Sign in to follow this  
farmer79

Ohio State vs Penn State

I have a bad feeling about this match for the Bucks. They just don't seem to get amped up for duals. Are we even sure Snyder is going to go? I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

125- Toss-up, but I'll go with the champ (3-0)

133- Possible toss-up, but JDJ can lose to anybody at any time (3-3)

141- Toss-up, I'll go with Jordan (6-3)

149- Please do not put Hunter on the mat. I fear for his long term health. Pin. (6-9)

157- Ryan is a good defensive wrestler, but he gasses hard. Tech. (6-14)

165- BoJo's top game is adjusting to the cut. (12-14)

174- MyMar is game, but showed a real weakness vs Pur. (12-17)

184- Who's going to go for PSU? Back up? (15-17) If no back up (12-20)

197- Who's going for the Bucks? Back up? Pin. (15-23)

285- Snyder? (20-23), No Snyder? (18-23)

I see this bout going 6-4 or 5-5 depending on 184. Of course, if the Bucks that wrestled Purdue show up it could go 7-3 or 8-2 in favor of PSU. I don't see how the Bucks can win the dual.

lemon pie

I agree also hall will take 1 red shirt year he can get in.

vak does bring valid point , but people get hurt and there will be red shirt year.

just like Iowa use to be , better make that year count when you get the green light.

What are the odds that Steiber will take the mat vs Zain who mercilessly puts crazy torque on the arms and elbows....and head and back and legs....??

I feel bad for Steiber, I would rather see Zain wrestle Steiber at 100%.

Also, I think Courts will be motivated in front of his home state crowd. Should make it interesting.

Edited by jstock

What are the odds that Steiber will take the mat vs Zain who mercilessly puts crazy torque on the arms and elbows....and head and back and legs....??

I feel bad for Steiber, I would rather see Zain wrestle Steiber at 100%.

Also, I think Courts will be motivated in front of his home state crowd. Should make it interesting.

Ohio State fans got the notion that Hunter had been looking good. Snyder re-upping was also considered evidence.

I'll leave it at that and continue dreaming on.

I don't see why he can't challenge McCutcheon at 184 next year and Cassar/McCutcheon at 197 in two years. Nickal should stay at 174 for one more year and Hall can redshirt

He can, but Cael has pretty much let the best guy go, right? I don't think Cutch is in the lineup next year if he stays at 84. Rasheed is a super talent. He's just on a team full of super talents so the fit is tough. If Hall redshirts, that makes the fit easier next year, but the years after that are tough to foresee.

I have a bad feeling about this match for the Bucks. They just don't seem to get amped up for duals. Are we even sure Snyder is going to go? I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

149- Please do not put Hunter on the mat. I fear for his long term health. Pin. (6-9)

I see this bout going 6-4 or 5-5 depending on 184. Of course, if the Bucks that wrestled Purdue show up it could go 7-3 or 8-2 in favor of PSU. I don't see how the Bucks can win the dual.

Let's not forget that Tavanello is no slouch. I'd take him w bonus over Johnson as well.

Cutch should be a go at 184

Ranking the matches

1. 125 Should be incredible

2. 133

3. 184 with cutch in the lineup

4. 149 if Steiber is a go

5. 141 which Jimmy shows up?

6. 174 4-3 last time

7. 165 - has to be a throw for PSU to win, plus Bojo will most likely gas him out

8. 157 can't see Ryan standing toe to toe with him

9. 197 PSU should have a huge advantage

10. 285 - joke at best

Edited by landlordbob

As a fan I don't even want to see stieber wrestle retherford with how he is now. It's a travesty that he didn't get surgery early last season so he could be fully healed and ready to (possibly) go this season. As it stands now I think retherford will hurt stieber physically and mentally. A healthy stieber/retherford match would be a good one to watch, but I'd still pick retherford.

For the future penn state line up I see it as follows (in 2 years):

125 - spencer lee

133 - nick Sauriano

141 - cortez

149 - retherford

157 - Vincenzo Joseph

165 - nolf

174 - mark hall

184 - nickal

198 - ???

285 - Neville

The scary thing is I can see this team with 7 champs. Cael is doing some crazy stuff over at penn state these days...

Joseph has been struggling to make 157 this year, I believe. And lol at 7 champs, yeesh. Talk about chickens and unhatched eggs.

Yeah as a PSU homer i don't see it, plus Lee would be heavier than Suriano

Edited by landlordbob

Yeah as a PSU homer i don't see it, plus Lee would be heavier than Suriano

No, he wouldn't. I've met Spencer. He's tiny. He's probably going to need a redshirt year out of the gate to put on some size. Suriano looks to be a decent sized 126er now while Spencer should be at 113 if it mattered. 

