Sign in to follow this  
Ari Gold

Which team will finish 2nd?

I'm going ohio state. Not an easy call at all.

No way Iowa doesn't place top 3. They are too stacked, even if they won't necessarily have many or any finalists.

Ohio State and Oklahoma State have awe some teams, but they aren't quite as deep. For example, if Snyder isnt seeded and wrestles gwiz early loses and then faves walz or one of the other huge heavyweights, he may not place that high. Without a great showing from Snyder, they can't win

PSU will win.  As to 2nd place, who do you like better?

Iowa's Big Four:  Gilman, Clark, Sorenson and Burak (Stoll, Meyer and Brooks)

Ohio State's Big Four:  Tomasello, Micah, Bo and Snyder (DiJulius, Courts and Myles Martin)

Okie State's Big Four:  Heil, JoJo, Ringer and Crutchmer (Marsden, Klimara, Collica)

Va Tech's Big Four:  Dance, Brascetta, Epperly, Walz (Macfadden, Zavatsky, Haught)

Mizzou:  Mayes and Cox are the Big guns but they've got scoring potential at nearly every weight with guys like Lewis, Miklus, McGhee, Butler, Synon and Manley.

I like Ohio State's Big Four the best but their ancillary scoring is the weakest.  

I'm bullish on VT. If mastriani continues his current trajectory, gustoffson figures out how to wrestle with that monster knee brace and haught heals up, our ceiling is pretty high and will shock a lot of people. Lots of ifs and maybes but I like our chances.

Love the hate...

Easy

Meg AA

Conaway AA

Jimmy - maybe

Retherford champ

Nolf champ

Rasheed maybe

Nickal AA

McCutchen AA

Mac champion

Nick AA

And that's being nice...

8 all Americans and three champs is you being nice, with the other two as possible AAs as well? Penn State fans are truly amazing.

Edited by VakAttack

Amazing how? Truly pick it apart?

I agree they should win it, but you are being a bit optimistic with those predictions. You aren't being overly optimistic, just a little...

Conaway in no way is a lock AA

Gooberbon isn't even a maybe IMO

Nolf is not a lock champ.. why? Cuz of 1 dual beating over Imar? Remember Oliver beat the bricks off Stieber in their dual match only for Stieb to win in NCAA final.

Rasheed nope

McCutcheon not a lock AA. How do we know he will b back to form and even if that form is good enough to AA?

Mac a lock champ over Cox? Laughable

Nick an AA without wrestling all season? Also not happening

I see 5-6 AA with 2 Champs and the possibility of 3 Champs being a little more realistic. This is not a slight on PSU so don't take it as such. That's a recipe for a Championship team right there

I agree they should win it, but you are being a bit optimistic with those predictions. You aren't being overly optimistic, just a little...

Nolf is not a lock champ.. why? Cuz of 1 dual beating over Imar? Remember Oliver beat the bricks off Stieber in their dual match only for Stieb to win in NCAA final.

Rasheed nope

McCutcheon not a lock AA. How do we know he will b back to form and even if that form is good enough to AA?

I see 5-6 AA with 2 Champs and the possibility of 3 Champs being a little more realistic. This is not a slight on PSU so don't take it as such. That's a recipe for a Championship team right there

As a PSU fan, this is a realistic. 

Conaway I am confident will AA unless his seed is super bad. He is def top 8 in the country, but there are 4 guys that are on another level

It is possible that Nolf wins (50/50 imo)

Cutch should AA but don't know where exactly

Rasheed was my preseason dark horse AA pick but def not a lock

I see Cox as a favorite over Mac

Nevills is a complete wildcard but we will know more if he starts competing soon

Rasheed nope

Stieber never beat Oliver. If you think he did, then you never watched the match. 

Stieber never beat Oliver. If you think he did, then you never watched the match. 

It's way past time to let that go...

Either way, the point still stands. Face a dominant performance and then it was a close match.

I was at the match. Stieber put it on him, controlled the match and WON giving him the jump on being a 4 time NCAA CHAMPION. Google it, look it up on youtube, read the record books...Stieber beat Oliver, maybe you should go back and watch it a few times. It's a dandee

PSU will win.  As to 2nd place, 

Ok, you don't get to change the thread topic midway thru, topic was who gets 2nd not 1st.  Plus MSU158 already beat you to the thread hijack & picked a 1st and 3rd.  ;) 

So who's beating them? Would love to know?

Wasn't the topic, but there's already a thread (believe on page 2 now) analyzing the possibilities, if a winner has already been crowned, many could save on travel & hotel money.

Rasheed nope

Based on today's data:

McCutch isn't placing in that weight

Conaway should go 5-8 range

Gulibon no shot

Rasheed r12ish

285: really?

