Sign in to follow this  
farmer79

Ohio State vs Penn State

Not all PSU fans are delusional, no way Nato will gas. The kid is a stud. Will be a great match. Nico needs to stay on his attacks, basically preventing Nato from getting his going.

I also feel bad for Hunter. Unfortunately it looks like his career should be over. It must be painful to watch for DuhOSU fans.

ITs kind of inspirational actually.  I respect him.  You don't throw in the towel.  The damage won't be permanent. And if it is, it is.  The part that sucks is seeing a guy who won the Pan American games gold a year two years ago struggle.  But that is how most athletes go out.  Its not always pretty.  

I only saw the match once and did not rewatch it. Maybe it was the head smash? I will give you that. I thought he just looked wore out and tired. But isn't Nate a boxer on the side, should he not be used to getting hit in the head? Maybe he just needs to stick to wrestling? Kidding.

Imar was talking so much smack before Nolf with saying stuff like "he can't match my pace", or something close to that effect. Sounds to me like a very confident wrestler in the stamina department. Look EVERY wrestler get's tired, but Imar as of his entire college career has beaten and dominated many elite wrestlers with his pace, stamina and skills. And in one match he was wore out in one period by Nolf, in 60+ straight wins prior to that match it never happened.

My only point is this is Nate's biggest test so far this year, wrestling a three time AA senior wrestling at home. If Nate takes him down and can control Nico sure he probably will not fade at all. Who really cares anyway, we will just see what happens. This is an excellent match up and I can not wait to watch it. Only question is do I take the kids or just watch at home on TV? My boys have a tourney early the next morning. Ugh.

Oh. Nico's gas tank all day! Nate's a muscle head who wants to be at 133 next year and with all that muscle no way his tank is better than Nico's. I surely hope this match goes to multiple OT's. Enjoy the dual:)

LOL  Nate has been training and wrestling at Free and Folk this year. Was Nico at US Nationals a month or so ago?   Nate has been in a few tough freestyle contests this year and wrestled Dance, so Youtsey is hardly his toughest comp.  

I'd look towards J Jaggers to why you shouldn't worry too much about a mid year win.  Every good winning wrestler has wins that are ugly.  It is a mistake to take those results and extrapolate them into every future performance.   Nico may beat Nate or not, but that Youtsey match has little to do with it.  

Tomasello may lose, but it won't be because he gets tired. Anyone saying otherwise hasn't been paying attention when he wrestles.

Agreed. Honestly, Tomasello looks like a monster this year. He has to be the favorite over anyone he wrestles at this point.

Madcat--sadly you're correct.  Although credit to Courts for coming back to win when he was down vs Purdue.  He usually doesn't respond well to adversity but this time he stayed cool and put together the win.  

Bucks could make this a good match....or only win two weights--165 and Hvy.  PSU has spanked two solid squads--UM and Illini--in recent weeks.  The Nits look like a juggernaut.  

For tOSU to make this a match, I believe it all hinges on NaTo pulling out a win. Momentum is a factor that is often overlooked when analyzing a dual. If NaTo loses, I believe the "toss up" matches will all goes PSUs way. Even if NaTo wins, it will be a tall order for the Bucks to stay within striking distance due to bonus potential favoring PSU.

Zain will Tech or pin anyone who is put in front of him, including Hunter (hurts saying this)

Nolf will do the same, so, it will have to be a perfect storm for the Bucks to win this dual. I would be ok with 4 wins with possible bonus at 165 and HWT (If Snyder goes).

I see BIG bonus (TF or pin) for PSU at 149,157 and 197(doubt Martin wrestles) with poss majors at 174 and 184.

Bonus for tOSU is likely a major at 165 and at HWT

PSU is really good

For tOSU to make this a match, I believe it all hinges on NaTo pulling out a win. Momentum is a factor that is often overlooked when analyzing a dual. If NaTo loses, I believe the "toss up" matches will all goes PSUs way. Even if NaTo wins, it will be a tall order for the Bucks to stay within striking distance due to bonus potential favoring PSU.

Zain will Tech or pin anyone who is put in front of him, including Hunter (hurts saying this)

Nolf will do the same, so, it will have to be a perfect storm for the Bucks to win this dual. I would be ok with 4 wins with possible bonus at 165 and HWT (If Snyder goes).

I see BIG bonus (TF or pin) for PSU at 149,157 and 197(doubt Martin wrestles) with poss majors at 174 and 184.

Bonus for tOSU is likely a major at 165 and at HWT

PSU is really good

Great post...

I don't see NATO losing to Meg but a good match, if he does lose things could start Rolling down hill.

