Sign in to follow this  
bigmik

Iowa vs Penn State @ 125/149

I'll take Gilman over Nico because he is tough to score on and can get his own td's.

Sorenson is so much better than people think and looks better than ever.

Zain is Zain but I think this will also come down to td's.

50/50 for me but if I had to pick I would take Zain.

Are there people who don't think Sorenson is good?  He's terrific. 60/40 for me, but I would also take Zain. 

Collica also beat Sorenson in Freestyle months ago.  Sorenson than handled him in folk. 

Couple things that seem obvious to me

- Sorenson & Zain are probably better folkstyle wrestlers 

- Sorenson got a lot better throughout the year last year. Let alone from the time that freestyle match was wrestled with Zain

- Sorenson has gotten better since last year.

- Zain has also got better since 2 years ago, at least on top.

- They are both very strong

- They are both very good on the mat. 

It will be a close hard fought match unless Zain breaks it open on top. 

Zain turns even good wrestlers with relative ease anymore. Joy to watch. 

Off the top of my head yes he turned Evan Henderson with relative ease but, who else? I know Clagon gave him trouble.

I feel we will know a lot more about how good he is if he wrestles Tsirtsis and Sueflohn this weekend.

Off the top of my head yes he turned Evan Henderson with relative ease but, who else? I know Clagon gave him trouble.

I feel we will know a lot more about how good he is if he wrestles Tsirtsis and Sueflohn this weekend.

A fair point. He hasn't wrestled a ton of highly ranked guys. 

He has wrestled six matches against guys currently ranked in the top 20 by either Intermat, Flo or WIN. He has one pin (Paul Fox of Stanford), three tech falls (Evan Henderson, Alex Griffin of Purdue, and Fox), a major decision (Matt Cimato), and one regular decision (Clalgon).

In his matches against the two opponents he and Sorenson have in common this year, Retherford has a tech fall  over Josh Maruca of Arizona State (who Sorenson beat 6-0) and an 8-1 win over Ken Theobold of Rutgers (who Sorenson beat 9-5).

I think you're right that we'll learn a lot this weekend.  

Guest Kingsland

A fair point. He hasn't wrestled a ton of highly ranked guys.

He has wrestled six matches against guys currently ranked in the top 20 by either Intermat, Flo or WIN. He has one pin (Paul Fox of Stanford), three tech falls (Evan Henderson, Alex Griffin of Purdue, and Fox), a major decision (Matt Cimato), and one regular decision (Clalgon).

In his matches against the two opponents he and Sorenson have in common this year, Retherford has a tech fall over Josh Maruca of Arizona State (who Sorenson beat 6-0) and an 8-1 win over Ken Theobold of Rutgers (who Sorenson beat 9-5).

I think you're right that we'll learn a lot this weekend.

He also teched Mastriani of VT who had a solid season last year, but has missed a lot of this one due to injury. Edited by Kingsland

Nico DEC

Zain MAJ

Just so you know Sorensen has lost 6 matches by a total of 7 points in his career. 3 of those losses were to National Champs. 1 to a national finalist. 1 to another All American and 1 to his teammate in his first tournament.

Billy,

Do you think Mr. Retherford is watching Mr. Sorensen...Hate to see him lose to another National Champion(2016)!!!

P.S. The PSU "Zaintrain"

Just so you know Sorensen has lost 6 matches by a total of 7 points in his career. 3 of those losses were to National Champs. 1 to a national finalist. 1 to another All American and 1 to his teammate in his first tournament.

I stand by my pick - just like I did when I said Taylor would TF Ruth in December.

How many guys in college have beaten Zain? 

In comparison, Zain Retherfod has 3 losses in his career:  2 by identical 7-3 scores to Logan Stieber, one in SV 3-1 to Mitchell Port.

socalnittany,

And in those 3 losses he has lost by 3 more points than Sorenson lost his 6 by.  The point wasn't to mean that Sorenson should win.  It was to point out how unlikely Sorenson losing by major would be................