Sign in to follow this  
bigmik

Iowa vs Penn State @ 125/149

125: Megaludis vs. Gilman

149: Retherford vs. Sorenson

Who wins? In the dual (if there is a dual) and at ncaas? Big 10s?

Interesting matches if you ask me. I've heard a lot of "competitive banter" from several Iowa and Penn State fans about these two match-ups.

bigmik, there won't be a dual. That said, here's how my abacus has it (rankings Dual Impact Index presented by the National Collegiate Open):

125: #1 Gilman dec. #3 Megaludis, 3-0 Hawks

133: #2 Clark dec. #8 Conaway, 6-0 Hawks

141: #23 Moss dec. #43 Carton, 6-3 Hawks

149: #1 Retherford dec. #2 Sorensen, 6-6

157: #1 Nolf maj. #25 Cooper, 10-6 Nittany Lions

165: #7 Rasheed dec. #19 Rhoads, 13-6 Nittany Lions

174: #1 Nickal dec. #10 Meyer, 16-6 Nittany Lions

184: #3 Brooks dec. #10 McCutcheon, 16-9 Nittany Lions

197: #1 McIntosh dec. #4 Burak, 19-9 Nittany Lions

285: #3 Stoll fall #72 Johnson, 19-15 Nittany Lions (Final)

The B1G has just gotten so big that not all of the teams can dual every other team in the conference. 

On topic, I'll take the Penn State guys in both matches. Gilman has a higher chance of beating Megaludis than Sorenson has against Retherford IMO.

I give Gilman & Rutherford the edge.

As stated before, it is pretty  obvious that Gilman is a much better wrestler than he was 2 years ago, while it is up in the air that Nico is much better than the last time he wrestled Gilman.  

The key in the Sorenson/Rutherford match is if Sorenson can get out from bottom or never has to go underneath.  Rutherford is a beast on top. He can blow a match wide open from there. But as we saw in the Clagon match, if a quality guy can get out from him it can be a close match.  Sorenson is much better on his feet than Clagon.  If he can either get out early or never have to go underneath he can win. But you have to give the edge to Rutherford because of his top game. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

Since I am the default PSU hater, here are my thoughts:

125 Gilman by dec. Iowa 3-0  Gilman has improved a ton and I think he can win it all.

133 Clark by dec.    Iowa 6-0  This could get ugly.  Conaway has the biggest heart in D1, but is too small for 133.

141 Gulibon/Moss dec. Iowa 6-3  If Grothus is supposed to be the savior he needs to drastically improve

149 Retherford dec. Tied 6-6  If Sorenson can get the 1st takedown he can win, but I am picking Zain until I see them go at it.

157 Nolf tech.         PSU 11-6  This will be very, very one sided

165 PSU? dec.       PSU 14-6  Decision likely but a pin is possible.

174 Nickal dec.       PSU 17-6  Nickal should win comfortably

184 Brooks dec.     Iowa 17-9  Iowa really needs bonus here but only happens if McCutcheon is still significantly injured

197 McIntosh dec.  PSU 20-9  Burak has looked really good and could pull one out but wouldn't pick him to.

285 Stoll pin           PSU 20-15 Stoll is a pinner and Nevills being gone hurts here.

Definitely the 2 best dual teams.  Iowa has an outside shot to win the dual but they would have to have 2 out of Gilman, Sorenson and Burak win and I just don't see it.  They would also have to get the big bonus out of Stoll as I don't see bonus anywhere else unless Clark can get a tilt or 2 on Conaway.  Too many things would have to go their way to win.

Edited by MSU158

I'll take Gilman over Nico because he is tough to score on and can get his own td's.

Sorenson is so much better than people think and looks better than ever.

Zain is Zain but I think this will also come down to td's.

50/50 for me but if I had to pick I would take Zain.

I like Mega and Retherford.

Gilman has steadily improved so far in his career, while I see Mega as very similar to where he was a couple of years ago, so I feel less confident in picking Mega. I don't think Gilman can figure out Mega's single leg defense this year though.

It seemed to me a few years ago that Megaludis needed to add a little size and a good amount of strength to his body. Right now, he looks just about as strong as he was a few years ago.

How tall is Retherford?

Willl Retherford be able to hang with Sorenson in the ties? I remember Pico wearing Zain down in the ties. Sorenson's long arms and strength may give Retherford problems.

Did Sorenson get taller since the last time they wrestled?  

Edited by PhiferFuqua