Sign in to follow this  
farmer79

Ohio State vs Penn State

Ohio State fans are waving the white flag. The terms of our surrender will be made public at about 8pm Friday.

I'm a Penn State fan, but depending on who is healthy and wrestles, Ohio State makes me very nervous.  I can easily see them winning at 125, 133, 141, 165, 184 and Heavy.  Heavy and 165 are possible bonus point weights.

As an Ohio State fan, here's the problem with this dual.  On paper it's intriguing and it would appear the Bucks have a shot to pull the upset.  Not a great shot but there's an obvious path to a win.  

But in reality, let's look at what PSU has recently done.  They've dismantled an Illini squad that also appeared to matchup reasonably well.  Then they beat the hell out of a solid Michigan team.  PSU's best wrestlers are not just winning matchups with other top competitors--they're crushing them.  The truth is that PSU is wrestling so well right now that it's hard to say if the conventional wisdom on this forum has caught up with how good they actually are...or the rate at which they're improving.

I'd love to see Ohio State do well in this dual.  But it's just as likely they're going to get smashed...like everyone else.  

I'm a Penn Stater but this dual scares the hell out of me. This is just a line up that has the potential to make things very interesting against PSU. There are 4 swing bouts that can very conceivably go either way. For Penn State to win, they need to win 2 of those swing bouts. But for tOSU to win, they will probably need to win 3 since bonus points for Zain and Nolf are all but givens and MorMac can even add some if he wrestles to his potential. I don't see Bo losing so that means Tomasello needs to beat Nico, DiJulius over Conaway, AND Courts over Cutch. A tall order for certain but not outlandish.

Ryan should pull Hunter. I dont think based on last matches hes ready may destroy kids confidence and get hurt! Gear towards Big Ten and Nationals. ( Dual Meet who cares all about Nationals )

Frank C

PS There not going to win match anyway 

Ryan should pull Hunter. I dont think based on last matches hes ready may destroy kids confidence and get hurt! Gear towards Big Ten and Nationals. ( Dual Meet who cares all about Nationals )

Frank C

PS There not going to win match anyway 

I don't understand this argument.  If Hunter is hurt and can't go, hold him out.  If it's not medical, holding a guy out of the lineup to "protect his confidence" is laughable, and pretty insulting if you're Hunter.  

What if Hunter were to go and wrestle Zain closely, at least for a good portion of the match? What could that do for his confidence?

charlie, seriously, people are suggesting Hunter was using his head to get back up off the mat against the IU wrestler. He does not look totally healthy out there. Just my $0.02. 

Thanks... I've seen the match.  Sounds like your $0.02 is based entirely on a single post from this forum.  Hunter never "used his head to get back up off the mat" against Blanton. He lost because of some lazy finishing, 0 setups, and general gassing.

My expectation isn't that he'll wrestle.  My point is that if there isn't a medical reason for him to sit out, and he's the best option on the team, he should go.  

By the way I wouldn't say he looked healthy; there was one definite moment out of bounds in the third where he clearly favored his right elbow (left elbow looked fine, posted on it multiple times with no real sign of weakness).  

I saw the match too, charlie. I don't think we have seen a healthy Hunter Stieber in a long time. Certainly not this year. But that is just my personal recollection of what a 100% healthy Hunter used to look like. I wish the kid the best. 

I saw the match too, charlie. I don't think we have seen a healthy Hunter Stieber in a long time. Certainly not this year. But that is just my personal recollection of what a 100% healthy Hunter used to look like. I wish the kid the best. 

Agreed. It's not likely he'll wrestle this week... and even less likely that we'll ever see 100% Hunter Stieber again.  

Breaking News

Matt McCutcheon will wrestle Friday night, so it is Courts vs. McCuitcheon at 184.

Breaking News Part 2

Nick Nevills is cleared to wrestle. He might not go on Friday night, but he is cleared to go and Coach Sanderson says he is fine. 

Breaking News

Matt McCutcheon will wrestle Friday night, so it is Courts vs. McCuitcheon at 184.

