skikayaker

Nolf vs IMar

The most representative likely opponent to use to compare Imar and Nolf I think is JoJo.  Imar beat JoJo Smith in the Reno finals that resulted in only one of the two regular decisions for Imar this season.  The victory over JoJo was clearly more dominating than Nolf's victory over JoJo in the Scuffle finals. (Definitely puts JoJo on the map as a serious high level AA contender in March).

Nolf also had a hard fought win over Va Tech's Brachetta winning 4-1. Nolf's mat gymnastics definitely slow down when faced with stiff competition like JoJo and Brachetta.  The question for Imar is if Nolf is able to push the pace and attack without getting hammered in the first half of the match, will Imar be able to hold off Nolf from pulling off the upset late in the 3rd period.  Imar's tank fizzled slightly near the end of his match with JoJo and hung on to win his 2-0 victory against his ASU opponent.

Should be a good one.  It's great for wrestling fans that BTN will be airing this one live at 4PM EST on Saturday.

Edited by skikayaker

I feel like Imar is only getting stronger and in better shape now.

Obviously, it is because of his father's passing that he started the season slower as far as conditioning goes.

Nolf certainly is no slouch in the conditioning department and I can't wait to see it.

Everyone in the country is hyped for this.

My thoughts on the match and your comments

1. Martinez is such a physical specimen that he overwhelms a lot of his opponents that cannot keep up with him athletically. Nolf is very talented, but I think his ability to deal with Imar's strength and speed early in the match will have a lot to say about how this turns out. 

2. Is there a conditioning issue for Martinez? I did not see the ASU match. If there is an issue there, Nolf is one of the few guys with the ability to exploit it.

3. Nolf's win over Brascetta was his second ever varsity match and it was the first weekend of the season. I don't think Brascetta keeps it that close if they wrestle again.

4. Off topic a bit, but you cannot look at Joe Smith's losses and say they make him a high All-American threat. I'm not saying he will or won't place highly in March, but all the losses prove is that those other guys are better than him right now.

All that said, 9-6 seems about right. 3-1 in takedowns and Imar gets riding time.

My thoughts on the match and your comments

1. Martinez is such a physical specimen that he overwhelms a lot of his opponents that cannot keep up with him athletically. Nolf is very talented, but I think his ability to deal with Imar's strength and speed early in the match will have a lot to say about how this turns out.

2. Is there a conditioning issue for Martinez? I did not see the ASU match. If there is an issue there, Nolf is one of the few guys with the ability to exploit it.

3. Nolf's win over Brascetta was his second ever varsity match and it was the first weekend of the season. I don't think Brascetta keeps it that close if they wrestle again.

4. Off topic a bit, but you cannot look at Joe Smith's losses and say they make him a high All-American threat. I'm not saying he will or won't place highly in March, but all the losses prove is that those other guys are better than him right now.

All that said, 9-6 seems about right. 3-1 in takedowns and Imar gets riding time.

It's just so hard to get Martinez into any kind of real trouble because he can do that bizarre headspring flip, generated from his core, seemingly out of any body orientation.  So you would have to pick him off with TDs without him being able to initiate a big move in 7 minutes.  The score predictions ITT seem pretty realistic to me, so I'll go 9-5 iMar

Imar all the way 9 out 10 times!

Nolf's is talented and I watched him beat brascetta but from what I'm hearing nic was injured and not 100%. Imar handily best nic at the ncaa's last year. Comparing nic's losses to both guys, imar was more convincing

The most representative likely opponent to use to compare Imar and Nolf I think is JoJo.  Imar beat JoJo Smith in the Reno finals that resulted in only one of the two regular decisions for Imar this season.  The victory over JoJo was clearly more dominating than Nolf's victory over JoJo in the Scuffle finals. (Definitely puts JoJo on the map as a serious high level AA contender in March).

Nolf also had a hard fought win over Va Tech's Brachetta winning 4-1. Nolf's mat gymnastics definitely slow down when faced with stiff competition like JoJo and Brachetta.  The question for Imar is if Nolf is able to push the pace and attack without getting hammered in the first half of the match, will Imar be able to hold off Nolf from pulling off the upset late in the 3rd period.  Imar's tank fizzled slightly near the end of his match with JoJo and hung on to win his 2-0 victory against his ASU opponent.

Should be a good one.  It's great for wrestling fans that BTN will be airing this one live at 4PM EST on Saturday.

why do you compare nolf and martinez like they're equals?

I think Imar shows how dominant he really is.

Nolf is amazing. In most weight classes, a talent like him wins nationals. At 157? I think he will end up top 4 but won't be Miller or Imar. 

Imar has improved tremendously from even last year in my opinion. I think this match will prove that and he will major Nolf. 

why do you compare nolf and martinez like they're equals?

Nolf beat JoJo by 4 (7-3).

Imar beat JoJo by 6 (11-5)

Not a big difference considering points, especially when you consider that Imar got a 4pt back exposure, but still, Imar had the better win.

Nolf's comments about his performance after the Scuffle victory over JoJo and his expectations with IMar:

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/891459-nolf-finishes-on-instinct

Transitive property of wrestling................is debunk.

Especially in match ups between two guys of these styles and abilities.

Comparing to opponents is hardly going to be proven accurate.

It isn't out of the question someone gets pinned here.

Also, I Nolf no worse than 2nd this year.  No disrespect to Miller or Brascetta or anyone else but Nolf is that good.

I agree, but I had to answer the question. The other answer to Gutfirst's question as to why I talk about the two as if they're equal is, first, I think Imar is the clear favorite. Second, the styles are so distinctly different that it makes for an interesting matchup.  Both are not afraid to take risks, both put on the pressure, both are 20-0, both scramble better than most, and both had great offense and defense.

Anything can happen.  The only tangible comparison is JoJo, which is why I went there initially.

Edited by skikayaker

Nolf is likely to finish second and finish the year with 3 losses. He probably gets seeded 3rd at NCAA and I don't think Miller beats him unless he gets an inside trip to the back that Nolf will surely know is coming.

I am not 100% sure why, but I think Miller beats Nolf. Excited for that matchup at NCAAs (they aren't wrestling before then, right?)

Imar needs to wrestle Ringer. I want to see that match. They probably will wrestle at OTT but I want to see it in college.

I doubt we ever see this, at least any time soon. They are going for different weights at OTT I believe.

Imar, when asked about this matchup, said he think Ringer is more technical than him. He has a lot of healthy respect for him. 

I would pay to see it for sure.

Come on, Nolf over IMart?  Man, no respect for IMart who blitzed the field in what many thought was one of the toughest weights last year with a lot of respected upperclassmen (Ness, Green, Miller, Realbuto [not an upperclassmen, but big talent]) all falling before the Californian.  IMart DEC Nolf 11-4.

Edited by VakAttack

Vak,

I agree.  Nolf is really, really good.  Martinez is great. There is a difference.  If Nolf stays aggressive it could get ugly.  I also don't see Nolf's biggest asset(gas tank) being a factor.  Martinez is a goer.  Still, Nolf's best chance is to try to keep it close until the end and pick his best last moment attack.  Guys, Martinez is really special.

Nolf vs. Miller would be interesting.  Miller has a HUGE "puncher's chance".  Miller is that dangerous. I still can't get over how he threw Caldwell in Freestyle around in back to back matches.  If Nolf stays smart and conservative until the 3rd he should win. However, is that mindset in his DNA?  I would pick Nolf over Miller, but I could see Miller hitting a big move early and making Nolf scramble to come back.