Sign in to follow this  
HokieHWT

IMar lost on purpose

I believe he was gassed and quit once he was on his back.  And their next matchup will be much different.  The only guy I think that MAY have lost on purpose is when Caldwell got blown out by Metcalf in the All Star.  And if he did, it was damn brilliant.

I believe he was gassed and quit once he was on his back.  And their next matchup will be much different.  The only guy I think that MAY have lost on purpose is when Caldwell got blown out by Metcalf in the All Star.  And if he did, it was damn brilliant.

The regulars down at Buck's Billiards in Raleigh would probably agree with you, Longshot. They say Caldwell hustled a little pool there in his college days and never showed his true speed until the big money was in play. At least that's what I was told when I was down that way a few years ago.

Never heard of this theory here before, but that would have been absolutely the most Machiavellian move in NCAA history.  Let him think he has your number by taking an absolute whopping when it doesn't count at all, and then put the hammer down on the big stage.  Too bad Caldwell can't employ this in his MMA career, for obvious reasons.

Well I do have to admit, my wife, who knows little of wrestling other than going to VT matches the past three wonderful years of our marriage, was the one who started this rumor.

"He didn't look like he wanted to win, like he wanted to lose, the way he just laid there on his back. The guy wasn't even really on top of him or anything. I could have pinned that guy."

Now my wife is a little out of his weight class, closer to Kyle Snyder in fact, 5'10", former college lacrosse player with thighs the size of tree trunks, so that is possible but that's another story for another day.

Don't sell Nolf short.  I don't think ANY of his wins were against guys that tried.  It's true.  Trust me.  I wouldn't say it if it wasn't.

P.S.  Excepting Defaults and Forfeits I don't believe ANY DI wrestler would/has/will intentionally lose.  Some give up, but that is distinctly different.........

Don't sell Nolf short.  I don't think ANY of his wins were against guys that tried.  It's true.  Trust me.  I wouldn't say it if it wasn't.

P.S.  Excepting Defaults and Forfeits I don't believe ANY DI wrestler would/has/will intentionally lose.  Some give up, but that is distinctly different.........

Ever hear/read the Freakonomics of Sumo Wrestling? Their theory was that if there were more incentives in losing than in winning a certain portion of any population will throw bouts regardless of "honor culture" (so-to-speak).  You're probably right, because we have never really had a system set up which would reward losing in any significant way in the NCAA, but it certainly has happened at the World/Olympic level in the sport multiple times.  Doing it as a psychological move is definitely an interesting concept/ thought experiment which says a lot about how we view competitive values.

I can hardly take the title of this thread seriously, however, I rewatched the match (it's worth rewatching) and did anyone else notice that IMart simply does not appear to be trying terribly hard to get off his back?

He didn't have any part of his body free to try except the one leg he was digging into the ground pushing with.  Nolf locked both his hands up right at the end, and his other leg was neutralized by the navy.