Sign in to follow this  
Creek chub

NC State vs Iowa

Nice job NC State, and so happy for Renda. Watched Renda for 4 years in high school, each year improving until he finally won a state title his senior year. Kid always showed class while wrestling. 

Edited by Chasden

This season NC State took down Iowa, Minnesota, AND Oklahoma state.  Rewind the clock back to 2011 the year before Popilizo takes over.  Penn state is starting its run, but prior to that Iowa Minnesota and Oklahoma State have combined for the previous TWENTY TWO national titles in a row.  Other than Darrion Caldwell NC State has not had an AA since 1996.  Four years later and NC State beats all 3 of those programs in one season and has four guys in the top 10.  Utter Insanity.

Never in a million years would I have predicted this program to have so much success so fast.  This has to be the quickest and most dramatic improvement of a non-traditional powerhouse program ever.  When combined with what he did at binghamton I'm convinced Popalizio is a wizard

I would've and did.

I saw what Pop did here in Binghamton and knew it was only a matter of time.

I get that not many would even pay attention to it simply because of location but if you knew Pat and saw day in and day out what he does it wouldn't surprise you.

He and the people he surrounds himself with deserve a ton of credit.

I just don't think anyone fears Iowa like they may have a decade or two ago. If Willy were around he'd say it's because the entire ecosystem of coaches started with Iowa. There's not much room to innovate at this stage other than maybe recruiting.

The thing that used to separate Iowa is that all 10 guys wrestled up over their heads talent wise.

It wasn't just their blue chippers that got it done.

Now the Hawkeye role players are tough kids but not overachieving.  Call it mystique or whatever but fact is other than the blue chippers the Hawks aren't punching through.

I would say Brian Smith turned Mizzou around relatively quick as well.

I also think they finished top 4 at NCAA.

Likely AA's

Mayes

Lewis

Milkus

Cox (champ)

R12 probable AA's

Barlow

Manley

Butler

Barlow or Manley one should AA'S

2-2 Guys

Synon

That is quite a few points and should put them top 4. Especially if Cox wins it

I don't get the oranges reference, what does it mean? I am being honest not trying to be a smart ass.

In an interview with mattalkonline Kevin Dresser called out the Iowa program last week accusing them of being pussies. Yes, he used that word. He claimed the whole NWCA match selction process was rigged because Iowa didn't want to wrestle Va Tech, so he called them "pussies". Then he said because his wife didn't like the word he would call them "oranges" instead of that other word, and he proceeded to call them oranges about 20 times after that. It was simultaneously way over the top and comical. 

First of all, Coach Pop deserves the accolades.  He looks for a specific type of wrestler and molds him.  Remarkable how quickly he's been able to build a team around Gwiz.  Max Rohskopf went to Colt Sponseller's high school and placed at state a couple times.  Not a champ...not that close.  I doubt Ohio State--a team whose entire season has been altered because they had no 165--even sniffed him.  Pop has turned him into a serious AA candidate in a few years.  

Iowa and Ohio State have remarkably similar teams right now.   Both programs have four superb competitors, a few more solid guys and then the rest of the weights are manned by guys who seem to have never quite found that "next gear."  

tOSU has been decimated by injuries too to be fair.

Not that the Hawks haven't but tOSU lost a real hammer in Hunter Steiber.

Until last night, Iowa had been remarkably healthy this year, hadn't they?  Much more so than most of the other top teams. 

Is the ACC the number 2 conference this year for duals? How do they stack up for national tournament?

then who's #1, is it the SEC again this year?

ACC, MAC, and Southern were all undefeated in the National Bowl, correct?  and b10 was .500 even with b10 getting to write the rules, so .... ?   ;)

ACC, MAC, and Southern were all undefeated in the National Bowl, correct?  and b10 was .500 even with b10 getting to write the rules, so .... ?   ;)

While that is true, the Big Ten had the most entrants (because of how the tournament was drawn up) but that also means that they had the most chances to lose and had more of their lesser talent involved. PSU had the win in the "championship" but should have wrestled one of the ACC schools. While VT should have wrestled either IA or tOSU. What that shows is we could have maybe had a few better match ups, but unfair to say the big ten had the worst performance.

ACC, MAC, and Southern were all undefeated in the National Bowl, correct? and b10 was .500 even with b10 getting to write the rules, so .... ? ;)

My questions were spawned based on dual ratings only. (Can't buy any correlation with the so-called National bowl win- loss, sorry). If you look at only the top four you can make a case that the ACC is stronger - if you accept that VT and NC State are closer to PSU then Iowa, which is arguable. However if you drop below the top two teams I'd guess the gap widens in favor of the Big10. I'm actually happy with the ACC growing closer - always thought the PAC would be the league to someday move on the Big10 not the ACC. Good on them. Good for keeping wrestling a solidly national sport.