Sign in to follow this  
BRGuy

so much for the Altons suspension...

they are wrestling at the franklin and marshall open today

guess they get to compete and add more wins to their record but just can't help the team in duals

so much for being suspended from competition

they are wrestling at the franklin and marshall open today

guess they get to compete and add more wins to their record but just can't help the team in duals

Suddenly I smell an agenda.

What a dumbass comment. Perhaps they should be tied up for a month to suit your sensibilities?

Don't you think it killed them to miss the Scuffle and to not be with their teammates for the upcoming duals? They haven't been convicted of a damn thing, and they obviously showed restraint or someone would have ended up in the hospital. 21 years old, they broke the team rule about drinking and got taken out of all official matches for 30 days it seems. Plus they are probably now on double secret probation that we don't (and shouldn't) know about.

Not draconian enough for you? Raise your own damn kids. What a jagoff.

they are wrestling at the franklin and marshall open today... GOOD 4 THEM

guess they get to compete and add more wins to their record but just can't help the team in duals Which makes sense cause the team hasn't need them yet.

Well evidently suspended has several different meanings and connotations.

All is good. icon_lol.gificon_e_wink.gif

this is not about the altons

i figured sitting the scuffle and a dual or two was more then fair for simply drinking during the season but according to some cael decided to suspend them for 30 days

so what does suspended mean? i always figured they would be allowed to train with the team so it sounded like they wouldnt be able to compete but now they are competing the whole thing seems so odd. it is as if cael wants them to keep getting wins and mat time but wanted to make it look like he was being firm and making a statement.

so what is the penalty? they went to the scuffle to watch so they just didnt compete will they travel to purdue too? can they just not wrestle in a scored team event? if that is the case it is more of a penalty for the fans and team than it is for them though the team will win without them since their backups are solid

my point is simply there has been no statement yet it was talked about being a suspension so what are they suspended from if they are still wrestling official matches against other college wrestlers?

wire is right

It does seem a little strange since their team just had a dual, so why weren't they there if they're allowed to compete, but then again, the 30 day thing was never confirmed in an official capacity, just something people posted online. Either way, missing the Scuffle was punishment enough for me. This was all much ado about nothing, kids drink in college.

Of course not, we could tell that by the title of your thread. And, unfortunately, it seems this matter was handled internally without issuing a statement that addresses the reasonable issues you raise. I agree that this needs to be corrected and suggest that you send your resume to PSU, asking to replace Mr. Sanderson. As Mr. Dsauer22's post indicates, it's obvious that the head coaches establish the rules for handling these matters.

Assuming your resume is as eloquent as your posts in addressing the salient issues of the Alton's situation, I'm sure that PSU officials will promptly give it the type of attention it clearly deserves.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmpoEoWlDjuwcChxuNNTz9mNHpgZwK98Hv9gNIQObEqx9_54ox

It does seem a little strange since their team just had a dual, so why weren't they there if they're allowed to compete, but then again, the 30 day thing was never confirmed in an official capacity, just something people posted online. Either way, missing the Scuffle was punishment enough for me. This was all much ado about nothing, kids drink in college.

Correct, nothing was ever issued in an official capacity. I suspect they were suspended from representing PSU in varsity competition for a period of time. If so, that wouldn't prevent them from competing in events such as the F & M Open (much like redshirts) as it's not one of PSU's scheduled team events.

At any rate, I agree with you that too much is being made of the situation based on what we know at this time. I would also have been fine with just holding them out of the Scuffle, but that's the coaches call - not mine.

At any rate, I agree with you that too much is being made of the situation based on what we know at this time.

What is wrong with issuing a statement stating when/if they will be allowed to wrestle in duals, B10 & Nationals.

I am not challenging the wisdom of the discipline, just how PSU is handling the PR.

Cael is not good with PR and never will be. The story about the Alton's would not have gotten this big if he would have addressed it up front. It is simply not a strong suit of his. Everyone has a weakness. The Alton story is really a small story with nothing to it really. But the media is Cael's Achilles heal. He is better than he used to be before PSU though.

I think making them (as part of their punishment) pay their own way to opens is a great way to keep them sharp so they are ready to come back and wrestle when allowed to. They should be making weight when ever the team does and I feel they should have to wrestle off to get their spot back.

Cael is not good with PR and never will be. The story about the Alton's would not have gotten this big if he would have addressed it up front. It is simply not a strong suit of his. Everyone has a weakness. The Alton story is really a small story with nothing to it really. But the media is Cael's Achilles heal....

agreed

What a dumbass comment. Perhaps they should be tied up for a month to suit your sensibilities?

