Sign in to follow this  
farmer79

Ohio State vs Penn State

Is dropping to your knee in that position much different than if someone where to force someone to lock hands. I dont think so. If you drop to your knee to force a lock hands call you should be the one punished. But thats just my opinion.

I don't have a problem with what Brown did. My dad used to coach that actually for guys that had strong mat returns. It was never really meant to get them called for locked hands as much to get them to loose/lose their grip when you stand right back up. My issue was the lack of reaction time allowed. It took slow motion replay to call that locking hands and it looked to be less than a second before he released the lock. That situation was on the very edge, if even there, of the intent of the rule. The match should have gone to OT and been decided there. I think OT would have favored Brown anyway.....

Dropping to the knee forces a decision - Wilp made the wrong one or did not decide soon enough. I like Wilp, I like Pitt (enough to have three kids graduate from there). I'm objective enough - Wilp wrestled well enough to win but sometimes you win (or lose) against a worthy opponent by using (or not using) all the weapons you have. That includes your brain. If you don't like the rule change it but under the rules as they stand Wilp needed to let go and find another way to return Brown to the mat. He chose not to do so. MSU may have a point regarding a too quick call but that is subjective, a judgement call. I'm ok with the call (but understand that some other ref may give more time) and the tactic (which is smart wrestling, not underhanded).

He who hesitates is lost.

Edited by swoopdown