Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Wes Phipps to Heavyweight for Penn State? Does that make a difference?

So when Nick Nevills approached Cael Sanderson, keeping in mind that he's the #1 rated HWT in the country that year, what was Cael supposed to do? Blow him off? 

Haines could still have come to Penn State, but HE chose not to. HIS DECISION. Hey, maybe Tom Ryan screwed Haines over by letting Nick Tavanello first, then Kyle Snyder just take his spot. After all, it belonged to Haines by virtue of his commitment. 

So when Nick Nevills approached Cael Sanderson, keeping in mind that he's the #1 rated HWT in the country that year, what was Cael supposed to do? Blow him off? 

Haines could still have come to Penn State, but HE chose not to. HIS DECISION. Hey, maybe Tom Ryan screwed Haines over by letting Nick Tavanello first, then Kyle Snyder just take his spot. After all, it belonged to Haines by virtue of his commitment. 

Oh, I didn't realize Nevillis recruited himself and Cael didn't approach him. That does change the story.

I believe that Cael didn't offer him an official offer.  If Cael said that he didn't offer him an official or unofficial, that's another statement all together.  Any coach who puts an "unofficial offer" in writing, they deserve to get caught.  Verbal offers become his word against the recruits word.

Also, you have to consider how the coaches word these "unofficial offers".  Wording alone can keep a coach out of trouble.

I've had a kid in a Big 10 and a Pac 12 room.

Please tell me more about how coaches talk to high schoolers?

Now you know. Nick called Cael, not the norm but that is what happened. If the top kid at his weight calls you and wants to come to your school you take him up on it.

Or is this just the story that Cael wanted Nick to tell so he could save face for dumping Haines?

Cael sweet talked Haines to get him to committ, ensuring that no one else would go after him since he had committed. All the while knowing he didn't have to keep his word and if someone came along who was better, he could offer them. This is even worse than him pulling an offer. He played a high school kid, twisted his emotions and dreams, then dropped him when Nevillis committed. Disgraceful.

Thanks Mr. Haines

It doesn't happen as often in non revenue sports, but actual verbal offers are occasionally pulled for a variety of reasons. Much more often in FB and BB. However, it happens far less often than a "committed" kid flipping to another offer. That's why for the next three weeks every FB coach will continue to recruit their "committeds", and try to flip someone else's if there is a chance. Hence the need for the binding NLOI. It puts finality to the process (assuming the kid gets into the school).

A spot does NOT BELONG to anyone just because they committed, It is earned by how someone is wrestling in practice, wrestleoffs, open tournaments and most importantly who the coach/s think can produce the most points at NCAA (among the power wrestling schools that are contending for a team championship at NCAA's.)

I think Haines deserves a right to compete for the starting spot, but the spot is not his until he earns it,  from what I read on messageboards Haines lost the wrestleoff to Tavanello (if Haines was getting the best of Tavanello in the room after that I am sure the coach/s would give him more chances, then when Snyder said he wanted to wrestle this year Haines and Tavanello conceded Snyder was better and both agreed not to wrestleoff (which if true is disappointing as no combat athlete should just concede without a fight meaning wrestloff).

Edited by dougb