skikayaker

Nolf vs IMar

Anyone else think Nolf & Nickal are better than Taylor and Ruth at the same stage?

Is there even a question that Nolf is? I'd say he's better than both at the same stage.

Nickal remains to be seen, but I'd say no right now. He's at a weak weight and already dropped one to the Indiana kid. He's a stud alright, but not at freshman DT/Ruth level at the moment.

Threadkilla,

How about you make predictions as often? Also, feel free to point out the correct ones as well. It's a ton easier to sit back and then cherry pick after the fact. I never have an issue with admitting being wrong. In fact I often point out when I am. This is DI, nothing is an absolute certainty. Even Sanderson lost as a redshirt. Nolf deserved to win today and he earned my 100% respect. Martinez was starting to look unbeatable. I am very interested to see the rematch!

"I don't know which of these two excellent wrestlers will win the first time they meet" seems like a reasonable position to have staked out before the match.

"Nolf is swell but IMar is the swellest, which you children would know if you were all grown up like me" is a position that could make you look like a horse's behind if you were wrong.

Which you were.

And you do.

I'm also interested to see what happens in the rematch. But an IMar win won't make you any less wrong.

So, what's the top law firm in Happy Valley?

I'll go with Nolf, Nickal and Retherford, although Nolf, Nickal and McIntosh sounds just as good.

Will the members of this law firm be strong enough to argue in front of the US Supreme Court in March?

We'll see.

Edited by TheOhioState

Start listening at the 43 minute mark. You'll hear Penn State wrestling voice Iron head Byers call the Nolf IMar match. Byers is describing the last second escape in period 1, and then they go to the deciding period 2. 

Some opposing wrestling fans aren't super high on Byers, but I love his excitement.

http://www.gopsusports.com/collegesportslive/?media=516734

43 minutes in - 46 minutes in should do it for you.

Oh, and MSU, this is what I was listening to when I wrote that other post. You'll hear what I wrote about dreams. If that was good enough for Byers, then it is good enough for me. Your objections notwithstanding. 

Edited by TBar1977

Start listening at the 43 minute mark. You'll hear Penn State wrestling voice Iron head Byers call the Nolf IMar match. Byers is describing the last second escape in period 1, and then they go to the deciding period 2. 

Some opposing wrestling fans aren't super high on Byers, but I love his excitement.

http://www.gopsusports.com/collegesportslive/?media=516734

43 minutes in - 46 minutes in should do it for you.

I listened to Byers during this match.  I totally agree.  He's awesome.  

So, what's the top law firm in Happy Valley?

I'll go with Nolf, Nickal and Retherford, although Nolf, Nickal and McIntosh sounds just as good.

Will the members of this law firm be strong enough to argue in front of the US Supreme Court in March?

We'll see.

I think if Penn State were 100% healthy they'd be a prohibitive favorite, but the percentages diminish with each injury.

I just hope that Nolf follows iMart up in weight class and show him the lights for the next three years. You all that hate Penn State deserve to see this take place, and it will. Nolf is simply the better athlete. With experience his gap betwen iMart will do nothing but increase. Accept it, live with it, suck on it.

If the kid's dad just died, that should have fueled his fire, not the other way around. Circumstances outside the circle had NOTHING to do with your pet/favorite getting decked by a superior wrestler.

Change of the guard ... you just witnessed it.

phifer,

By predicting an undefeated defending national champ to win over a freshman, I look like a horse's ass? By saying Martinez was great and Nolf was really good, I am a know it all adult and anyone that doesn't agree with me is a child? There are a lot of horses asses and know it alls that follow this sport if that is the case.

You are almost as bad as TBar. If you want to slam predictions cite all of them and then do your own. Cherry picking the few times I am wrong(yes I get a majority correct, do you dispute that? If so cite when I am right AND wrong) doesn't make you the better person. It makes you look very similar to TBar. Blind fanaticism and only looking for what helps your agenda.

As I have said 100 times I am not anti-PSU. I simply don't want to have Sanderson's child and be besties with anyone on the team that would have me. They are a great team with an incredible coach. However, they aren't unbeatable and don't walk on water........

Edited by MSU158

Imar all the way 9 out 10 times!

Nolf's is talented and I watched him beat brascetta but from what I'm hearing nic was injured and not 100%. Imar handily best nic at the ncaa's last year. Comparing nic's losses to both guys, imar was more convincing

Talk about clueless.

iMart was crawdading the entire time I watched the match. He knew good and well what would happen to him and his poorly thought out ink on his left arm if he came anywhere near Nolf.

Oh boy... is his tattoo ever hideous.

Wrestlers do tend to have the worst/trashiest tats for whatever reason.

Ok am I crazy here for thinking Martinez got hosed on calls?  I thought he had a TD before nolfs TD in the 1st (behind the shoulders with a lock and nolf clearly supporting his weight on his other hand) I thought the 2nd stalling call was utterly bogus, and I didn't see how Nolf got awarded that final TD either as it looked like an extended scramble with no clear control by either guy.

