TFBJR

Gilman

It's way beyond Gilman; I hate the never-ending Brands crap.  I have no affinity to PSU, although we never see their team do anything Iowa-like after 7:00.  Every Brands presser is a low-brow borderline psycho event characterized by a lack of class.  This is a college sport for chrissakes.  It's not war and these are kids. It's not even the UFC and you see better sportsmen in the octagon at bout end than Iowa is putting out.  

We see no teams nor coaches pulling this crap on a regular basis like you see from the Brands Bros. Can't remember once for Cael, Jackson, Robinson, Smith, Douglass, et. al. Compare that to every single match.  And wrt the Gilman / Clark / Stache / Metcalf comments over the years that you see on here - It's hard to even blame the student athletes - this is how they are coached.   Again, just my opinion.   No one in the corn state is going to like it but you can't refute the spectacles.  

If you had an ounce of objectivity I could maybe get on board.  Do you really think a guy from those coaches has never done anything?  Kevin Jackson had a guy throw punches last week.  John Smith's assistant Chris Perry was doing the identical thing (pushing up off a just TF'd opponent) at US Nationals when Valencia went after him (and I say this as a huge OSU and Chris Perry fan).  The same thing happens a dozen times a weekend.  Worse happens regularly.  I think about 4 different D1 guys have thrown punches in the past 2 weeks (FRL covered it extensively in their last podcast).  None of the bare knuckled boxers were from Iowa.  

If I had a kid I coach act this way I'd be all over him until it stopped.  I can see you being bothered by the unnecessary displays of dominance.  It comes off more punk than genuine tough guy.  But you are foaming at the mouth about the evils of Iowa.  You ignore all other teams flaws while putting a microscope on Iowa's.  Everything you write comes off as "I really hate Iowa" far more than it comes off as "I love sportsmanship."   If this is your intent, then keep going just like you are.  If your intent was to talk about sportsmanship than dial back the rhetoric about 9 notches.

Also, so I can get a better sense of what you're saying, can you give a quote (preferably with a link) from Tom Brands at a press conference sounding like a low-brow borderline psycho with no class.  I admittedly don't listen to his press conferences but I listened to him talk with Jason Bryant ahead of the OSU match this year and from an OSU fan, I thought he was well spoken, humble, and funny http://www.mattalkonline.com/podcast/short-time/iowa-head-coach-tom-brands-prepares-for-oklahoma-state-in-outdoor-dual-at-kinnick-stadium-st217/ .  

The brands/iowa way will continue as long as the officials allow it. I'd be 100 percent okay with them calling the wrestlers and coaches out and penalizing them, but until they do nothing will change.

I expected that the rules emphasis on coaches not leaving their demarked corner area would cost Iowa some points, has that happened yet?

It's one thing when guys get a little chippy in a very competitive match or in a heated rivalry; it's another when you see guys like Gilman totally dominate an opponent and then continue to humiliate him with post-whistle shoves and other extracurriculars. Seems to cross the line between hard, aggressive wrestling and cheap bullying. And it's not just Gilman and Iowa wrestlers who do it.

I'm sure I'll get called out for being overly whiny about an aggressive sport full off aggressive competitors, but sportsmanship means a lot to me. Sorry.

I enjoy watching his matches.  If someone can't handle a push or a shove, they shouldn't be in this sport.  He wrestles hard and his goal is to dominate.   If that domination is at 6:55 or 1:00 makes no difference.  Why should he let off the gas?  

It looks like the 7:01 domination that people are taking exception to?

Just the usual forearm in the back of the head post-match nonsense.    Not looking to start the Iowa vs the world back and forth but I think it reflects badly on the sport and any university.  JMO.  

In other related news that starts a new thread, Topher Carton's feelings were hurt.

If you had an ounce of objectivity I could maybe get on board.  Do you really think a guy from those coaches has never done anything?  Kevin Jackson had a guy throw punches last week.  John Smith's assistant Chris Perry was doing the identical thing (pushing up off a just TF'd opponent) at US Nationals when Valencia went after him (and I say this as a huge OSU and Chris Perry fan).  The same thing happens a dozen times a weekend.  Worse happens regularly.  I think about 4 different D1 guys have thrown punches in the past 2 weeks (FRL covered it extensively in their last podcast).  None of the bare knuckled boxers were from Iowa.  

........ You ignore all other teams flaws while putting a microscope on Iowa's.  Everything you write comes off as "I really hate Iowa" far more than it comes off as "I love sportsmanship."   If this is your intent, then keep going just like you are.  If your intent was to talk about sportsmanship than dial back the rhetoric about 9 notches.

