Sign in to follow this  
HokieHWT

IMar lost on purpose

While not losing on purpose, could it be possible that I-Mar was coming down with a bug? I know the old "he had the flu" is considered just an excuse, but we all know it's effected results in the past. I'm a PSU fan, but I thought Stieber wasn't quite his usual self when Retherdord beat him. And Tom Ryan later confirmed that he was a little under-the-weather that day. (Logan himself - being all class - never even mentioned it to my recollection. And he certainly never used it as an excuse.)

Anyway, several observers indicated they thought I-Mar looked a little more lethargic than usual - and one reported seeing him throw up in a trash can after the bout. Should we attribute all of that to Nolf's prowess or was their something else at play? (Not trying to take anything away from Nolf. I was rooting for him and he wrestled great and deserved the win. I'm just idly wondering and speculating...)

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

There was no part of that match where IMar was not trying a throw from bad position, involved in a scramble, or trying for a huge mat return; so while I can't really say for certain that he wasn't sick, it seems like any human being would be huffing and puffing after doing that for 5 minutes.

There was no part of that match where IMar was not trying a throw from bad position, involved in a scramble, or trying for a huge mat return; so while I can't really say for certain that he wasn't sick, it seems like any human being would be huffing and puffing after doing that for 5 minutes.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I was merely speculating - the flu seems a very remote possibility at best.

Not a fan of threads like this.

But, Imar did look off.

Either:

1. not feeling well

2. let the whole situation get to him

3. just flat out got beat

I pick 3.

Before the match I saw Nolf as no worse than the 2nd best guy in the weight and still it that way for either guy.

If I had to pick who wins the Big10 I would still pick Imar.

But, if Nolf gets him again then it is pretty clear there is a new guy chasing Cael.

It's hard to bridge when you're stacked up on your neck the way IMar was. Too much weight pushing down at an angle.

Btw never seen Nolf wrestle before but wow, his wrestling sense, scrambling ability, positional awareness (whatever you call it) is incredible. Reminds me of a young Chamizov.

Rematch will be fun.

He looked like he really wanted to destroy Nolf instead of staying calm and just winning. Clearly didn't work.

He looked like he really wanted to destroy Nolf instead of staying calm and just winning. Clearly didn't work.

This is kind of what I saw. He was trying to go for JV head and Arms and did, in fact. toss Nolf, but that was from top. But it was explosive.  And Nolf pinned him, but all Martinez had to do was let go of the leg and give up a takedown.  It looked like something a rookie would do.  That was what surprised me the most.  I mean I don't think Martinez is the talent Tom Brands was; he is close, but Brands was a freak that beat Alan Fried, the prodigy of prodigies. The one John Smith chose over the Brands and such.  Well Fired pinned Brands in 20 seconds in their sophomore or Junior year, mid season.  So better guys have been beaten worse than Martinez and recovered.   Martinez did look a little thin in the upper body compared to what I remember, so he could have either been sick, or the international cut may be getting to him.  And Nolf looks really good.  

Imar looked very surprised that Nolf had the strength that he did in all positions.  Nolf definitely is not the build of an IMAR (or a James Greene, who last year was stated as a bad match up) and to me it looked like IMAR thought he could go and physically dominate him.  

Both of the PSU freshman, look to be physically dominant.  The way they snap through guys for 7 minutes is very impressive.

Nolf, and Nickal too for that matter, may be slight in build, but they make the most of their leverage. Since they went to PSU, I have noticed subtle changes to the way they execute the little things, like snaps and collar ties, that make all the difference.

Imart was trying to impose his will but Nolf showed much cleaner technique and hip positioning. The stuff Imart tried might've worked last year, but Nolf has cleaned up his wrestling quite a bit since then. He is getting a lot more leverage on his snaps, for example, and I think that threw Imart off because he was expecting to get the better of Nolf physically but the reverse was happening.

Those Nolf and Nickal snap downs literally look like they are bouncing a basketball

If there was one thing other than the fact Nolf is a genius at scrambling that was a key to that match, imo, it was those vicious head snaps. I wonder what I Mar will do next time. The minute he tries under hooks he'll get head snapped to death, but if he backs out of that position he is probably too far away to out quick Nolf for a TD especially given he doesn't exactly set them up all that great.

Interested to see what him and Perry come up with.  

Imar should not burn himself out trying to pin someone that good. All that effort is what killed him. He should just wrestle a regular match because Nolf is in great shape and won't wear out. Imar needs to be more conservative and attack on a more even and steady basis to prevent burnout.

Imar should not burn himself out trying to pin someone that good. All that effort is what killed him. He should just wrestle a regular match because Nolf is in great shape and won't wear out. Imar needs to be more conservative and attack on a more even and steady basis to prevent burnout.

He wanted to make a statement and it backfired. I'm sure next time, he'll wrestle more like the way he wrestled James Green, quite conservatively. I'm not sure Nolf won't wear him out anyway though, but the next match should be closer.

This is kind of what I saw. He was trying to go for JV head and Arms and did, in fact. toss Nolf, but that was from top. But it was explosive.  And Nolf pinned him, but all Martinez had to do was let go of the leg and give up a takedown.  It looked like something a rookie would do.  That was what surprised me the most.  I mean I don't think Martinez is the talent Tom Brands was; he is close, but Brands was a freak that beat Alan Fried, the prodigy of prodigies. The one John Smith chose over the Brands and such.  Well Fired pinned Brands in 20 seconds in their sophomore or Junior year, mid season.  So better guys have been beaten worse than Martinez and recovered.   Martinez did look a little thin in the upper body compared to what I remember, so he could have either been sick, or the international cut may be getting to him.  And Nolf looks really good.  

Great historical analogy. I knew Fried beat brands but didn't know it was by fall, very similar story. Is that match on Youtube?

Great historical analogy. I knew Fried beat brands but didn't know it was by fall, very similar story. Is that match on Youtube?

I think it was in the midlands finals in '91, Tom's SR year.  I saw it live, but can't find it on YouTube anymore.  That wasn't his only loss to Fried though.  Alan also beat him in the finals of the UNI Open early in Tom's Soph year. Brands won the NCAAs at Maryland later that season, while Chris Owens was the 134lb.starter for OK State.

Edited by gromit

For anyone who actually wants to know Martinez' mindset with regards to the Nolf match, I mar is interviewed by Richard Immel and the link is here. The key part of the segment starts at about 7:30 minute mark.

I Mar felt good and confident, but this is a good listen for his complete thoughts.

http://www.mattalkonline.com/podcast/bonuspoints/bp29-isaiah-martinez-2015-ncaa-champion-for-the-university-of-illinois/?utm_content=buffer70aa6&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Edited by TBar1977

Thanks.  Man I hope it is.  I know the pin, which is basically the whole match was on the video about Dan Gable released around 93 or 94.  So I would guess it is.