Regardless of what many PSU fans think, I look at EVERY team's capabilities with as much impartiality as I can.  I honestly don't want PSU(the actual team members and coaches) to lose.  I am simply soured due to some over the top fans.

Still here is a realistic and impartial range of expectations for each weight class

Megaludis-1st-5th. Depending on his draw, he could win it all or lose in the semis in his last chance and have a letdown.  It's very hard as a senior to get motivated in wrestlebacks if you don't quite reach your dream.  Still I would pick him 3rd.

133 Conaway-6th-R16  I credit his heart as much as any PSU wrestler.  I simply think he is too undersized to podium.  I would pick him R12, but could see him wrestling for 7th/8th.

141: Gulibon-7th-0-2  He is talented enough that he could make a run, but he looks a bit lost.  I would say he goes 2-2 and either ends up R12-R16.

149: Retherford-1st-3rd  An absolute beast.  Tsirtsis at his best could beat him(but I don't think we see him at his best) and maybe Sorenson if he is 100% on his game.  Still, I would pick Retherford to win it all.

157: Nolf-1st-4th Has been an absolute beast.  Still, if Taylor could lose so can Nolf, and Taylor didn't have a Martinez in his weight class.  This is very hard to predict.  I could see A 100% Brascetta or Miller getting him and definitely still believe in Martinez.  I reserve the right to change this after B1G's, but for now I would pick Nolf to take 2nd.

165: Rasheed-8th-R16 Watching him wrestle Sutton did nothing to change my mind.  He has big move potential, but is sloppy and gassy(see what I did there?).  The blueprint is laid out for Nationals.  Stay conservative first period and wear him down from there.  I see him going 2-2.

174: Nickal-1st-R12 This weight class is on par with 141 as the hardest to predict.  Nickal, Brunson, Epperly, Crutchmer, Ramos, Crutchmer and Butler all have a reasonable chance to win it all.  Hammond, Walters, Meyer, Jackson(already proven it), Ottinger and Martin are all very capable of beating anyone at the weight.  I would favor Nickal to a 3rd place finish, but this weight has an absolute ton of parity.

184: McCutcheon-6th-R16  Even though he is coming back, how close to 100% will he be? Even at 100%, there are 10 returning AA's at the weight.  I think R12 is an even keel expectation.

197: McIntosh-1st-5th  This is the one PSU guy I want to win it all.  Sacrifices for the team hindered his 4 year legacy a bit and as such I would love to see him go out on top.  Still, I believe Cox is the best at this weight and Hartmann, Pfarr and Burak are right there with him.  I hate to say it but McIntosh is yet to make the finals, and I think it stays that way.  3rd.

285:  Who knows?  The current guy is DNQ and if Nevills does make it back he will have to steal a qualifier spot which won't be easy since Snyder has to steal one as well.  I don't believe he would be eligible for an  At Large Bid so he essentially would have to make sure he places top 6.  This could get even harder since he very likely doesn't get a seed and could hit a very tough opponent first round.  I reserve the right to change after B1G's but for now, I don't see this weight qualiying.

I am labeled a "PSU hater", yet I picked 3rd, R12, 2-2, 1st, 2nd, 2-2, 3rd, R12, 3rd and DNQ.  That is 5 guys in the Top 3(of which only one has ever placed higher than 3rd) and 4 guys winning at least 2 matches.  For those of you that think that is PSU hating, do you not see why I believe you are ridiculously over the top?????????

LOL, see what I mean???????????????????A range is based on POSSIBILITY not PROBABILITY.  And notice I never picked any to place at my low end..........

I know you never directly answer my questions because then you would have to admit stuff but for sake of argument.

125:  Are you saying there is no way 2 guys could beat Megaludis?  Because that is all it would take for him to take 5th.

133:  Are you saying there is NO WAY that there are 10 guys at 133(of which only 2 would have to beat him) that are capable of beating Conaway?

141: Gulibon has already shown there are at least a dozen guys at the weight that could beat him.

149: Retherford couldn't take 3rd?  Really?

157: Nolf isn't a freshman?  It is impossible for him to take 4th?

165: Rasheed is ranked 17th for a reason.  17th could as easily go 0-2 as R12.

174: Nickal is a stud and I picked him 3rd.  Still his losing in the quarters is very possible and then hitting a Butler type in the R12 match is just as possible.  Is it not?

184: McCutcheon was R12 last year.  He is coming back from an injury.  R16 isn't possible?

197: Please tell me you don't have an argument here?

285:  See 197.

I didn't say all the low ranges will happen.  In fact, I didn't say any will.  But to believe not one guy of all 10 will underperform is just crazy.................

Edited by MSU158