Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Is Gilman Really As Good As Some People Are Saying

crablegs,

Seriously? Falck improved, then regressed. McDonough made the finals 3 years until being injured. Clark went from 5th to 2nd. Gilman went from DNQ to 4th. Galanakis and Slaton only started one year under Brands. Dennis went 7th to 2nd. Ramos went R12, 3rd, 2nd, 1st.

You said improve each year so I was just pointing out what you said was incorrect except for Dennis and Ramos and Clark.

Falck regressed as a senior. Mcd regressed as a soph and as a senior.

Gilman, Slaton, and Galinakis also didn't improve each year.

So that leaves 5 of the people you listed that didn't improve each year vs 3 that did. Plus I happen to think Clark doesn't improve this year too. Just don't think your own facts back up that most Iowa lightweights improve each year.

Well Gilman improving each year is debatable since he was beaten out his freshman year and then placed 4th. I would sum that up as improvement. Falck regressed his senior year but improved his previous 2 years. McD was injured his senior year but was a 3-time finalist. Slaton took a starting spot from Dennis and finished runner up. Galanakis was 2-2 in both years he qualified. Gilman, Clark, Dennis and Ramos obviously improved each year. Slaton and McD exceeded their recruiting rankings by a great deal so that could be construed as improvement. So, you really only have Falck that digressed and no improvement from Galanakis. So, it's fair to say that lightweights under Brands have improved for the most part.

You said improve each year so I was just pointing out what you said was incorrect except for Dennis and Ramos and Clark.

Falck regressed as a senior. Mcd regressed as a soph and as a senior.

Gilman, Slaton, and Galinakis also didn't improve each year.

So that leaves 5 of the people you listed that didn't improve each year vs 3 that did. Plus I happen to think Clark doesn't improve this year too. Just don't think your own facts back up that most Iowa lightweights improve each year.

Try paying attention to some facts, for a change.

McDonough regressed as a sophomore and senior? Your saying this only because he didn't win it those years? I'm sure plenty of people picked him to lose to Robles I was one of them, and he had a bad injury his senior year that clearly didn't help his wrestling. Also take into account and this year included with the top 4 at 125 that sometimes guys don't regress the competition just actually gets better

McD made the R12 losing in OT both times (once to Garrett) with a torn labrum and a broken back. He has since won a University Bronze and made a senior level national team (putting a beatdown on Garrett to make the University team). His wrestling certainly did not regress his body just couldn't hold up his senior year.

Flying-Tiger,

I just tried to send you a PM, but it wouldn't go through. The system returned the following:

"The member Flying-Tiger cannot receive any new messages."

Maybe its your messenger storage?

Try it now. I was way over my storage limit. I had messages from way back. Some were pretty funny.

Vak, I had one of you asking me if it would be Pataky or Martellotti for Penn State because you might pick one for your fantasy team, lol. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

This and the mega topic, yeesh. Both guys look like top talents and could definitely win ncaas. Megaludis looks to be the same guy (which is phenomenal and an obv contender) but gilman has improved quite a bit more. I don't know if he's ahead of mega since his previous loss but I'm excited to see it. I think it could go either way.

Try it now. I was way over my storage limit. I had messages from way back. Some were pretty funny.

Vak, I had one of you asking me if it would be Pataky or Martellotti for Penn State because you might pick one for your fantasy team, lol.

How many unsolicited dick pics from Tbar? Edited by LemonPie

Try it now. I was way over my storage limit. I had messages from way back.

How could you be way over your storage limit? I would think you're either under or at the limit, but not you. You're special by being way over.

One way in which Gilman has obviously improved is the variety of attacks from the feet.  His go-to shot has always been the right-handed sweep single, however we've seen him attack the opposite leg much more frequently and successfully.  His length and strength give opponents significant difficulty, however I would agree that his scheule hasn't been that difficult.  I'm very excited to see how he performs at the B1G tourney.

Edited by akaoni

Questioning the Brand's development of their lightweights is a pretty foolish line of ill-logic.

Really to me it is about who is going to open up, get to the opponent's legs, and finish.

Last year Nato did that and the rest sat and waited, and lost.

How could you be way over your storage limit? I would think you're either under or at the limit, but not you. You're special by being way over.

The max use to be 100 and then they reduced it to 50. Essentially that meant you couldn't get any new messages until you cleared down to below the new max. I had to clear over 50 messages, which was difficult because I like to save my old board warnings from the great war (i.e Iowa & PSU fans in the early 2010s). 

Having this thread and the Mega thread at the top is like a drag race with the pages, lol. It's all rather amusing. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Gilman will definitely be #1 if Mega wins tonight. Whether he deserves it or not is a separate issue. Guess I had this thought in the back of my mind when I started this thread. We could see something similar at 157 if Martinez avenges his loss to Nolf. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Gilman will definitely be #1 if Mega wins tonight. Whether he deserves it or not is a separate issue. Guess I had this thought in the back of my mind when I started this thread. We could see something similar at 157 if Martinez avenges his loss to Nolf. 

It takes over 12 hours of airport and flying time to get to Iowa City from New Jersey or PA.

it's both fair to say he has improved, and disingenuous to say he went from DNQ to 4th. We know he improved because he got pancaked by Brancale. We also know he was better than "DNQ" because he nearly won the spot where Clark placed 5th.

It's completely subjective to say he improved. He won the midlands that year by beating Delgado and Garnett. Easy to argue he could have placed at least 4th at NCAAs.