Breaking News Part 2

Nick Nevills is cleared to wrestle. He might not go on Friday night, but he is cleared to go and Coach Sanderson says he is fine.

That's great news!! Thanks for sharing. Interested to see how Nevills will look after so much time off

Breaking News

Breaking News Part 2

It may depend on who weighs in. I doubt Cael puts him out there against Snyder, but maybe against Tavanello. Tavanello is no slouch and would be a great match for Nevills. Snyder would tech him I think. Not what you want in your first match.

I have not heard anyone mention this yet, but I would send Morelli out at 165 against BoJo. The way Morelli wrestled the other Jordan, and was even so close to winning that match makes me think he would do better than Rasheed. Sure he is not going to win but he has a way better tank and seems tougher to me. Maybe he can keep it to a regular decision? Rasheed almost always fades big time against better competition, and I could see Jordan maybe teching SR or catching him in his banana split for a pin. Something PSU would like to avoid is giving up bonus at 165 especially a pin or tech. I would not be surprised if Cael reads this forum and then ends up sending Morelli out there. 

I have not heard anyone mention this yet, but I would send Morelli out at 165 against BoJo. The way Morelli wrestled the other Jordan, and was even so close to winning that match makes me think he would do better than Rasheed. Sure he is not going to win but he has a way better tank and seems tougher to me. Maybe he can keep it to a regular decision? Rasheed almost always fades big time against better competition, and I could see Jordan maybe teching SR or catching him in his banana split for a pin. Something PSU would like to avoid is giving up bonus at 165 especially a pin or tech. I would not be surprised if Cael reads this forum and then ends up sending Morelli out there.

I would be shocked if Cael made his decision on what he read on a forum

I would be shocked if Cael made his decision on what he read on a forum

PLEASE tell me you are kidding? Please. I was being sarcastic. I thought it was obvious I was joking. sorry

Edited by Chasden

I don't understand this argument. If Hunter is hurt and can't go, hold him out. If it's not medical, holding a guy out of the lineup to "protect his confidence" is laughable, and pretty insulting if you're Hunter.

What if Hunter were to go and wrestle Zain closely, at least for a good portion of the match? What could that do for his confidence?

It's not about protecting his confidence it's about making sure he's healthy the way Retheford has been wrestling and the way Hunter has looked since his return it is very realistic that he could reinjure something better safe then sorry

As a fan I don't even want to see stieber wrestle retherford with how he is now. It's a travesty that he didn't get surgery early last season so he could be fully healed and ready to (possibly) go this season. As it stands now I think retherford will hurt stieber physically and mentally. A healthy stieber/retherford match would be a good one to watch, but I'd still pick retherford.

For the future penn state line up I see it as follows (in 2 years):

125 - spencer lee

133 - nick Sauriano

141 - cortez

149 - retherford

157 - Vincenzo Joseph

165 - nolf

174 - mark hall

184 - nickal

198 - ???

285 - Neville

The scary thing is I can see this team with 7 champs. Cael is doing some crazy stuff over at penn state these days...

I don't understand why so many people assume Hall will be 174. Why? I have no idea, but it seems to me he's been making  74kg (163) in freestyle and wrestling 170 in high school. He doesn't strike me as being that big for 165.

Based on some commentary perhaps nolf and Joseph would switch on this list. As for hall at 174 I have a feeling he will grow a little more (muscle at least) as will nickal who has a pretty thin frame at the moment. Cael has shown he wants the line up to be as tough as it can be from top to bottom so I imagine he finds a way to get Joseph in there somewhere.

I don't understand why so many people assume Hall will be 174. Why? I have no idea, but it seems to me he's been making  74kg (163) in freestyle and wrestling 170 in high school. He doesn't strike me as being that big for 165.

I didn't assume this, but I'd venture to guess, that his frame is tallish and he is still a kid, so people would expect him to grow. And 174 is more wide open...right now.  So that is why they may have guessed that.