Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Short dec. Tsirtsis 7-4

I saw it. It was a great match with most of the action coming in three brief scoring spurts and the rest of the match very slow-paced.

1st period: no scoring. Short got in on T's leg early and had the single elevated but could not convert. T then blocked off for the rest of the period, slowing the pace down. Boring.

2nd: T chooses down, gets out. Short got in again on a single but was twisting the knee and the ref stopped it. On the restart, T hits a sloppy single and misses but pulls his way in and then reshoots a hi-c, changes off to a double, 2. Ends 3-0.

3rd: S chooses down, gets out, but not before giving up riding time. 3-1 with RT. S snaps T down and does a huge spin behind for 2, now 3-3 with RT for T. S successfully rides away the riding time, cuts T, now it's 4-3 with no riding time, under a minute left.

S hits a couple of shots but T blocks off successfully. T looked bad all third period, tired and defensive, S pushing the action. With less than 5 seconds left to go, as T is on the edge of the mat blocking off, S sets up a beautiful throw after a failed shot and hits it perfectly, gets 2 + 2 backs before time runs out.

I don't know what to call the throw, very few guys hit it. Dunyasha Yetts of Ohio State many years ago was the best I've ever seen at it. The move is like an arm drag combined with a reach around to the far lat with the other arm. Think of hitting an arm drag (your right arm dragging his right arm), and your left arm reaching around his back, grabbing his far (his left) lat. Then you throw him to your left like you're hitting a lateral drop.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Wrestlingnerd- that TD is the same one used by Josh Kindig in his Fargo final win over Tony Ramos. Kindig does more of a baseball slide with his left foot in front as opposed to short who was more straight up and muscled Tshirts over

I saw it. It was a great match with most of the action coming in three brief scoring spurts and the rest of the match very slow-paced.

1st period: no scoring. Short got in on T's leg early and had the single elevated but could not convert. T then blocked off for the rest of the period, slowing the pace down. Boring.

2nd: T chooses down, gets out. Short got in again on a single but was twisting the knee and the ref stopped it. On the restart, T hits a sloppy single and misses but pulls his way in and then reshoots a hi-c, changes off to a double, 2. Ends 3-0.

3rd: S chooses down, gets out, but not before giving up riding time. 3-1 with RT. S snaps T down and does a huge spin behind for 2, now 3-3 with RT for T. S successfully rides away the riding time, cuts T, now it's 4-3 with no riding time, under a minute left.

S hits a couple of shots but T blocks off successfully. T looked bad all third period, tired and defensive, S pushing the action. With less than 5 seconds left to go, as T is on the edge of the mat blocking off, S sets up a beautiful throw after a failed shot and hits it perfectly, gets 2 + 2 backs before time runs out.

I don't know what to call the throw, very few guys hit it. Dunyasha Yetts of Ohio State many years ago was the best I've ever seen at it. The move is like an arm drag combined with a reach around to the far lat with the other arm. Think of hitting an arm drag (your right arm dragging his right arm), and your left arm reaching around his back, grabbing his far (his left) lat. Then you throw him to your left like you're hitting a lateral drop.

Lat throw.

Tsirtsis really blew it. Taking nothing away from Short at all, he really stepped up in the third period but at the same time Tsirtsis was ahead 4-3 with 15 seconds to go and the match was stalemated. On the whistle Jake was aggressive and shoots with eight seconds left. Tstirtis fends the attack off and Short tries a duck with 6 seconds left. Nothing doing. With five seconds left Short comes up and does a near arm drag with his right hand on Tsirtsis' right arm. Three seconds left: Short reachers all the way around with his left arm and then does a lateral drop. It worked because Jason was asleep at the switch and Short got his head caught in his chest, but it in no way looked like a hard move to defend against or a move that should work against a guy of Tsirtsis' caliber with three seconds left in the matches.

Lat throw.

In 2007-08 I was reffing at the Midlands and I had Keith Gavin use that move and score 5 with it. Really works great on the edge when your opponent relaxes thinking he's just backing out for a restart. In between rounds I saw Gavin warming up so I asked him to demonstrate it on me. He's the first guy I've ever seen use it so I think it should be called a "Gavin". I taught it to my kids and I would use it on some high school kids for fun.

Edited by footsweep150

Watched the replay of Shorts v Tsirtsis last night on BTN.  Tsirtsis got a lead and stopped wrestling.  Credit to Short because he kept pushing.  I'm sympathetic to Tsirtsis because it's been a terrible year for him but if this match doesn't wake him up, nothing will.  He has to stop chilling.  

In 2007-08 I was reffing at the Midlands and I had Keith Gavin use that move and score 5 with it. Really works great on the edge when your opponent relaxes thinking he's just backing out for a restart. In between rounds I saw Gavin warming up so I asked him to demonstrate it on me. He's the first guy I've ever seen use it so I think it should be called a "Gavin". I taught it to my kids and I would use it on some high school kids for fun.

I haven't watched it yet.  Is it the same lat throw used by JDJ vs Gullibon last year at Big10s?

https://twitter.com/Johnnidijulius/status/696470554413551618