Now all that being said, if he gets stuck on his back there its a fall regardless of if Nolf had control or not, and Nolf clearly proved he could more than hang.  But man.. some questionable reffing there from my perspecive

Ok am I crazy here for thinking Martinez got hosed on calls?  I thought he had a TD before nolfs TD in the 1st (behind the shoulders with a lock and nolf clearly supporting his weight on his other hand) I thought the 2nd stalling call was utterly bogus, and I didn't see how Nolf got awarded that final TD either as it looked like an extended scramble with no clear control by either guy.

Now all that being said, if he gets stuck on his back there its a fall regardless of if Nolf had control or not, and Nolf clearly proved he could more than hang.  But man.. some questionable reffing there from my perspecive

You are crazy. (Said in a friendly tone....)

Watch the match again from Flo's camera angle: http://www.flowrestling.org/video/902508-157-m-isaiah-martinez-illinois-vs-jason-nolf-psu

That angle shows some of the sequences more clearly than BTN's.

1. "Blown" TD before Nolf's first? 

Starts around 0:35 of the link above.

No way is that a TD nor was it a lock. It's not even exposure in FS, let alone control in folk. It was a pretty good move by Imart, though, but Nolf got the better of it with a lightning quick spin-behind towards the end.

2. Second stalling call bogus?

Starts around 2:35.

You may have a point. That could have been an "action" non-call. That said, by the letter of the rule book, Imart did in fact step back on the edge, and Nolf did not push him out. Imart stepped back as soon as he recovered from his sprawl; Nolf just followed him. It is technically a correct call. 

I do not like the rules the way the are written, but that's more a rule issue than a ref issue, in my view. They should eliminate ref discretion as much as possible from a rule that covers situations with THREE possible outcomes.

3. No final TD?

Starts around 3:10.

This angle clearly shows Imart breaks his grip while scrambling and Nolf got the TD. Pause it on 3:17 and see for yourself.

I had the same qeustion as you while watching the BTN broadcast but the Flo angle removes all doubt.

Imart looked like he just gave up. He was flat for several seconds.

phifer,

By predicting an undefeated defending national champ to win over a freshman, I look like a horse's ass? By saying Martinez was great and Nolf was really good, I am a know it all adult and anyone that doesn't agree with me is a child? There are a lot of horses asses and know it alls that follow this sport if that is the case.

You are almost as bad as TBar. If you want to slam predictions cite all of them and then do your own. Cherry picking the few times I am wrong(yes I get a majority correct, do you dispute that? If so cite when I am right AND wrong) doesn't make you the better person. It makes you look very similar to TBar. Blind fanaticism and only looking for what helps your agenda.

As I have said 100 times I am not anti-PSU. I simply don't want to have Sanderson's child and be besties with anyone on the team that would have me. They are a great team with an incredible coach. However, they aren't unbeatable and don't walk on water........

It's always one Penn State fan or another, isn't it MSU? But you are not anti PSU? Pretty funny. You don't drag Penn State posts over to Hawkeye Report looking for their acceptance either. Oh wait!

You'd be better off not getting offended by everything pro Penn State, because it is going to be a long run of hurt feelings if you don't get over it. 

Let's face some facts. You were going to be offended today one way or the other once Nolf won. You were looking for it. I could have written "Nolf !!!!!!" and you'd have been offended and had something derogatory to say about it. Like I said, you were looking for it. 

Edited by TBar1977

phifer,

lol........ I am pretty sure Nolf skipped across the pond pretty well today

MSU=Horses Ass. Lol.

Another wrong prediction by MSU. Poor boy. The more he keeps picking against PSU the more he wrong.

MSU should change his handle to HA

Advice..just watch the matches, root for who you like, and appreciate all the good wrestlers out there no matter what singlet they have on. No one cares about your predictions, nor your explanations.

Edited by pish6969

MSU=Horses Ass. Lol.

Another wrong prediction by MSU. Poor boy. The more he keeps picking against PSU the more he wrong.

MSU should change his handle to HA

Advice..just watch the matches, root for who you like, and appreciate all the good wrestlers out there no matter what singlet they have on. No one cares about your predictions, nor your explanations.

I think it's funny that you make your entire post about his prediction and then declare that nobody cares about his prediction.  You should have stayed focused on how wrong he was, that was a winning argument.  

The majority of people who predicted were wrong, not just msu. Attacking him about this is kinda pathetic, you're reaching pretty far for a reason to go after him this time.

Almost everyone picked Imar. That's not the point here. The point is not everyone comes in and gives long winded explanations of why someone won't win or this is how PSU has this hole or that hole.

Just enjoy good wrestling. I'm a huge PSU fan. That being said I love watching Gilman, Garrett, Imar, Snyder, Gwiz.

You'll never see me put down a great wrestler just because of their singlet. IMO MSU can't do that