Sign in to follow this  
LordNelson

Iowa vs. PSU

Cael said on the radio show that three years ago all the big ten coaches got together to discuss scheduling and all the coaches agreed that psu vs Iowa should be a dual that happens every year. Last year cael and brands were able to work it out despite not being on official big ten schedule, penn state agreed to travel to iowa. This year, cael tried to work it out again as it was expected that iowa would reciprocate and travel to penn state, but for whatever reason brands decided that it's non conference heated rivalries with grand canyon, montana state northern, Iowa central community college, and cornell college were a better fit for Iowa and better for the sport of wrestling. Not saying they have a weak schedule. They didn't yet wrestle any high school teams.

Says the Penn State homer......

I'm sure a schedule like that does wonders for recruiting. What young stud wouldn't dream of the day he could don the black and gold to dominate a community college. If not wrestling penn state means winning a national championship then it is well worth it.

What's funny is that a quick look at the PSU schedule is clear that they are challenging the top OOC teams:

Rider

Lock Haven

CSU Bakerfield

Stanford

And really stepping up with in-conference:

MSU

Purdon't

IU

Northwestern

Just saying - those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. PSU fans are delusional and the thought that they wrestle the toughest schedule is laughable

Cael said on the radio show that three years ago all the big ten coaches got together to discuss scheduling and all the coaches agreed that psu vs Iowa should be a dual that happens every year. Last year cael and brands were able to work it out despite not being on official big ten schedule, penn state agreed to travel to iowa. This year, cael tried to work it out again as it was expected that iowa would reciprocate and travel to penn state, but for whatever reason brands decided that it's non conference heated rivalries with grand canyon, montana state northern, Iowa central community college, and cornell college were a better fit for Iowa and better for the sport of wrestling. Not saying they have a weak schedule. They didn't yet wrestle any high school teams.

I'm pretty sure Iowa traveled to State College last year..... So maybe it was Cael not wanting to step out of the "comfort zone" and traveling to Iowa this year???

I'm going to have to stand up for Iowa here. What good would it do them and the team's morale, to get shellacked by Penn State? And in Happy Valley, in front of a rabid crowd? What's that going to benefit Iowa? As it is, they're going to get trampled at Big 10s and NCAA's, you need it to happen a 3rd time at a dual?

Iowa has done a fine job this season with who they have available, and taking pot shots at them only shows classlessness.

This post - no class.

Every poster on this board knows how iowa and it's wrestlers feel about having "fun" in regards to wrestling. It may be possible that a match up of these two titans would go a long way in the promotion of said "fun". Perhaps it is the underlying issue responsible. To deny penn state, it's wrestlers and it's fans the enjoyment associated with such a dual.

Matching up the two top teams historically is fun. Now PSU fans are martyred b/c they were "denied" what is so rightfully theirs....

Bunch of cultists.....

What's funny is that a quick look at the PSU schedule is clear that they are challenging the top OOC teams:

Rider

Lock Haven

CSU Bakerfield

Stanford

MSU

Purdon't

IU

Northwestern

Just saying - those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. PSU fans are delusional and the thought that they wrestle the toughest schedule is laughable

We don't schedule our B1G schedule - the conference does.

And as far as that goes I'd dare anyone to find Lehigh or lock haven as non conference opponents who would love to pick us apart.

Tit for tat

Rider

Lock Haven

CSU Bakerfield

Stanford

MSU

Purdon't

IU

Northwestern

Rider

Lock Haven

CSU Bakerfield

Stanford

MSU

Purdon't

IU

Northwestern

After Penn State wrestles Oklahoma State next weekend, they will have faced all of the top seven teams from the initial coaches poll this year except Iowa. Iowa will have wrestled one.

Rider, Bakersfield and Stanford are all fringe top 25 teams. Rider was 26th in the inital coaches poll. Bakersfield is 25th in the current poll. Stanford has been as high as 18th this year in Flo's dual meet rankings.

The weakest OOC team on Penn State's schedule by far is Lock Haven. Lock Haven would be favored over four of the seven teams on Iowa's OOC schedule.

Iowa, through no fault of its own, wrestled a weak schedule this year. You should accept that and move on. It doesn't matter. It doesn't reflect poorly on your team. By trying to contain the irrational exuberance of some Penn State fans, you're just making yourself look like a moron.

From everything I have read, non Division I opponents do not factor into the RPI. If they did, I doubt Iowa would have one wrestler in the top 10. 

How's that for clear headed thinking HoundedHawk? 

Edited by carp

Just because you lack the intellectual capacity to understand it doesn't make it "nonsensical"

Suffice it to say RPI is a strength of schedule measure that unfortunately doesn't punish teams that schedule extremely weak competition from lower divisions. Those results are thrown out because of the complications of introducing a limited number of interdivisional matchups into that division's RPI. If there was a way to do this properly, teams such as Iowa that wrestle multiple duals against said sub-par competition would have wrestlers with much lower RPIs. Really a pretty basic concept for anyone with half a brain in their head. 

Oh, btw, congratulations on the big win last night: Iowa 51 Montana State 0. Tommy really has his boys peaking for the post season. Should be right in the mix for a placing trophy again this year   

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Yes, because calling someone stupid instead of articulating a point is a real sign of intelligence. 

It's not my job to educate the world. If Penn State fans can't figure out how RPI works or why it's important that is not my fault. Maybe go stand outside the JoePa statue and pray for enlightenment?