Don't you think it killed them to miss the Scuffle and to not be with their teammates for the upcoming duals? They haven't been convicted of a damn thing, and they obviously showed restraint or someone would have ended up in the hospital. 21 years old, they broke the team rule about drinking and got taken out of all official matches for 30 days it seems. Plus they are probably now on double secret probation that we don't (and shouldn't) know about.

Not draconian enough for you? Raise your own damn kids. What a jagoff.

Jagoff? I love it! I haven't heard that term in 40 years...old school !!!!

What ever the coaching staff/school decides as punishment is fine by me but I do think that a official statement should e made it would make wrestling seem more than just a minor secondary sport.

Hey, we're one of the 14 sports with its own page on ArrestNation.com, just like the "major" sports of football and basketball, and right on the same list as lacrosse, for which some might say mixes us amateurs with professional miscreants. ;)

http://arrestnation.com/category/sports/college-wrestling/

College Sports

Athletic Director

Baseball

Basketball

Football

Golf

Hockey

Lacrosse

Rugby

Soccer

Softball

Swimming & Diving

Tennis

Track and Field

Volleyball

Wrestling

i figured sitting the scuffle and a dual or two was more then fair for simply drinking during the season but according to some cael decided to suspend them for 30 days

so what does suspended mean? i always figured they would be allowed to train with the team so it sounded like they wouldnt be able to compete but now they are competing the whole thing seems so odd. it is as if cael wants them to keep getting wins and mat time but wanted to make it look like he was being firm and making a statement.

so what is the penalty? they went to the scuffle to watch so they just didnt compete will they travel to purdue too? can they just not wrestle in a scored team event? if that is the case it is more of a penalty for the fans and team than it is for them though the team will win without them since their backups are solid

my point is simply there has been no statement yet it was talked about being a suspension so what are they suspended from if they are still wrestling official matches against other college wrestlers?

wire is right

from what I was told through a fairly reliable source is that they weighed in for the Scuffle, and then they sat. That seems like punishment enough!

At any rate, I agree with you that too much is being made of the situation based on what we know at this time.

What is wrong with issuing a statement stating when/if they will be allowed to wrestle in duals, B10 & Nationals.

I am not challenging the wisdom of the discipline, just how PSU is handling the PR.

I don't see anything wrong with issuing a statement such as you suggest. Since PR isn't Cael's thing (as you and PRyan 2012 discussed) maybe that should have been done through the AD's office.

On the other hand, sometimes the less said, the better. These matters can take on a life of their own and get overblown. But, if a brief official statement could overcome that, it seems that would be preferable. However, I'm not privy enough to all the circumstances to know which approach might have been better.

Last time I was in Pittsburgh it was all the rage. On T-Shirts everywhere. Just getting in on the Pa. theme.

I can't even see my kids' transcript, but people here want an official pronouncement from PSU? Get real folks.

Br Guy... you are one funny chick...If you're husband is a coach I am sure he would tell you Cael making them skip the scuffle and the duals for the month of january is a pretty harsh punishment. But making them go to Franklin and Marshall tournament might even be a little harsher but your rationale of Cael wanting to add to their "win" column by entering this tournament might be up there as one of the most ridiculous statements in message board history

What ever the coaching staff/school decides as punishment is fine by me but I do think that a official statement should e made it would make wrestling seem more than just a minor secondary sport.

Hey, we're one of the 14 sports with its own page on ArrestNation.com, just like the "major" sports of football and basketball, and right on the same list as lacrosse, for which some might say mixes us amateurs with professional miscreants. ;)

http://arrestnation.com/category/sports/college-wrestling/

College Sports

Athletic Director

Baseball

Basketball

Football

Golf

Hockey

Lacrosse

Rugby

Soccer

Softball

Swimming & Diving

Tennis

Track and Field

Volleyball

Wrestling

Grow the sport!

The absolute hate and obsession directed at the PSU wrestling program continuously by the same posters is the ultimate compliment for Penn State Wrestling and it's fans. Many want to bring you down when you are on top, which is the obvious agenda of these posters. Iowa had to deal with the exact same thing for FAR longer than Penn State has. Unfortunately, said posters aren't smart enough to realize that their constant negative bias is the ultimate compliment. It's a shame, it's only a few guys on this board who go to such extreme levels, but, they make reading the board almost unbearable.