This is the worse match up for PSU. If cutch couldn't go I would have said that we would definitely lose.

Have to get bonus at 149, 157, and 197.

I'm not sure what to make out of Nickals match?

The JDJ /Conaway match is very interesting as well.

I don't think Jimmy can win but he has a history of showing up.

I'd go with Morelli against Bo, not to win but not to give up huge points. If we're down at that point we'll see Rashard.

Edited by landlordbob

An Illinois friend of mine said that PSU was one of the most entertaining teams he's seen wrestle in years.  He described them as a combination of tough and technical; like the best of Iowa and Oklahoma State rolled into one team.  

I feel strongly that Tomasello will win at 125, and that Ohio State has a chance to sweep the first three weight classes.  If that happens, it's going to get more interesting.  That being said, PSU is a great team, and the Ohio State wrestlers will have to be at the very top of their respective games to have a chance to win this dual.

As far as Hunter Stieber goes, it was noticed that Hunter was not getting up off the mat with his arms- he was rolling over and lifting himself up with his head.  I didn't watch the match, so that's just the observation of someone else.  However he got up, there seems to be no way that he can be competitive against ZR or any other top-level wrestler.  I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not seeing it.  Too bad- he could have been a great one.  

I'm looking forward to this Friday at 6 pm.  

125.  tOSU dec.

133.  PSU dec.

141.  tOSU dec.

149.  PSU bonus

157.  PSU bonus

165.  tOSU bonus

174.  PSU dec.

184.  tOSU dec.

197.  PSU bonus

285.  tOSU bonus

After watching Penn State stand on Michigan's neck yesterday, I didn't think this one was going to be that close until I looked at it on paper.  However, Penn State wins due to having more superstars and big-time home mat advantage.  This Penn State team is the best I've seen since the 2005 Oklahoma State team that had five champs, but it's all about matchups. 

Edited by Frank_Rizzo

125) Tomasello dec. Megaludis, 5-3.  3 - 0 OSU.

I spent a few minutes trying to envision a path for Megaludis to win this match... Tomasello is too solid in his positioning. He will create probably 90% of the offense, most of which will be well defended and end in stalemate, but I don't think Nico will score defensively off of Nate's leg attacks.  If Nico wins I predict some serious home cooking, as I doubt the refs have the stones to hit Megaludis with stalling calls in the first match of the night.

133) Conaway dec. DiJulius, 3-1 Conaway, 3 - 3 Tie.

Conaway is in slightly better form than JDJ at the moment. This is probably a 50/50 match, tempted to give this to Johnni as he's wrestled well historically against PSU.

edit: on second thought I don't see this 50/50.  maybe 65/35. 

141) Jordan dec. Gullibon, 7-3 Jordan, 6 - 3 OSU.

I think the prudent game plan for Gullibon would be to slow the pace down, but I think he comes out hot as usual in home duals.  Unfortunately for him that plays into Jordan's strength, he's best in a high paced match.  Comfortable decision for Micah but bonus is probably not in the cards.

149) Retherford TF ________, 15-0, 8 - 6 PSU.

This is where things start to get dicey for the Bucks.  Even if things go for OSU and they're up 9 - 0 at this point, there will undoubtedly be a feeling of dread beginning with this match.  If you're an OSU fan, you're hoping the crowd gets bored of watching Retherford repeatedly turn his victim, and the match ends in an uneventful tech.  If he gets a pin, or is pushing the pace late in the third period to get a tech, the arena will be rocking and momentum could start to build up... if you believe in that sort of thing anyway.  Most people are saying they don't see any benefit to Hunter wrestling this match, but I'd take an alternate outlook.  This could be his last gift to the team if he could get out there and somehow hold the match to a major or even a regular decision.  If there's a health benefit to him not wrestling (i.e. he can heal up and be ready to try to place at B1G and win a few matches at NCAA), obviously you hold him out.  If his arms can't get worse, stick him out there, let's see if he's got anything at all left.

157) Nolf Maj. Ryan, 12 - 6 PSU. 

Nolf has scored bonus points on literally everyone he's wrestled except for Brascetta and JoJo.  Ryan has only given up bonus to Martinez (his only loss), although that was a relatively comfortable tech.  Ryan's entire game plan here has to be avoid bonus points.  I think he can keep it to a major, which I'd consider a victory.  

165) Jordan pin Rasheed, 12 - 12 Tie.

Rasheed is much better this year than I expected, which makes a lot of sense when you look at the guys he's wrestling every day.  That said, I think Bo pins him. Injury started Bo's season off slowly, but I think he's hitting his stride right now, and the team will absolutely need a pin here to make the dual close.  

174) Nickal dec. Martin, 15 - 12 PSU.

