Sign in to follow this  
farmer79

Ohio State vs Penn State

No rankings upsets, but we saw two top 125ers who had never wrestled compete, Myles Martin looked great, dejulius looked better than I thought, Bo Jordan almost lost, etc.

We learned a lot. Tomasello is looking more and more likely that he wins it again. Mega is incredible. I think Dance I'd the only guy that he may lose to. We will see the gilman match soon

No doubt it was an awesome dual, great wrestling.  Other than BoJo looking bad I wasn't surprised by a whole lot.

I agree and can not figure out for the life of me what Martin was trying at the end. Looked like a headlock but wasn't one but super impressed with the kid, he is going to be darn good with some seasoning under his belt and I disagree with his RS being pulled.

Meh. It is wrestling. The rest of them clapped when he got up.

Just came from the match - the fans were agitating for stalling and then they saw what looked like a bizarre slip (no instant replay to understand whether he banged his head or something, hard to see from upper decks even if it was obvious - I can't wait to see the match replay, what the heck happened?). The immediate belief was he wanted a breather. As you noted, the booing stopped as soon as the realization dawned that it could be a true injury and the crowd.shifted gears - and he was applauded when he got up. Not the greatest reaction to boo anyone or anything (including bad calls), but hardly the heinous evil and total distortion that the extreme psu haters would assert either. Overreaction, snap judgements and exaggeration is too often the currency of fans whether posting or attending matches.

Myles Martin was a bright spot until he gave up the lead in the third with a move I still can't figure out after half a dozen rewinds. What the hell was he going for?? Looked like a headlock but he didn't even have the far side arm. By far the weirdest move of the dual.

He wasn't doing a move. Nickal shot to a body lock and Martin bailed out. He was just trying not to get tossed.

Just came from the match - the fans were agitating for stalling and then they saw what looked like a bizarre slip (no instant replay to understand whether he banged his head or something, hard to see from upper decks even if it was obvious - I can't wait to see the match replay, what the heck happened?). The immediate belief was he wanted a breather. As you noted, the booing stopped as soon as the realization dawned that it could be a true injury and the crowd.shifted gears - and he was applauded when he got up. Not the greatest reaction to boo anyone or anything (including bad calls), but hardly the heinous evil and total distortion that the extreme psu haters would assert either. Overreaction, snap judgements and exaggeration is too often the currency of fans whether posting or attending matches.

I'm far from a PSU hater. Watch the replay and give your thoughts again.  Jake Ryan is lying on the ground and a PSU fan yells out, "He's Tired!" (Obviously somebody pretty close to the mat for the mic to pic it up, so a bad view isn't an excuse).  There were also prolonged boos.  It showed absolutely no class by those who were doing it.  PSU isn't the only fan base to do this, but it is wrestling at its worst when it happens.

I have not heard anyone mention this yet, but I would send Morelli out at 165 against BoJo. The way Morelli wrestled the other Jordan, and was even so close to winning that match makes me think he would do better than Rasheed. Sure he is not going to win but he has a way better tank and seems tougher to me. Maybe he can keep it to a regular decision? Rasheed almost always fades big time against better competition, and I could see Jordan maybe teching SR or catching him in his banana split for a pin. Something PSU would like to avoid is giving up bonus at 165 especially a pin or tech. I would not be surprised if Cael reads this forum and then ends up sending Morelli out there. 

I guess Cael does read this forum! Haha.  You're welcome coach.

Takeaways from the 125 bout? I'll reserve opinion for the time being. 

Neither wrestler took a deep shot until the one by Nico with 30 seconds left. Unfortunately for Nico he couldn't finish the shot which I attribute mostly to NaTo's strength advantage. Nico got in about as deep as he gets into the leg against other wrestlers, but when NaTo turned back into him it stopped Nico's momentum flat and he sat out. NaTo then just picked up the trailing lag and rolled it up into him. The stress there on Nico's leg had to be pretty substantial at that point. 

Nico has to be able to drive thru to the corner on that shot. Easier said than done against a wrestler of that caliber. 

Edited by TBar1977

Overall thoughts on the match

Scoring wise at 24-14 it went about as expected. I figured Penn State to score more bonus than the Buckeyes and I figured this to be about 6-4 in matches won. I just did not know who would win each toss up match. But it ended about where one might expect given where the two squads are.

125Neither wrestler took a deep shot until the one by Nico with 30 seconds left. Unfortunately for Nico he couldn't finish the shot which I attribute mostly to NaTo's strength advantage. Nico got in about as deep as he gets into the leg against other wrestlers, but when NaTo turned back into him it stopped Nico's momentum flat and he sat out. NaTo then just picked up the trailing lag and rolled it up into him. The stress there on Nico's leg had to be pretty substantial at that point. Nico has to be able to drive thru to the corner on that shot. Easier said than done against a wrestler of that caliber. I do think the wrestlers are close enough that Nico could work on his finish position and perhaps make that shot count the next time they meet.

133 - I think the ref made a clear mistake on the edge of the mat. Not sure Johnni would have gotten back pts. there but you never know. The final 4.5 minutes Conaway wrestled as well as he has ever wrestled. Kid is all heart and guts. He deserved that win.

141 - I think physically Micah is bigger, but Jimmy is hardly over matched from a purely physical aspect. Jimmy's issue, and this is only my $0.02, is purely mental/lack of confidence. To quote Gibbons, Jimmy was 90% of the way there in finishing his first shot, which is a really good description of his first shot attempt. Then he just stops driving thru. Why? Then he takes an ill advised shot late in period 1 and gets down. You have to give him credit for his 2nd period ride, though, which basically got him back to even. Then the really poor shot near the end. Again, why? The match was headed to OT and he had already ridden Micah hard. Why take such a poor shot there? 