You hit the nail on the head boconnell. 

When an Iowa guy does something even minimal (in this case, Gilman), it gets a dedicated thread with venom from the usual haters. But when something far worse and flagrant is committed by some other team.... there's a good chance it won't even get a mention.

A week ago, here's what happened during the tOSU v Mich 125# match (from tOSU website):

>

I saw this match. The penalty point was awarded because, after they went off the mat, clearly out of bounds, Youtsey slammed Tomasello's head into the table. It looked flagrant and very unsportsmanlike. A penalty was correctly called. Probably should've been a DQ.

So what happens? Gilman gets the usual anti-Iowa treatment from tfbjr, flyingtigs and the clown posse for a big nothing, and Youtsey gets a free pass. 

I am not an Iowa fan.  But to say PSU doesn't have some cheap shot wrestlers is a joke.  Watch Zain wrestle Pico.  I know he lost to him about 7 times but in most of the matches he did not even try to wrestle him.  He slapped him in the face poked his eyes  the whole match  Didn't phase Pico as he still beat him.  Retherford did the same thing against Oliver in a freestyle bout too.  I have seen PSU wrestlers do some cheap things too.  Iowa does some uncalled for stuff as well as do a lot of wrestlers.

I am not an Iowa fan. But to say PSU doesn't have some cheap shot wrestlers is a joke. Watch Zain wrestle Pico. I know he lost to him about 7 times but in most of the matches he did not even try to wrestle him. He slapped him in the face poked his eyes the whole match Didn't phase Pico as he still beat him. Retherford did the same thing against Oliver in a freestyle bout too. I have seen PSU wrestlers do some cheap things too. Iowa does some uncalled for stuff as well as do a lot of wrestlers.

False. Only Iowa.

Btw, i just went back and rewatched it. I didn't notice anything the first time thing but figured i must have missed something like Metcalf putting his forearm in the back of Schlatter's head, since I wasn't focusing while watching. Nope. Is this whole thing really about when Gilman got up at the end of the match and put one hand on jiminez' head and the other on his back? Lol.

Typical b.s. responses about other teams guys. Iowa is known for this type of behavior, other teams aren't. Gilman has had numerous examples of unsportsmanlike conduct, guys like Tomasello & Retherford have not. I believe the psychological term for this defense mechanism is deflection. Pretty sure Rosell has a PhD in it. 

"he better be an a-hole, he better be a dick"  Tom Brands, ESPN The Season……what other coach preaches these kind of things to their wrestlers. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Typical b.s. responses about other teams guys. Iowa is known for this type of behavior, other teams aren't. Gilman has had numerous examples of unsportsmanlike conduct, guys like Tomasello & Retherford have not. I believe the psychological term for this defense mechanism is deflection. Pretty sure Rosell has a PhD in it. 

"he better be an a-hole, he better be a dick"  Tom Brands, ESPN The Season……what other coach preaches these kind of things to their wrestlers. 

But what about all of the other teams who have coaches from Iowa?  Or does this behavior start and stop at the borders?  Once you leave the program, you miraculously become a better sport!  

But what about all of the other teams who have coaches from Iowa?  Or does this behavior start and stop at the borders?  Once you leave the program, you miraculously become a better sport!  

Much like leaving a cult, the affects wear off over time as they acclimate back into civil society. 

Whoever tried to compare Paterno to Gilman obviously has a head full of marbles in place of brains. When was the last time Iowa won a national championship?  I know it's been a while. Maybe they should focus on technique, hard work and having fun like Penn State does and maybe they will win a title sometime in the next decade.  But slapping a badge of toughness on a cheap shot or a bunch of press room rhetoric is obviously not getting the job done at Iowa.  Gilman needs a dose of maturity. Anger is empty calories.

Edited by skikayaker

You hit the nail on the head boconnell. 

When an Iowa guy does something even minimal (in this case, Gilman), it gets a dedicated thread with venom from the usual haters. But when something far worse and flagrant is committed by some other team.... there's a good chance it won't even get a mention.

A week ago, here's what happened during the tOSU v Mich 125# match (from tOSU website):

>

I saw this match. The penalty point was awarded because, after they went off the mat, clearly out of bounds, Youtsey slammed Tomasello's head into the table. It looked flagrant and very unsportsmanlike. A penalty was correctly called. Probably should've been a DQ.

So what happens? Gilman gets the usual anti-Iowa treatment from tfbjr, flyingtigs and the clown posse for a big nothing, and Youtsey gets a free pass. 

I believe you just corrected the situation. No more free pass for Youtsey.