Let's get over ourselves here, guys!  I wouldn't argue that PSU hasn't wrestled a tougher schedule, but it isn't near the life changing difference you chest beaters think it is.

First off, NEITHER Coach picks their conference schedule.  So the ONLY thing you can point to is their non-conference schedule. Here is each school's respective non-conference schedule listed from most difficult(in my opinion) to least difficult:

Iowa------------------------------------------------PSU

Midlands                                                     Scuffle      Comparable

OkState                                                       VTech      Comparable

Iowa State                                                   Lehigh     Comparable

South Dakota State                                    Stanford    Comparable

N/A                                                             CSU Bakersfield  above

N/A                                                              Rider                   above

Iowa City Duals minus Maryland                N. L. Open   Comparable to slightly in PSU's favor.  Not a tough tourney.

Montana State Northern                             Lockhaven   Comparable

So, what you guys are holding your hats on is having wrestled CSU Bakersfield and Rider?  I wouldn't argue if you said the N.L. Open was slightly harder than the Iowa Quad, but it isn't exactly a big gap!

Also, don't forget, Iowa has been doing the Quad for quite a while specifically trying to give the local small schools exposure.  If they would have schedule a tournament instead of that dual, they could have actually ended up with a harder non-conference schedule.

Simply put, the gap isn't all that wide to attack Iowa for their schedule.  Not only did I do a very accurate side by side comparison, but an actual impartial computer program supports this as well.

With the above said, I am sure most of you chest beaters will ignore the ACTUAL DATA and keep spouting off.  But, if you feel wrestling CSU Bakersfield and Rider, while hosting a early lower tier tournament makes your schedule superior.......................

Edited by MSU158

We offered Brands a rematch here on xmas weekend but he passed. Not returning the favor from last year - obviously because we RS'd two starters and 3 frosh last year.

For those who think Iowa is ducking and owes PSU one:

2011: at PSU

2012: at PSU

2013: at Iowa

Dec 2013: unscheduled one at Iowa; now teams are even

2015: at PSU

2016: ???

Edited by azchief32

From everything I have read, non Division I opponents do not factor into the RPI. If they did, I doubt Iowa would have one wrestler in the top 10. 

How's that for clear headed thinking HoundedHawk? 

The thinking seems still directed by a clear obsessive contempt for Iowa wrestling.  

You need some sort of cleansing.  

Edited by HoundedHawk

For those who think Iowa is ducking and owes PSU one:

2011: at PSU

2012: at PSU

2013: at Iowa

Dec 2013: unscheduled one at Iowa; now teams are even

2015: at PSU

2016: ???

Without looking I am guessing the one prior to 2011 was at Iowa. Then the 2011 dual at Penn State was the last in a 10 game series where PSU got the even numbers (not even years, even numbers i.e. the 10th dual in a 10 dual series is an even number)  in the series and Iowa got the odd ones. The 2012 dual would then be the first in the subsequent 10 dual series, but this time the order is reversed just as it is in football. PSU gets the first dual, Iowa the next and so on. This means Iowa should get the 2016 dual. When this 10 match set ends, the next 10 match set will commence @Iowa and the Hawkeyes will enjoy two in a row at home, the last one in this set, and the first one in the next set. 

2013 has nothing to do with Big10 scheduling at all. It doesn't even anything out as nothing needs evening out. That dual was at Iowa, and the next unscheduled dual would be at Penn State. Had the two teams agreed to an unscheduled dual this season, or when they agree to one in the future, it would have been or will be at Penn State. 

Edited by TBar1977

Let's get over ourselves here, guys!  I wouldn't argue that PSU hasn't wrestled a tougher schedule, but it isn't near the life changing difference you chest beaters think it is.

First off, NEITHER Coach picks their conference schedule.  So the ONLY thing you can point to is their non-conference schedule. Here is each school's respective non-conference schedule listed from most difficult(in my opinion) to least difficult:

Iowa------------------------------------------------PSU

Midlands                                                     Scuffle      Comparable

OkState                                                       VTech      Comparable

Iowa State                                                   Lehigh     Comparable

South Dakota State                                    Stanford    Comparable

N/A                                                             CSU Bakersfield  above

N/A                                                              Rider                   above

Iowa City Duals minus Maryland                N. L. Open   Comparable to slightly in PSU's favor.  Not a tough tourney.

Montana State Northern                             Lockhaven   Comparable

So, what you guys are holding your hats on is having wrestled CSU Bakersfield and Rider?  I wouldn't argue if you said the N.L. Open was slightly harder than the Iowa Quad, but it isn't exactly a big gap!

Also, don't forget, Iowa has been doing the Quad for quite a while specifically trying to give the local small schools exposure.  If they would have schedule a tournament instead of that dual, they could have actually ended up with a harder non-conference schedule.

Simply put, the gap isn't all that wide to attack Iowa for their schedule.  Not only did I do a very accurate side by side comparison, but an actual impartial computer program supports this as well.

With the above said, I am sure most of you chest beaters will ignore the ACTUAL DATA and keep spouting off.  But, if you feel wrestling CSU Bakersfield and Rider, while hosting a early lower tier tournament makes your schedule superior.......................

Let's be totally objective here. Based on Intermat's team dual rankings linked here:

http://intermatwrestle.com/rankings/college/Team

Penn State wrestled 9 ranked teams to Iowa's 6. 9 vs. 6 is statistically meaningful. 

Penn State wrestled 4 teams ranked in the Intermat dual rankings top 10. Iowa wrestled 2. 4 vs. 2 is also statistically meaningful.