Sign in to follow this  
farmer79

Ohio State vs Penn State

Rasheed gives more upside, but he is also more likely to get pinned by a Bo Jo than Morelli is. By the time 165 came around Penn State was in great position to win the dual unless they gave up 6 somewhere and then maybe lost a toss up. Sending Morel;li out there made sense from a strategic point of view.

Did Rasheed weigh in?

I think Cael goes with Rasheed. When Rasheed wins he gets bonus. I expect he gets a pin or two even and I expect an AA finish

Morelli wrestles everyone close, I think good call by Cael, Im a Rasheed homer but I dont think is settled Morelli one point off both Jordans -Rasheed was in the Masa and  foolishly tryed fix his headgear in middle of match he Pinned Welch. I think at end they may go with Rasheed for bonus points plus 3 more years to have him , but I dont think this is settled quite yet! I agree with Pish . Either way all 3 are quality 165 lbers.

Frank C

Thanks Frank and everyone. Makes a lot of sense.

It always puzzled me how some guys can't get it together with their gas tank. I don't get it. Rasheed's biggest problem is clearly his gas tank, but why? He must be willing and able to work has ass off. He's working out all the time with Nolf and Bo not to mention lots of others. Yet he goes out and gasses. Is it mental? Breathing issue? What? 

The gas tank isn't just about hard work. Some people are naturally stronger, faster, more explosive... And some have bigger tanks. You can train the tank and get as much out of it as is genetically possible, but you can't literally change it.

More than doing extra wind sprints and runs, Rasheed needs to pace himself better. Going balls to the wall isn't the best strategy for someone without the tank to support that style the full seven. Guys like Nolf who can wrestle every second of a 7-minute match with first-period intensity are athletic freaks. Rasheed shouldn't try to wrestle like them if he can't.

165 - This match is the difference between Ohio State and Penn State. Bo Jo is an undefeated wrestler, a stud, and a hammer on top. Where Zain and Nolf won by bonus, Bo Jo won by 1 TD. Morelli is a pretty strong guy, but is he any stronger at 165 than Jake Ryan is at 157? This type of scoring difference will always end up being the difference. In a dual format or a tournament format. Bo Jo never looked in danger of losing, don't get me wrong, but he also didn't inspire confidence here that he could beat a guy like Ringer.

My God.

The gas tank isn't just about hard work. Some people are naturally stronger, faster, more explosive... And some have bigger tanks. You can train the tank and get as much out of it as is genetically possible, but you can't literally change it.

More than doing extra wind sprints and runs, Rasheed needs to pace himself better. Going balls to the wall isn't the best strategy for someone without the tank to support that style the full seven. Guys like Nolf who can wrestle every second of a 7-minute match with first-period intensity are athletic freaks. Rasheed shouldn't try to wrestle like them if he can't.

Nerd, your comment reminded me of the following:

“I had a max VO2 problem. That’s the maximum volume of oxygen your body can consume. Mine’s actually the lowest ever measured in the history of any Olympic champion. When matches were nine minutes long, I was getting beat. When they shortened matches to six minutes, I started winning.”  - Mark Schultz

Did Rasheed weigh in?

I think Cael goes with Rasheed. When Rasheed wins he gets bonus. I expect he gets a pin or two even and I expect an AA finish

I don't think he did. They originally had him scheduled to wrestle in an Open Tournament this wknd. per Cael's post game press conference. 

Perfect example Hurricane. I am sure Schultz wasn't lacking in commitment or desire. I am sure he trained his ass off. And yet, he could only go so long at world elite-level pace. Pacing yourself well and having enough "mat generalship" to dictate the pace of the match are underrated skills.

Thanks Frank and everyone. Makes a lot of sense.

It always puzzled me how some guys can't get it together with their gas tank. I don't get it. Rasheed's biggest problem is clearly his gas tank, but why? He must be willing and able to work has ass off. He's working out all the time with Nolf and Bo not to mention lots of others. Yet he goes out and gasses. Is it mental? Breathing issue? What? 

