Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

J'Den Cox cutting to 86 kg

I don't know why anyone would say Folkstyle is Cox's best style.  He's a takedown virtuoso and his neutral defense is second to none at that size.  That fact that he got so good at riding so fast says something about his work ethic and learning curve.  It's hard to believe he'd be the instant favorite at 190, but most people didn't think he was the favorite at the beginning of his freshman year, either.  It will be interesting, no doubt.  What surprises me is, I know he has a tremendous desire for a re-match with Snyder.  Guess he's thinking 2020 now.

I don't know why anyone would say Folkstyle is Cox's best style. He's a takedown virtuoso and his neutral defense is second to none at that size.

How about the fact that Cox is an NCAA champion in folkstyle and has done zero in freestyle at the Olympic level? Do you really think he could step in right after a folkstyle season and not having trained for freestyle in God knows how long and wrestle better than the style he won an NCAA title in? That is a pretty big stretch. Snyder was very dedicated to and active in freestyle before he stepped in and became the man.

Cox could make things interesting, agreed, but objectively, he is nothing more than a dark horse at the moment.

he is more than a little bigger than Dake-35lbs at least. We need a guy about the size of Varner here or Cael or Cox. Ruth is undersized a bit-I stand by that.

He may be 100 lbs bigger than Dake, but he is absolutely NOT going to be 35 lbs bigger or close if they wrestle less than one day after weighing in at 86 kg. You don't get a month to recover, you know. Against all but Dake, who is obviously the one guy who is severely undersized at 86 kg, Cox will be 5-10 lbs bigger than the rest of his competition. No more. He doesn't have enough time to gain 25+ lbs.

The reason Ruth has not had more success internationally has absolutely nothing to do with his size and everything to do with his defense.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Good grief guys-getting a bit heated? I personally am not a MU fan or a Cox fan. Just want our team to be the best that is all. Think we need a couple of 213 guys to make a cut if they want on the Olympic team. Cox or Varner would be the preference to me. If Dake medals I will eat lbs of crow. And I would love to see Dake do it! Just being a realist and just was excited when I saw that Cox was going 190 for OTT. No one is beating Snyder-kid is focused! I would like the team to be:

Scott

Metcalf

Burroughs

Varner

Snyder

Tervel

True but he aint beating Snyder. Cut for one last event. It is 190 not 185 which is a big difference around Varner who is around 217/218 he says before cutting. That is very doable. Then retire. Better than being in 2nd place in your last event. He has an outside chance against Snyder but I would say very outside chance. He can make 190 but would have to start now to do it right. That would be a great team-just saying.

So Varner can't make 190 and Cox can?They are identical sizes, muscular builds and everything. Tough cut for Varner but Snyder wins by a couple of takedowns at least and either you cut to 190 where he would be hands down favorite to make the team or you sit at home and watch the Olympics. I know what I would do. Sharipov is in the same position in AZE-does not want to cut but stands no chance of making the team over Gaz. The stakes are high especially when you are capable of medalling like Varner would be at 190. Almost anyone else is goes 0-1, 1-1 or 0-2 at 190 for the US.

cox is making 197 during the college season. making 189, 8 lbs lighter, with night before weigh ins should not be a problem. here's perspective, molinaro went from 149 to 143. both cuts are 4% of their college weights. not literally, should be no sweat.

Their is only six weights. Someone is gonna have to do drastic things to make the team. The best thing for the team would be for Varner to cut to 190-our weakest weight. Scott is doing it at 125 to make up for the weakness of Ramos. So the below team makes sense

125 Scott 

143 Metcalf

163 Burroughs

190 Varner

213 Snyder

275 Tervel

This team could win team Gold possibly.

Edited by PRyan2012

Their is only six weights. Someone is gonna have to do drastic things to make the team. The best thing for the team would be for Varner to cut to 190-our weakest weight. Scott is doing it at 125 to make up for the weakness of Ramos. So the below team makes sense

125 Scott

143 Metcalf

163 Burroughs

190 Varner

213 Snyder

275 Tervel

This team could win team Gold possibly.

Your logic clearly puts green at 65. Oversight or did you leave him out intentionally?

Good grief guys-getting a bit heated? I personally am not a MU fan or a Cox fan. Just want our team to be the best that is all. Think we need a couple of 213 guys to make a cut if they want on the Olympic team. Cox or Varner would be the preference to me. If Dake medals I will eat lbs of crow. And I would love to see Dake do it! Just being a realist and just was excited when I saw that Cox was going 190 for OTT. No one is beating Snyder-kid is focused! I would like the team to be:

Scott

Metcalf

Burroughs

Varner

Snyder

Tervel

Varner to 86?  haha

If we're doing that, I'd like to see the team be 

57 Pico

65 Burroughs

74 Dake

86 Varner

97 Snyder 

120 Dlegnav

Didn't Cox beat Snyder in Fargo finals 2 or 3 years ago? He may not be polished at the senior level due to current focus on folkstyle, but until he hit college 2-1/2 years ago he was the top HS freestyle wrestler if I am not mistaking. He was also the #1 recruit coming out of HS

Didn't Cox beat Snyder in Fargo finals 2 or 3 years ago? He may not be polished at the senior level due to current focus on folkstyle, but until he hit college 2-1/2 years ago he was the top HS freestyle wrestler if I am not mistaking. He was also the #1 recruit coming out of HS

Noted. But this is a thread about the Olympic trials. There is a bit of a difference.

Fwiw Cox lost to Snyder 4-3 last year at freestyle nationals. Suggests he's at least competent at st level freestyle. No idea about cutting to 86 though- isn't he already a bit sucked out at his college weight?

Btw anyone got a link to that match?

^ What ignorance. They were both first year juniors. They met in the Cadet final the year prior. Cox was actually on the younger side for his grade, he didn't turn 19 until a few weeks before he won a national title. So to answer your (19?) question.... No... just stfu next time.

sheeesh.......... another internet tough guy

as to age........ is there a reason you act like you are 16....... or is it that you are 16?