Sign in to follow this  
jeffr_ideal

Snyder has scored 69 pts in 3 matches

The best heavies are playing football. That is why the best 197s Cox and Snyder can win 285. That is the only reason. Snyder knows he can beat Gwiz already from going with him at the OTC. I know that was freestyle but without that knowledge I bet he didn't come back this year unless he pretty much knew he could easily win the title. Snyder was beating him worse than Tervel-yes I know it was practice but we will see I guess. Ty Walz scares me a bit because of sheer size. 

This is completely false.  The best athletes at 197 (men who walk around at 220 and have the frame to bulk up beyond that) are not wrestling anymore often then the best athletes at heavyweight are.  As for whether they can win at heavy, Snyder will get his chance to prove it.  If Cox could have won a national title at 285 he'd be wrestling there.  As is Mizzou is sending out a guy who is almost a forfeit.  Obviously Cox likes his chances at 197 better.

Snyder is very impressive. For the record, I am a fan.

With yhat being said, my money is on Gwiz until I see Snyder dominate a Walz, Coon, or Marsden.

Size difference does matter. And, if he couldnt beat Gadson at 197, why would I assume he beats Gwiz based solely on his impressive Freestyle results.

I could be wrong. The next month should be interesting !

Snyder is very impressive. For the record, I am a fan.

With yhat being said, my money is on Gwiz until I see Snyder dominate a Walz, Coon, or Marsden.

Size difference does matter. And, if he couldnt beat Gadson at 197, why would I assume he beats Gwiz based solely on his impressive Freestyle results.

I could be wrong. The next month should be interesting !

He didn't beat Gadsen that's for sure. He couldn't beat him at the NCAAs, that's a proven fact. But can he beat Gadsen? No question. So your point is well taken: I wouldn't count Gwiz out of the match. I wouldn't lay long odds for a Snyder win. I would say, however, that if Synder keeps it together mentally and doesn't have the kind of full-on brain freeze like he did in B1Gs and NCAAs last year, he is the favorite. 

This.

And the guys he's wrestling are DI wrestlers. Selective comp or not, he's been impressive up a weight.

is he really up a weight though?  I mean he wrestles 213.5 in free, I'd say its safe to assume he's close to 240

with that being said, IMO snyder walks through this weight

Edited by Witherman

Snyder says he stays around 220..... 225 at the most as his walk around fit weight. So yes he is up a weight. About the same for Varner. JD is around 240 without cutting. Cox I bet is closer to 230.

Again Snyder already knows he can beat Gwiz and Coon. The wild card is wrestling Walz or Mardsen for the first time and getting surprised. Size will be a factor with all these guys!

Snyder hasn't wrestled a Folkstyler of Gwiz's caliber yet.

He's wrestled Gwiz himself many times at OTC. I am guessing he is well versed on where he stands vs. Gwiz. Don't get me wrong, I actually DO give Gwiz a chance against Snyder. I would still rate Snyder a favorite.

I would rate Snyder a big favorite against everyone else. 

He's wrestled Gwiz himself many times at OTC. I am guessing he is well versed on where he stands vs. Gwiz. Don't get me wrong, I actually DO give Gwiz a chance against Snyder. I would still rate Snyder a favorite.

I would rate Snyder a big favorite against everyone else. 

I pick Snyder as well, but I don't place any predictive value on practice matches in a different style.  I also don't think Snyder coming back means he got the best of those practice matches.  Some guys would wrestle even if another guy was their equal or better in old practice matches.  

Not even an Ohio St. fan but it is amazing the lack of respect people give a world champion...oh yeah it was freestyle.... eye roll

It's not lack of respect, it's a different style.   He is beatable in folk, we've seen that. 

Edited by Cletus_Tucker

I pick Snyder as well, but I don't place any predictive value on practice matches in a different style.  I also don't think Snyder coming back means he got the best of those practice matches.  Some guys would wrestle even if another guy was their equal or better in old practice matches.  

We'll find out soon enough, and it should be a highly anticipated match up. 

Snyder says he stays around 220..... 225 at the most as his walk around fit weight. So yes he is up a weight. About the same for Varner. JD is around 240 without cutting. Cox I bet is closer to 230.

Again Snyder already knows he can beat Gwiz and Coon. The wild card is wrestling Walz or Mardsen for the first time and getting surprised. Size will be a factor with all these guys!

Are you sure he beat Gwiz at the OTC?