McCutcheon might be the 197, or Junior World team member Anthony Cassar might be at 197. The other options are current true freshman Kellen Stout or A.J. Nevills who is currently in high school at Clovis.

Edited by TBar1977

At the start of the year, before it was announced that Snyder was redshirting, I had these teams as 1 and 2. I put some thought into this and here is what I come up with. 

125:  Tomasello vs MEGA is a coinflip anyway you look at it. How will Nate handle Nico's length, flexibility, and neutral pressure? How will Nico handle handle stocky stature, power, and offensive attack. I have no idea but I'm dying to find out. For the sake of argument, let's give this to Nate. 3-0 tOSU

133:  JDJ vs. Conaway - Conaway is consistently the most overlooked wrestler in this weight class. His results speak for themselves. What he lacks in size, he makes up for in heart. He takes a decision and evens the match at 3.

141:  Micah vs. Gulibon - Micah is huge for 141 and Jimmy still seems to not be fully healed. Micah takes this close but clear. 6-3 tOSU

149:  Lamb for slaughter vs Retherford - I can't see Ryan putting Hunter on the mat with a bum shoulder against a guy who cranks the living **** out of shoulders. Zain techs whomever if not gets the pin, Hunter included. 8-6 PSU

157: Ryan vs. Nolf - Nolf puts bonus points up against all but maybe 4-5 guys at 157. Ryan is not on that short list. Nolf by major. 12-6 PSU

165:  BoJo vs. Rasheed - Bo is a clear step better than the one-round wonder at this point. Corey will make it dicey in the 1st as he tends to do but Bo is too good at this point. I don't see a major but I see a solid 6-7 point victory for Bo. 12-9 PSU

174:  MyMar vs. Nickal - Was a close match the first go around and I don't see it going any differently. Bo wins close but clear. 15-9 PSU

184: Courts vs. Cutch - If Cutch's knee is fine, he seems to be wrestling better than Kenny at this point. His 2 losses on the season are both by injury default while Kenny dropped a head-scratcher to Riley Lefever while getting beat up by Dudley and Abounader multiple times (no shame, just stating facts)  If his knee is not recovered, Kenny could pull away. Given the nature of the injury and the quick turnaround, I think Kenny wins this. 15-12 PSU

197:  Martin vs. McIntosh - MorMac seems to wrestle to the ability of his opponents from time to time. He should win comfortably but it could be very close as well. Either way, I think he wins a decision. 18-12 PSU

HWT:  Snyder vs. whomever - tech with a strong shot at a pin. 18-17 PSU

Swing bouts: 125, 133, 174, 184

PSU strong: 149, 157, 194

OSU strong: 141, 165, HWT

Should be a great one. Really looking forward to Friday.

Edited by PSUMike

At the start of the year, before it was announced that Snyder was redshirting, I had these teams as 1 and 2. I put some thought into this and here is what I come up with. 

141:  Micah vs. Gulibon - Micah is huge for 141 and Jimmy still seems to not be fully healed. Micah takes this close but clear. 6-3 tOSU

149:  Lamb for slaughter vs Retherford - I can't see Ryan putting Hunter on the mat with a bum shoulder against a guy who cranks the living **** out of shoulders. Zain techs whomever if not gets the pin, Hunter included. 8-3 PSU

Good writeup but perhaps need to check the math in the middle.

149:  Lamb for slaughter vs Retherford - I can't see Ryan putting Hunter on the mat with a bum shoulder against a guy who cranks the living **** out of shoulders. Zain techs whomever if not 

If anybody has had to learn how to survive a bar-half the last two decades, it's this guy.  Unfortunately he may have had one too many at this point.

As pointed out above though even without Snyder at HWT Tavanello has been very reliable.

As an Ohio State fan, here's the problem with this dual.  On paper it's intriguing and it would appear the Bucks have a shot to pull the upset.  Not a great shot but there's an obvious path to a win.  

But in reality, let's look at what PSU has recently done.  They've dismantled an Illini squad that also appeared to matchup reasonably well.  Then they beat the hell out of a solid Michigan team.  PSU's best wrestlers are not just winning matchups with other top competitors--they're crushing them.  The truth is that PSU is wrestling so well right now that it's hard to say if the conventional wisdom on this forum has caught up with how good they actually are...or the rate at which they're improving.

I'd love to see Ohio State do well in this dual.  But it's just as likely they're going to get smashed...like everyone else.