Sign in to follow this  
Holtfan

PIAA District Controversy

Ok, I watched a video of the eye poke.  just trying to understand what happened.  Are we assuming that because of the slam at 160, the CV coach made his kid take the dive and he wasn't really  hurt with the eye poke?

To me in the video, it looked like the CD coach was more out of control?  I might not be seeing all the video but what did the CV coach doAt

At least 2 grown men (presumably assistants) had to hold him back, as he tried to get to the CV coach.   Now I'm no mind reader, but I sincerely doubt his objective was to exchange pleasantries and congratulations.   Looked like he was going to gut and skin the opposing coach.   It scared my niece, just watching it on our television, I had to turn it off

Yes, I agree that it appeared like the kid was back in the center ready to continue until he went to his corner.  But I didn't see the CV coach acting nuts.  Maybe it didn't appear on the video I watched.  What was the reason the coach's school suspended him?  Was it for the way he pulled his kid from the match or something he did?

I think you missed the end of the video, which is the crux of the matter.  The CD coach has been around along time and has produced some great kids over the years.  Don't know much about the CV coach, but I wouldn't want my kid wrestling for him.  Two great, historic programs and this kind of story doesn't help either. 

Ok, I listened to explanation from Flo radio and I think I got it now.  Sounds like neither of the coaches are very well liked in the area.

Both coaches consistently dominate that area, too, which I'm sure doesn't help their popularity. 

Both of them came off as jerks there, Heckard is suspended for the duals which I think is a fair punishment. Those calling for his job are a bit overzealous, IMO.

This was pretty ugly.  I didn't see the slam, but certainly have an idea of what happened by now.  The CV coach was flat out disgraceful,  I'm guessing we've all been in tense situations on the mat before, I coached for almost 20 years, not once did I bust out the chicken dance to taunt an opposing team after instructing my kid to take a dive.  I can't blame the CD coach for being upset, but his actions were brutal as well.  I think both should be suspended, the CV coach for the remainder of the season, not just the duals.  I don't know enough about past history to say he should lose his coaching job, certainly not his teaching job, but if he has a history of incidents he should be fired.  Honestly, I think he should probably go as is, is that who you want leading your child? Probably not.

On a side note, with how serious concussions can be, and how they are on the forefront of everyones' minds, I would assume there will be more and more issues with slams to come.  If it's at all questionable, I imagine at the high school level kids will default out and re-assess later.

This was pretty ugly.  I didn't see the slam, but certainly have an idea of what happened by now.  The CV coach was flat out disgraceful,  I'm guessing we've all been in tense situations on the mat before, I coached for almost 20 years, not once did I bust out the chicken dance to taunt an opposing team after instructing my kid to take a dive.  I can't blame the CD coach for being upset, but his actions were brutal as well.  I think both should be suspended, the CV coach for the remainder of the season, not just the duals.  I don't know enough about past history to say he should lose his coaching job, certainly not his teaching job, but if he has a history of incidents he should be fired.  Honestly, I think he should probably go as is, is that who you want leading your child? Probably not.

On a side note, with how serious concussions can be, and how they are on the forefront of everyones' minds, I would assume there will be more and more issues with slams to come.  If it's at all questionable, I imagine at the high school level kids will default out and re-assess later.

This. 

Funny, as I watched the end I wanted to smack the CV coach myself and I have zero rooting interest. I can only guess that the CV coach was smoldering from the slam DQ and was yearning for an outside chance opportunity for payback. Lo and behold,  an opportunity came out of the blue, he snatched it, and did a crow strut in celebration. The CD coach took it personal and showed a grave lack of discipline.

The CV coach has apologized for his ugly display. Don't know about the other.

Just a side note but one that I still remember from back in the late 70"s.  Two scenarios played out with the same HS coach. 

1.   Pa AA #1 Ranked Team vs Pa AAA#1 Ranked Team had a dual.  In one of the matches where AAA was heavily favored, their kid totally slammed the other kid with about 20 seconds left.  Kid was definitely hurt and probably shouldn't have continued. AA Coach asked the kid if he could just finish the "last 20 seconds" because he didn't like to win that way.  Kid continued and other team didn't even attempt a shot, just let the clock run out.  AAA team ultimately won by a point.