I thought the Nickal hype train left the station a little early after the Scuffle, and for some reason I want to be pessimistic about his status as the favorite at 174, but I look at the weight class and think there's maybe 2 or 3 guys that have the firepower to beat him.  I think Martin actually is one of those guys, but to do so in front of Bo's home gym, I'll give him a 25% chance.

184) McCutcheon dec. Courts, 18 - 12 PSU.  

If McCutcheon goes and isn't hobbled, it's a decision for him I think. Kenny obviously has the ability to win the match, but we're all familiar with his dual performance history.  There's no point in beating that dead horse in his senior season.  Outside of gas tank, I always thought Kenny's struggles in the past were mostly due to a lack of confidence.  Because of his performance at NCAA last year, I think now maybe he's too confident that he'll be able to turn it on at the end of the year and get on the podium again (I admittedly have no idea... just playing armchair psychologist).  Really hope McCutcheon can get healthy this year, would hate to see him lose a shot at AA, he looked like he's taken a step up to me.  

197) McIntosh maj. Martin, 22 - 12 PSU.

Outside of a puzzlingly close match with Studebaker (and the match with Pfarr, who is really solid), McIntosh has smoked everyone.  He looks like an absolute hammer. Martin.... does not.  Cox and McIntosh are on a collision course this year.  That next group of 3 or 4 guys are all really solid AA's, but they're not in the same tier as the top 2.  

HVY) Snyder maj.Johnson, 22 - 16 PSU.

Snyder isn't a pinner, and picks up techs pretty infrequently.  With the dual out of hand I think he gets a major.  On the other hand, if the dual is close I think Johnson is the kind of guy that he could pin, or at least tech if need be.

Overall, this would be a decent showing for both teams.  The margin between this result and a PSU blowout is very thin.  The margin for an OSU upset is a bit wider, but not at all unattainable.  Basically, if Johnni and one of either Myles Martin or Kenny Courts wins, OSU can do it.  I have a feeling a couple starters in the OSU lineup will be missing, and the dual will be much less exciting than we're anticipating.

Edited by steamboat_charlie

125) Tomasello dec. Megaludis, 5-3.  3 - 0 OSU.

I spent a few minutes trying to envision a path for Megaludis to win this match... Tomasello is too solid in his positioning. He will create probably 90% of the offense, most of which will be well defended and end in stalemate, but I don't think Nico will score defensively off of Nate's leg attacks.  If Nico wins I predict some serious home cooking, as I doubt the refs have the stones to hit Megaludis with stalling calls in the first match of the night.

133) Conaway dec. DiJulius, 3-1 Conaway, 3 - 3 Tie.

Conaway is in slightly better form than JDJ at the moment. This is probably a 50/50 match, tempted to give this to Johnni as he's wrestled well historically against PSU.

edit: on second thought I don't see this 50/50.  maybe 65/35. 

141) Jordan dec. Gullibon, 7-3 Jordan, 6 - 3 OSU.

I think the prudent game plan for Gullibon would be to slow the pace down, but I think he comes out hot as usual in home duals.  Unfortunately for him that plays into Jordan's strength, he's best in a high paced match.  Comfortable decision for Micah but bonus is probably not in the cards.

149) Retherford TF ________, 15-0, 8 - 6 PSU.

This is where things start to get dicey for the Bucks.  Even if things go for OSU and they're up 9 - 0 at this point, there will undoubtedly be a feeling of dread beginning with this match.  If you're an OSU fan, you're hoping the crowd gets bored of watching Retherford repeatedly turn his victim, and the match ends in an uneventful tech.  If he gets a pin, or is pushing the pace late in the third period to get a tech, the arena will be rocking and momentum could start to build up... if you believe in that sort of thing anyway.  Most people are saying they don't see any benefit to Hunter wrestling this match, but I'd take an alternate outlook.  This could be his last gift to the team if he could get out there and somehow hold the match to a major or even a regular decision.  If there's a health benefit to him not wrestling (i.e. he can heal up and be ready to try to place at B1G and win a few matches at NCAA), obviously you hold him out.  If his arms can't get worse, stick him out there, let's see if he's got anything at all left.

157) Nolf Maj. Ryan, 12 - 6 PSU. 

Nolf has scored bonus points on literally everyone he's wrestled except for Brascetta and JoJo.  Ryan has only given up bonus to Martinez (his only loss), although that was a relatively comfortable tech.  Ryan's entire game plan here has to be avoid bonus points.  I think he can keep it to a major, which I'd consider a victory.  

165) Jordan pin Rasheed, 12 - 12 Tie.