Does Penn St having any real runner machines? Those definitely help conditioning wise.

Maybe his out of room conditioning needs to be restructured: might be overdoing it or not doing enough, for sprints needs to change the distances, etc.

Pacing is a really good point. 

His problems stem from cutting a lot of weight, not training. If things are going to improve, it's going to be about proper nutrition and managing his walking around weight. 

This makes a lot of sense to me. Dehydration and weight cutting in general can lead to all sorts of things that kill your gas tank: poor sleep, poor recovery and so on. 

FT, that is why I would go with Morelli. My bet is that he can better withstand the grind, especially with multiple matches in one day. I think Rasheed will fade in the big events like Morgan Mac did in his freshman year. I think that it would have been beneficial for Morelli to be named the starter earlier and watch him gain full confidence to actually pull off the upsets that have been in his grasp.

I bet that the decision for Cael will come down to wether Rasheed is managing himself properly. If he is doing everything properly then Cael will go with his bonus potential. If not, Cael will likely go with Geno.

FT, that is why I would go with Morelli. My bet is that he can better withstand the grind, especially with multiple matches in one day. I think Rasheed will fade in the big events like Morgan Mac did in his freshman year. I think that it would have been beneficial for Morelli to be named the starter earlier and watch him gain full confidence to actually pull off the upsets that have been in his grasp.

I bet that the decision for Cael will come down to wether Rasheed is managing himself properly. If he is doing everything properly then Cael will go with his bonus potential. If not, Cael will likely go with Geno.

I would be surprised by Cael not going with Rasheed. If he wasn't the favorite, Cael wouldn't have been putting him in so much.

Maybe they will have a wrestleoff?

Morelli has really improved at Penn State and reminds me of Matt Brown with less offense. If he had a go-to-shot, he could be an AA. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the post season. That being said, I think it's going to be Rasheed. He can go 2-2 and nationals with a fall and score as much as a round of 12 guy. Plus I think there is more a chance Corey breaks through to the podium IF he can handle the multiple weigh-ins.  

Morelli has really improved at Penn State and reminds me of Matt Brown with less offense. If he had a go-to-shot, he could be an AA. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the post season. That being said, I think it's going to be Rasheed. He can go 2-2 and nationals with a fall and score as much as a round of 12 guy. Plus I think there is more a chance Corey breaks through to the podium IF he can handle the multiple weigh-ins.

Matt Brown's offense consisted of going to a knee when his opponent locked hands to defend a pseudo-standup. Guess it was good enough for a national title.

Matt Brown's offense consisted of going to a knee when his opponent locked hands to defend a pseudo-standup. Guess it was good enough for a national title.

Yep.  He won nationals.  and you are just a bitter message board troll.    Mormon 1 Troll 0

nothing for nothing but im a psu fan even though I live closer pitt. truth is ref

f Wilps from Pitt, thats the truth. Then they interviewed him and he was a class act the way he handled it. hes going on to medical school and doing more important things in life then wrestling.

I really respected Wilps the way he handled it after getting fd, kid showed

us all perspective and maturity at 20 years old.

Frank C

Edited by cangemi

If Wilps is smart enough to go to med school he is also smart enough to let go clasped hands on a good day. Everyone else does.

And way to go after Brown's religion. Good that Wilps has class .... I'm sure he wouldn't join you in that gutter

Edited by swoopdown

I dont care religon stuff agreed, but if you dont think that was a bull **** call.

something wrong. Appreciate if you can stay subjective, ref gave him match.

Wilps won, Matt Brown good kid! not trolling. truth

Edited by cangemi

I dont care religon stuff agreed, but if you dont think that was a bull **** call.

something wrong. Appreciate if you can stay subjective, ref gave him match.

Wilps won, Matt Brown good kid! not trolling. truth

Did Wilps not lock hands?