2.  Same Pa AA Team had a 45 match win streak stopped by a New York Team(with a 35 match win streak).  Key match here was while the Pa kid was winning, he slammed the NY kid.  NY kid jumped right up and paced up and down the mat.  NY coach came over to him, sat him down, and decided he was to hurt to continue.  This stopped the streak.

Both very successful coaches are in their state Hall of Fames but I only have true respect for one of them.

I found the whole sordid event pretty disgusting.  One coach dancing around and crowing like an idiot after telling his perfectly-healthy wrestler to play dead, and the other coach trying to start a fight multiple times.

But what I found very surprising was the reaction of the CV parents and wrestlers that were celebrating winning in such a pathetic manner.  Yikes - who's really going to give a crap 2 years from now who won a district tournament?  But, people will have long memories as to how nasty individuals behaved in this instance.  Was it worth it?

This. 

Funny, as I watched the end I wanted to smack the CV coach myself and I have zero rooting interest. I can only guess that the CV coach was smoldering from the slam DQ and was yearning for an outside chance opportunity for payback. Lo and behold,  an opportunity came out of the blue, he snatched it, and did a crow strut in celebration. The CD coach took it personal and showed a grave lack of discipline.

The CV coach has apologized for his ugly display. Don't know about the other.

LkwdSteve I like your contributions to the board.   You seem to get it.   But don't you ever act on wanting to smack the CV coach.   He would beat the tar out of your old, tired body.   Lets just call a spade a spade.    You're better off trying your luck with the CD coach.   

Complete lack of integrity shown by the CV coach.  I would not want my kids being on his team.  

This makes me remember and also reflect on the amazing class of a coach like Bobby Douglas.

http://globegazette.com/sports/college-wrestling-iowa-s-moco-wins-national-title/article_8c790764-4905-569b-aade-efc7e7c31b17.html

Mocco was quick to thank Iowa State coach Bobby Douglas in his press conference afterward. Mocco could have been disqualified for an illegal move that led to injury in his second-round match against Scott Coleman, but Douglas didn't think it was fair to Mocco or good for the sport of wrestling for him to lose that way.

"I have a lot of respect for the Iowa State coaches and their program," Mocco said. "They could have put me in a real different state of mind right now if it wasn't for Bobby Douglas."

This is what total class, style, and sophistication looks like regarding this issue, something both coaches, and especially MR. Chicken HEAD should learn from (but he won’t Ã  he’s too much of a narcissistic, self-aggrandizing, egomaniac.

This match below was the semi’s of the Eastern State Classic.  Arujau, multiple state champ, Fargo, MVP, etc. against Hector Colom [i think currently ranked 4th in NY].

At the VIDEO TIME: 2:53 and the match time 1:43 Arujau takes down and slams Colom.  I was mat-side—it was hard and it hurt. 

But what happened?

Both Arujau and Colom briefly spoke, shook hands, and basically told the coaches, who wanted to get into it some [i was mat-side, the video can’t show it all] but the wrestlers showed total refinement, sensibleness, and class, literally waving coaches off.

(interestingly the match clock is moving backwards ;-)))

Colom took a beating, but very well could have taken a dive.  He chose to be the mature grown-up in this situation.

This is what these PA coaches need to learn from.

Enjoy. Both are very good kids.

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/899842-132-semifinals-vito-arujau-syosset-vs-hector-colom-saint-francis

If what you are describing is correct(and I did watch the video), it sounds like those coaches were guilty as well.  It was just the actions of the wrestlers that saved that from getting out of hand.  Safe to say, every state has its nutty coaches.

Wrestling being an individual sport lends itself to well...........individuals.

There are plenty of dbag coaches that will put their ego ahead of their athletes in a second.

The chicken head guy I'm sure is a good coach in many aspects I'm sure but clearly lacks the maturity to represent the sport as a leader of young men.