Rasheed is much better this year than I expected, which makes a lot of sense when you look at the guys he's wrestling every day.  That said, I think Bo pins him. Injury started Bo's season off slowly, but I think he's hitting his stride right now, and the team will absolutely need a pin here to make the dual close.  

174) Nickal dec. Martin, 15 - 12 PSU.

I thought the Nickal hype train left the station a little early after the Scuffle, and for some reason I want to be pessimistic about his status as the favorite at 174, but I look at the weight class and think there's maybe 2 or 3 guys that have the firepower to beat him.  I think Martin actually is one of those guys, but to do so in front of Bo's home gym, I'll give him a 25% chance.

184) McCutcheon dec. Courts, 18 - 12 PSU.  

If McCutcheon goes and isn't hobbled, it's a decision for him I think. Kenny obviously has the ability to win the match, but we're all familiar with his dual performance history.  There's no point in beating that dead horse in his senior season.  Outside of gas tank, I always thought Kenny's struggles in the past were mostly due to a lack of confidence.  Because of his performance at NCAA last year, I think now maybe he's too confident that he'll be able to turn it on at the end of the year and get on the podium again (I admittedly have no idea... just playing armchair psychologist).  Really hope McCutcheon can get healthy this year, would hate to see him lose a shot at AA, he looked like he's taken a step up to me.  

197) McIntosh maj. Martin, 22 - 12 PSU.

Outside of a puzzlingly close match with Studebaker (and the match with Pfarr, who is really solid), McIntosh has smoked everyone.  He looks like an absolute hammer. Martin.... does not.  Cox and McIntosh are on a collision course this year.  That next group of 3 or 4 guys are all really solid AA's, but they're not in the same tier as the top 2.  

HVY) Snyder maj.Johnson, 22 - 16 PSU.

Snyder isn't a pinner, and picks up techs pretty infrequently.  With the dual out of hand I think he gets a major.  On the other hand, if the dual is close I think Johnson is the kind of guy that he could pin, or at least tech if need be.

Overall, this would be a decent showing for both teams.  The margin between this result and a PSU blowout is very thin.  The margin for an OSU upset is a bit wider, but not at all unattainable.  Basically, if Johnni and one of either Myles Martin or Kenny Courts wins, OSU can do it.  I have a feeling a couple starters in the OSU lineup will be missing, and the dual will be much less exciting than we're anticipating.

Well your first mistake is OSU doesn't wrestle PSU this year (unless in the bowl championship) they wrestle OU this weekend and it shouldn't be close enough to worry about discussing.  ;_;

Now if you are talking about oHio State, then looks pretty good except maybe flip the 184 results (see McCutcheon in the IL match before the injury) but PSU wins on tie-break criteria anyway.

Well your first mistake is OSU doesn't wrestle PSU this year (unless in the bowl championship) they wrestle OU this weekend and it shouldn't be close enough to worry about discussing.  ;_;

Now if you are talking about oHio State, then looks pretty good except maybe flip the 184 results (see McCutcheon in the IL match before the injury) but PSU wins on tie-break criteria anyway.

Fair enough :p

5 + 5 does not equal 12. Thus, you must be mistaking something I wrote. Conventional wisdom is that Penn State should win 5 of the last 7 weights, losing 165 and 285, but piling up major bonus. If my premise is that Ohio State wins the first three, and I agree with the conventional wisdom regarding the last seven, then it follows that the bouts go 5-5 and PSU wins on bonus.

Read what you wrote.  9-0 and then 5 and 5.  Just pulling your chain.

Edited by carp

I know Lemon Pie  is a Rasheed fan , me just a homer on it!

His Defense on feet was poor Sutton did get to the legs. But most important he won , he will always have his cradle

Pins and is dangerous to everyone. But could he stay the whole match and learn to Grind out a win? Big Ten is a grind!

He did come through,big improvement did not fold at end. He does have huge upside, especially with frame never know where he will end up, will get better.

Frank C

Rasheed's problem is likely going to be that he's not a 165 lber, not really, and that's unlikely to alleviate itself as he gets older.  With that and Mark Hall presumable moving into the lineup, the only spot for Rasheed is 165, and I just think it's unlikely that he can maintain that weight for the next 3 years.  Unless Penn State fans see him making the jump all the way to 197?  Because I think we all see Hall and Bo Nickal as the 174-184 combo for Penn State going forward...

125- Suriano

133- Cortez

141- Gulibon

149- Retherford

157- Nolf

165- Joseph/Hammond/Borelli

174- Nickal

184- McCutcheon/Rasheed

197- Cassar/Stout

Hwt- Nevills

125- Suriano/S. Lee (lol)

133- Cortez/Suriano