examples of guys with great success at high school because they were more mature or peaked strength wise and thus finished growing early versus others with less success (or success with less muscle mass) who were still growing and peaking in college and perhaps weight training to better fit their college weight and wrestling style.  The same issues he had at 157 were there when he wrestled 165.

Regarding C. Rogers, he just beat the #2 guy at 174, beat the #4 at Scuffle and pinned the ~#3 (compare that pin to the recent 125lb pin) before he then got pinned.  Very doubtful that a 3rd/4th string 157lb can currently beat at 165lb a guy who just had that kind of success at 174, but next year, sure who knows?

Guest Kingsland

Chance also likes to work off that under hook, which I don't think would be a great idea with Rodgers.

Give him some credit that he now appears to be doing what he should be doing, using his talent to help others (report of work with Stillwater HS wrestlers) and he should be focused on helping his team.  I'm not saying he wasn't focused on his team in the past, but at least he and another wrestler had a short lapse of thinking of what was only best for them rather than the team and rules and thus why they aren't wrestling spring semester.  If not for that, Chance would've been the starter for the last month+ with the injury to Smith and gaining valuable experience and helping his team.  It's also not his job to do what internet poster think is best for them.  Chance is just finishing his rsFr year, give him a break, there are many guys who don't successfully make the transition to college wrestling before So. or Jr. year and there are plenty of examples of guys with great success at high school because they were more mature or peaked strength wise and thus finished growing early versus others with less success (or success with less muscle mass) who were still growing and peaking in college and perhaps weight training to better fit their college weight and wrestling style.  The same issues he had at 157 were there when he wrestled 165.

Regarding C. Rogers, he just beat the #2 guy at 174, beat the #4 at Scuffle and pinned the ~#3 (compare that pin to the recent 125lb pin) before he then got pinned.  Very doubtful that a 3rd/4th string 157lb can currently beat at 165lb a guy who just had that kind of success at 174, but next year, sure who knows?

I totally disagree with pretty much everything you wrote. I will leave it at that. 

Chance has got to do what is best for him. But as an outsider looking in, I would be out of there! Chance should have kept his weight up and wrestled 174 from day one(Ringer 165)! Two years basically wasted sucking down to 157 and losing to kids he should have never lost to. My gosh he was 170 and above his last two years of HS and was the best kid his senior year in the USA. To see a PA kid like Zavasky, who Chance hammered at states having great success at a heavier weight(184) just irks me. Or a Pete Renda(184) who Chance was head and shoulders better than. I know this subject has been beating to death. Anyway I hope to see him wrestle in a different single next year.

You falsely assume Chance should still be better than all of those kids because he was one better than they were in high school. A lot of things can change as athletes get older. Chance was once better than Dieringer too, now he's nowhere close to him even when he's not cutting any weight. I guess you believe he should be winning that matchup too?

I totally disagree with pretty much everything you wrote. I will leave it at that. 

Well actually, it really doesn't matter if you agree with my opinion and doesn't matter if either of us are right or wrong, all that really matters is what's true and factual.  Are you suggesting the reason CM is not wrestling this semester is for some reason other than that he was thinking only of himself and not the team.  

All the match results and information we have indicates Marsteller currently can't beat Smith, Dieringer, C Rogers or K Crutchmer.  Chandler is also a 165 rsFr and was a 4 time state champ, so why would any necessarily pick Chance over Chandler or vice versa without considering current results?  K Brock, J Smith (both true Fr) and C Rogers have all 3 had great success this year.  Probably instructive to consider who was the best technical college coach in the country during the middle of the Gable era and then what these 3 wrestlers have in common.