Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Big10 Hwt. Seeding

1)      Coon, U Mich (9-0. 15-1)) or Snyder tOSU (3-0,3-0)

2)      Coon, U Mich or Snyder tOSU

3)      Sam Stoll, Iowa (11-0, 20-2)

4)      Billy Smith, RU (8-2, win over Kroells)

5)      Michael Kroells, Minn. (8-2)

6)      Collin Jensen, Neb (5-4, Fall over Black)

7)      Nick Nevills, PSU (1-0)

8)      Brooks Black, Ill. (5-5)

9)      Garrett Goldman, IU (5-4)

10)   Brock Horwath, UW (2-6)

11)   Tyler Krai, PU (2-7)

12)   Dawson Peck, MD (1-5)

13)   Dimitrius Renfroe, MSU (1-8, win over Jennings)

14)   Conan Jennings, NW (1-8)

Best effort. Way off, or about right? 

He picked up 4 bouts this weekend, which makes him eligible for the coaches rank. He should meet the bronze standard.

wrestlestats has him at 5-1 with 5 wins against guys ranked 100+ and 1 loss to a guy ranked 10 to 15.  How does that even get him seeded in the b10 much less qualifying standard?

Edited by ionel

Remember, Big 10 seeding is done by the coaches, not criteria.  It'll be likely the most interesting weight seeded, based on having two late season additions that really don't follow your typical pattern.  It's all going to be determined by each coach's feeling on how seeding should go and how much is based on body of work for the season, and how much is based on who they think the best guys are.  You have a lot of different dynamics going on here and with Synder and Nevills on two of the top teams, it gets even more interesting than if they were on teams not considered possibilities for winning the Big10/NCAA's.

I'd have a hard time seeing Snyder getting below #4, with #2 most likely.  Nevills (disclaimer: he's my high school wrestler) has even less competition than Snyder this year and is coming off a redshirt season, not a returning NCAA finalist season and World Championship.  I have no doubt he can wrestle with the top guys, but he may not be seeded above #12.  He definitely won't be above Black at #7 IMO who will earn an automatic qualifying berth.  But #8-12 could be interesting, and could involve some jockeying with coaches who don't want to see him in the first round (8v9, 7v10, 6v11, 5v12, 4v13, 3v14).

6 matches qualifies for the coaches ranking?

"In order to be eligible for the rankings, wrestlers must have participated in at least five matches against Division I opponents in the weight class and have wrestled within the last 30 days."

http://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2016-01-21/college-wrestling-ncaa-releases-wrestling-coaches-panel-rankings

"In order to be eligible for the rankings, wrestlers must have participated in at least five matches against Division I opponents in the weight class and have wrestled within the last 30 days."

http://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2016-01-21/college-wrestling-ncaa-releases-wrestling-coaches-panel-rankings

Wow.  Thanks, tirapell.  I thought it was 7 for some reason.  Interesting to see what the coaches do.

But till he actually beats a top 20 guy (b10s), who is going to rank him?  If he is as good as most think he is, he should have no trouble getting in without being seed top 8 at b10.

I have no idea.  I really don't know how it will play out, even with Snyder.

Like I said, some of it depends upon if they are concerned about Nevills wrestling their guy.  In fairness however, it's not like he's completely unproven.  He's 1-0 versus the #5 and #15 guys in the country, albeit last year.  Big 10 coaches usually are a pretty savvy group and don't ignore the obvious.

Nevills was very fortunate they wrestled his weight in a round robin format this past weekend.  He was 1 of only 5 in his bracket.  Regardless of who he has wrestled, if he has wrestled enough matches to be eligible, there is no question he is Top 33 at 285.  Gotta give the PSU staff credit.  They know the rules and found a way to get Nevills eligible.

tirapell,

On the flip side of coaches' being savvy, they would also know how big it would be for PSU to get an additional NCAA qualifier at 285.  Would coaches like Brands and Ryan give him a seed, regardless of his only having 1 B1G match?  You would think they would want his road to be as difficult as possible.

Either way, I would love to see each Coach's Ranking at 285 and I would really love to be a fly on the wall when 285 is discussed after...........

tirapell,

On the flip side of coaches' being savvy, they would also know how big it would be for PSU to get an additional NCAA qualifier at 285.  Would coaches like Brands and Ryan give him a seed, regardless of his only having 1 B1G match?  You would think they would want his road to be as difficult as possible.

Either way, I would love to see each Coach's Ranking at 285 and I would really love to be a fly on the wall when 285 is discussed after...........

That's exactly my point.  But if you are Brands and seed him too low, do you want him to face Stoll in Round 1 and potentially hurt your team?  The knife cuts both ways in this case.  All I'm saying is that it's interesting and I have no idea how it will play out.

There are bound to be some coaches fit to be tied as their guy may have to face either Snyder or Nevills earlier than they'd like. 

I imagine Snyder will be seeded #2 or better here, so I doubt that will be a problem. Remember this is based on the coaches.

For Nevills, he may not be seeded well. We also don't know how good he really is. He has a very good resume and I think he AAs this year, but he hasn't proven it yet. It could be other coaches are not too concerned with him

Nevills was very fortunate they wrestled his weight in a round robin format this past weekend. He was 1 of only 5 in his bracket. Regardless of who he has wrestled, if he has wrestled enough matches to be eligible, there is no question he is Top 33 at 285. Gotta give the PSU staff credit. They know the rules and found a way to get Nevills eligible.

+1

I noticed that as well.

That's exactly my point.  But if you are Brands and seed him too low, do you want him to face Stoll in Round 1 and potentially hurt your team?  The knife cuts both ways in this case.  All I'm saying is that it's interesting and I have no idea how it will play out.

I knew what you meant.  That is why I would like to see how each individual coach does their rankings.  I would like to see the range of where Nevills is put by each coach.

I'm thinking the RR at the tournament this weekend was something the coaches knew before they sent him there.

More than that, check out the actual wrestlers entered at 285. 

Has Coon wrestled Stoll?  I think it is pretty clear Coon & Snyder - or Snyder & Coon are #1 & #2 in the Big 10 - after those two it seems to drop off some with Stoll, Kroells, and possibly Nevill. 

This is not quite like a few years back when the top 5/6 Heavyweights were all Big 10 guys.  With Walz beating Coon the NCAA seeding will be interesting. 

Edited by JerryCallo