Sign in to follow this  
Shiraz123

Ukraine tournament tommorow

Ok, another nice stream from overseas, with audio. Thank you.

Aaah, tough to see Logan get caught in a cradle and pinned, with an 8-4 lead no less. Reminded me when Pico got cradled and pinned off his shot against a Russian last year or so.

I agree, hopefully Logan learns from this, as well as the his Yarygin match where his shots were countered with chest locks. IMO, these overseas tournaments are invaluable to help expose some weaknesses before the big dance. (Btw, never saw this UKR wrestler before, and when he and Logan first stepped on the mat, I was like uh-oh, this guy seems huge and he's in the finals - not going to be easy.)

Still, very proud of Logan Stieber. Love his heart, and love to watch him wrestle. IMO, he's one of the favorites to win the Trials.

What are the "signs that BM is slipping"?

1. His year-over-year performance at Yargin.

2. US Open Finals --- beating a 1 legged JO by only a point.  I know he beat him at WTTs two in a row 4 weeks later again (2nd bout handily) but he wont have the advantage of having a bye into the finals at OTTs like he did at WTTs.

He's still the favorite to win the weight and I would bet on him to win, I just feel the gap is closing.  And it doesn't just have to be JO to catch him, could be Green (doubtful this year IMO), Pico (also doubtful), Kennedy (slight chance) or Stieber (possible -- best shot after JO).

Edited by Angry_Fish

Guest Kingsland

People have said the gap is closing domestically on Metcalf for years. Until someone from the US actually beats him, he'll be my pick for Rio.

Well congrats to Logan got his third Silver here in this past quarter of a year, (Farrell, the Golden Grand Prix, and now here). Logan has a prolific offense and he shows that he can score on these World level guys pretty much at will, but still he still has to get better on defense. (Kind of reminds me of the Green Bay Packers from a few years ago, Lol). He is just allowing his opponents to score too many points against him. If Logan can tighten up his defense he may have a real shot and taking it to the next level where he's winning these tournaments. As far as what next up on his schedule, I'm not sure but hopefully he continues to improve. Come April, I'm not sure who will emerge out of that meat grinder to face Metcalf, but I will be looking forward to it. Meanwhile, I hope that whoever it is, Metcalf, Green, or possibly someone else, that we can get the weight class qualified. Does anyone know who is going to Medved next week?

Also congrats to Adam Hall for taking home a silver medal. Don't know what his overall record is, but seems like he's had quite a few wins on the international level over the past few years.

Just looking at the 65 bracket - 13 wrestlers with 4 Americans and sure enough, all 4 Americans draw another American in the first round. Incredible.

Pico going at 70 tonight?

No David Taylor at 86?

What are the "signs that BM is slipping"? Losing in the Yarigin? So did Kyle Snyder and Jake Varner. Stieber just got stuck in this tournament which is something that has never happened to Metcalf internationally. Green lost in Round 1 of the first tournament down at 65kg (which was really 67kg with the allowance which doesn't bode well for 65 kg).

Can't wait for everyone to justify these performances.

Check your defensiveness at the door, it's embarrassing.   If you want to see signs of him slipping, buy Flopro, don't be a cheapskate (Yeah I know it sucks ass) and watch for yourself.   Brent has lost a step and he's no longer over powering like he was in college.   These guys are bigger, stronger, better.   He's slipping, no matter what excuse you come up with about Varner or Dake, he's slipping.   Oh and Varner has an Olympic gold medal and a world bronze, before you start compering him to Brent.   And Dake has twice as many NCAA titles and just as many world level medals as Brent, before you start comparing hi to Dake either.   

Well congrats to Logan got his third Silver here in this past quarter of a year, (Farrell, the Golden Grand Prix, and now here). Logan has a prolific offense and he shows that he can score on these World level guys pretty much at will, but still he still has to get better on defense. (Kind of reminds me of the Green Bay Packers from a few years ago, Lol). He is just allowing his opponents to score too many points against him. If Logan can tighten up his defense he may have a real shot and taking it to the next level where he's winning these tournaments. As far as what next up on his schedule, I'm not sure but hopefully he continues to improve. Come April, I'm not sure who will emerge out of that meat grinder to face Metcalf, but I will be looking forward to it. Meanwhile, I hope that whoever it is, Metcalf, Green, or possibly someone else, that we can get the weight class qualified. Does anyone know who is going to Medved next week?

Metcalf will be in the meat grinder himself.    Who ever emerges will represent USA in Rio.   Brent's 2 and done at world's did not earn him a bye this year.  

I don't think he is slipping.  for the last several years he has mostly beaten everybody domestically but struggled overseas. folk and free are completely different sports. I don't think we should really talk about someones college career at all when discussing their senior career's. I just don't think the iowa style works against good international guys unless they have terrible conditioning. 

Check your defensiveness at the door, it's embarrassing.   If you want to see signs of him slipping, buy Flopro, don't be a cheapskate (Yeah I know it sucks ass) and watch for yourself.   Brent has lost a step and he's no longer over powering like he was in college.   These guys are bigger, stronger, better.   He's slipping, no matter what excuse you come up with about Varner or Dake, he's slipping.   Oh and Varner has an Olympic gold medal and a world bronze, before you start compering him to Brent.   And Dake has twice as many NCAA titles and just as many world level medals as Brent, before you start comparing hi to Dake either.   

wrestlingphish, you should listen to the wisdom of cletus (=suzie), who enlightened us last year about the future of 65kg in the USA with these gems:

Feb 2015 prior to Metcalf v Pico: 

"The thing with Pico is he just goes out there and keeps producing.   Unlike those a bit longer in the tooth who compete only a handful of times all year, Pico is entering tournaments across the globe and getting some really good looks.   The Iranian appears to be the best in the world (Japan is nice too) but Pico just continues to mow down opposition left and right.   I can't wait for the Metcalf showdown.    If Pico wears him out and sends him beaten and frustrated back to the Iowa locker room area, much like the NC State kid did at NCAAs, what then?  Can anyone push him domestically?  The kid should be preparing for his HS prom, instead he's one of the best wrestlers in the world."  

(for the record, Metcalf defeated Pico)

March 2015:

"Steiber pass Pico?  

Come on guys, Pico is not getting passed.  

He's the one coming up quickly in the fast lane.  He's the one doing the passing.  

He's the #2 ranked guy in the United States now as a high schooler.  

Give him by this time next year and he will be untouchable domestically and right there with the very best in the world.   He's just that good."   

Clearly... no one is as wise as cletus=suzie.

Edited by rossel3

Ouch Cletus

I wont deny I've been wrong on 3 or 4 of my predictions over the past 2 years.   I also had Snyder placing top 5 at worlds but not on the medal stand.   Notice he had to go back an entire year to come up with a failed prediction on Pico.   

Incidentally, Pico wrestles in a couple hours up a weight at 70 kg.   

But no matter what Pico does, we have to face Brent is slipping.  Ignore the strawman, and lets focus on the topic.    Pico could retire tonight after winning gold, and the same still stands.   Brent had better get it figured out because right now, I'm not sure he's going to place at trials, let alone represent the USA in Rio.   And with the weight not even qualified, Brent better kick it into gear, or USA might not even be represented at 65 kg.   That's the sad reality.    

I enjoyed the commentary too... "Pico is no good person"... Hahaha. You could tell that guy was sitting on top of pico to mess with him.. But still funny. Pico wasn't having as much success transitioning those snaps to his front headlock position. It looked like he was hesitant a bit... Or perhaps those guys were stronger up a weight.