149 - Zain Retherford. Fall. It was expected. I will be very surprised if anyone could stay with him this year. He is on a whole 'nother level right now. 

157 - Wrestling Nolf just took everything out of Ryan. Nolf has a pace that is from another world. Ryan was totally spent at the end of that match. Honestly, he looked like he just wanted the time to tick off the clock and limit the damage. Gibbons said something to that effect and I agree with him. Ends up being a 13 point major.

165 - This match is the difference between Ohio State and Penn State. Bo Jo is an undefeated wrestler, a stud, and a hammer on top. Where Zain and Nolf won by bonus, Bo Jo won by 1 TD. Morelli is a pretty strong guy, but is he any stronger at 165 than Jake Ryan is at 157? This type of scoring difference will always end up being the difference. In a dual format or a tournament format. Bo Jo never looked in danger of losing, don't get me wrong, but he also didn't inspire confidence here that he could beat a guy like Ringer. 

174 - Bo Nickal will probably shave a year off my life. That is how many I estimate Quentin Wright took off, so he is in great company. Big move guy and his pressure was ultimately the difference. Myles Martin has a bright future. 

197 - What can anyone say about Morgan McIntosh. He is finally in full size and strength in his weight class and all of his immense abilities are on display. I want to give a ton of credit to Fox for giving his best effort and at least trying to score even though he was up against a stronger more skilled wrestler. He ended up being the victim of a TF, but at least he tried to score.

Hwt. - See 197 and reverse the singlets. Kyle Snyder. Just so classy both on and off the mat. How could anyone not like this guy. But give credit to Jan Johnson for trying his best. Jan was outclassed. Nothing wrong in admitting that. But not outclassed in his effort, and that says something about the kid. Took a TF there, but went down swinging for the fences. 

I read somewhere that Tom Ryan suggested that the hiring of Cael Sanderson by Penn State was the greatest hire in collegiate athletics history. Tom's words, not mine. Interesting. 

Neither wrestler took a deep shot until the one by Nico with 30 seconds left. Unfortunately for Nico he couldn't finish the shot which I attribute mostly to NaTo's strength advantage. Nico got in about as deep as he gets into the leg against other wrestlers, but when NaTo turned back into him it stopped Nico's momentum flat and he sat out. NaTo then just picked up the trailing lag and rolled it up into him. The stress there on Nico's leg had to be pretty substantial at that point.

Nico has to be able to drive thru to the corner on that shot. Easier said than done against a wrestler of that caliber.

I agree mostly, but that defense was mostly technique. Yes Nato is strong, but his hips were placed perfectly.

I read somewhere that Tom Ryan suggested that the hiring of Cael Sanderson by Penn State was the greatest hire in collegiate athletics history. Tom's words, not mine. Interesting.

You read "somewhere" but then say "Tom's words?" Also interesting. Edited by headshuck

You read "somewhere" but then say "Tom's words?" Also interesting.

He was quoted, so I took that fwiw. Crazy stuff, huh? You know it must be tough to get thru life when you find fault in so much. Relax and enjoy life a little. Better than going around acting all bitter.

Edited by TBar1977

You read "somewhere" but then say "Tom's words?" Also interesting.

Here is the quote, grumpy.

"I would go on record as saying hiring Cael was the greatest hire of any institution in the history of college sports,'' Ryan said about Penn State coach Cael Sanderson.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/02/despite_defeat_ohio_state_coac.html

Consider yourself informed. 

Here is the quote, grumpy.

"I would go on record as saying hiring Cael was the greatest hire of any institution in the history of college sports,'' Ryan said about Penn State coach Cael Sanderson.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/02/despite_defeat_ohio_state_coac.html

Consider yourself informed.

Thanks. Now carry on, I'm sure most love your analysis and flair.

In the 133 match with the 'controversial' call it was controversial to fans only because the announcers missed what was going on.  You can clearly hear the official giving the five-count to quit hanging on the leg and move up.  The wrestler knew the stall call was coming.  The announcers screwed this up, although, to their credit, later in the broadcast they corrected themselves. 

In the 133 match with the 'controversial' call it was controversial to fans only because the announcers missed what was going on.  You can clearly hear the official giving the five-count to quit hanging on the leg and move up.  The wrestler knew the stall call was coming.  The announcers screwed this up, although, to their credit, later in the broadcast they corrected themselves. 

Yet I had the feeling one of them wanted to say more as they were "correcting" themselves.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's going on at 165 for Penn State? Why has Rasheed wrestled so many matches and now Morelli starts? Is it clear who will wrestle in Big Tens?

Cael said in interview they still trying to figure it out Edited by pish6969

Morelli wrestles everyone close, I think good call by Cael, Im a Rasheed homer but I dont think is settled Morelli one point off both Jordans -Rasheed was in the Masa and  foolishly tryed fix his headgear in middle of match he Pinned Welch. I think at end they may go with Rasheed for bonus points plus 3 more years to have him , but I dont think this is settled quite yet! I agree with Pish . Either way all 3 are quality 165 lbers.

Frank C

Rasheed gives more upside, but he is also more likely to get pinned by a Bo Jo than Morelli is. By the time 165 came around Penn State was in great position to win the dual unless they gave up 6 somewhere and then maybe lost a toss up. Sending Morel;li out there made sense from a strategic point of view. 

I will watch the replay again but I too thought Ryan was just getting some air. I didn't see where Ryan could have been injured.

It didn't look like he took a full blow to the head, but I'm sure you have gotten a compression injury to the neck and shoulder and the "stinger" is certainly worthy of an injury time.