ScarletKnight

Move question - Sullivan

Anyone know this?

Old move, I could not find video.  It may have another name

If your opponent is on his belly, your left hand grabs his left wrist and your right hand goes under and across his chest and grabs his arm, above his elbow, palm down.  

We've called this a Tulsa in out high school before. It's now illegal in Michigan High School because the force of the move goes against the natural motion of the elbow joint.  Unless you can rotate the opponent's arm to put the elbow pointing outward, you'll get called for illegal move.  We've stopped teaching it, because most referees don't notice the subtleties and only see "ILLEGAL!"

That's my recollection and interpretation on what you've described.  I don't have a rulebook handy to show examples and details.

PM

I've seen references to a Sullivan/Lincoln being the same move, but don't know if its the same one you're talking about.

Any video on it?  I searched for it on youtube and didn't see anything.

The video I posted when I searched pipe wrench is definitely the hold, I'm not sure if there are other ways to score with it or not.

Any video on it?  I searched for it on youtube and didn't see anything.

The video I posted when I searched pipe wrench is definitely the hold, I'm not sure if there are other ways to score with it or not.

Sorry, no video, no description. Just appeared on a couple of bare-bones lists of different moves.

Just thought that the alternate name might help in your search. Good luck.

I've seen references to a Sullivan/Lincoln being the same move, but don't know if its the same one you're talking about.

Where are you from to have heard it called a Lincoln? I'm from Phillipsburg, NJ. To us it's a Lincoln because our 1963 state champ Dick Lincoln used it. He was Coach Thad Turner's first state champ.

Gimp - I don't think its where I'm from (Tennessee) as much as I used to read up on wrestling moves, etc., as much as possible. (You remember how it was in the old days before the Internet.) Also, I may have learned that a Lincoln and a Sullivan were the same move when I wrestled in the Air Force. When you get a bunch of wrestlers together from different parts of the country its amazing how many different terms there are for the same move.