Sign in to follow this  
wrestfan

Iran Olympic Trials

They just announced their final list for the Olympic trials which is much shorter than expectations. 

57: Hassan Rahimi and Reza Atri (in an international tournament)

65: Ahmad Mohammadi and Meisam Nassiri

74: Hassan Yazdani and Mostafa Hosseinkhani

86: Alireza Karimi, Ehsan Lashgari, Reza Bayat and Meisam Jokar

97: Reza Yazdani and Amir Mohammadi

Greco

75: Saeid Abdevali is already selected

85: Habibollah Akhlaghi, Mojtaba Karimfar, Davoud Abedinzadeh, Davoud Akhbari, Hossein Nouri and Yousef Ghaderian

98: Ghasem Rezaei and Mehdi Aliyari

* In other weights, they still have to qualify the weight first, after that they will send whoever wins the quota plus a challenger to an international tournament to decide. 

* since they want to test Rahimi in his own weight, they will send him and Atri to an international tournament to decide the Olympic team member. in other weights we will have the trials somewhere around 16 April in Tehran.

Abbas Tahan and Alireza Ghasemi despite winning the quota can't even wrestle here ! because of their poor performance in international competitions 

I expect the team to be :

Rahimi

Mohammadi

Yazdani

Karimi (If he isn't injured and can train)

Yazdani

Not sure about 125. Both haven't looked good.

I thought Parviz Hadi was doing good, he just won Asian Championships, not the strongest of competition, but still.

They are actually making Reza Yazdani wrestle off with a guy Varner beat at the world cup?

not the same guy, this one is Amir Mohammadi, who won silver in Takhti Cup this year and made few problems for Yazdani, video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emnG-Eo6x_E

that was Mohammad-Hossein Mohammadian, Asian Champion and World Bronze medalist who is now banned for doping.

This Amir Mohammadi seems to be really good, way better than Tahan. Good to have another strong 97kg outside of Yazdani. How come I hadn't really heard of him before Takhti? What's his age and accomplishments?

maybe because there are so many "Mohammadi" or Mohammadian in Iran lol. he is around for couple of years, he was always good but not that good, I think he is 24. he was much better his year, winning the nationals in style. I would like to se him in Thailand instead of Yazdani (and Yazdani in Minsk)

btw if you are interested he is from "North Khorasan", probably the first good wrestler from there.

This Amir Mohammadi seems to be really good, way better than Tahan. Good to have another strong 97kg outside of Yazdani. How come I hadn't really heard of him before Takhti? What's his age and accomplishments?

He has destroyed guys such Tahan, Mirzaei and Talebi many times in nationals,actually was more active in Pahlavani H.W (although less weight), before 2015.

I expect the team to be :

Rahimi

Mohammadi

Yazdani

Karimi (If he isn't injured and can train)

Yazdani

Not sure about 125. Both haven't looked good.

Don't hesitate Hadi is really as good as competing Akgull for gold,and very better than Komeil. only he need coaches trust, after Vegas injury. keep this from me.

Akgul from this year seems too good. The one who won 2014 worlds I wouldn't be surprised if he lost but he has widened the gap so much. I would be shocked if either Ghasemi or Hadi beat him, more so than if Yazdani beats Burroughs. I would be happy for a medal at this weight, but of course I hope you are right and Hadi wins gold if he wins the trials but I highly doubt it. He has lost to Akgul before also.

Iran's main gold medal chances are at 57,65 and 97. One of these should at least get gold and two if we have a great tournament. If something happens to Sadulaev or Karimi can pull off a big upset then also Karimi. 

Guys just want to ask if Goleij beat Jokar at the Takhti repechage? Read on facebook comments that Goleij beat him 6-2. Is it true? If so then why isn't Goleij getting a chance at the trials?

Edit: I found out on Instagram that it is true, they had Goleij and Jokar wrestle and Goleij beat him 6-2. So how is Jokar getting to the final trials but not Goleij? Seems ridiculous and unfair to me.

Edited by Shiraz123

As far as I know they both finished 3rd on the podium. Jokar lost to Bayat, Goleij to Lashgari

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCU1eW9DxWj/?taken-by=alimadhani898 

I read it from the article on this guys page and then in the comments he says it was 6-2. They had them wrestle off for a chance at the trials it seems as they were not on the same side of the bracket at Takhti to wrestle for bronze. First read it on facebook a few days ago but thought it wasn't true as I hadn't heard it before but it seems it is. 

http://www.iawf.ir/images//Content/Contents/PicService/1619784c-ef4c-4cc0-8ca4-d371b2a0596a/_MG_2334.jpg

I also went back and looked up the pictures and Jokar isn't on the podium. 

Feel bad for Goleij. Only reason I  could think of why they would do this to him is because he is young so they don't trust him incase he somehow wins the trials. Jokar is great win for a wrestler his age. 

Edited by Shiraz123

That's interesting, I didn't know that and nobody wrote about it anywhere. I wonder how reliable is this guy but he sounds reliable

iif this is true, I feel bad for Goleij, this is quite unfair for him, evne though I understand whey they gave a last chance to Jokar at the end of his career.

Guys just want to ask if Goleij beat Jokar at the Takhti repechage? Read on facebook comments that Goleij beat him 6-2. Is it true? If so then why isn't Goleij getting a chance at the trials?

Edit: I found out on Instagram that it is true, they had Goleij and Jokar wrestle and Goleij beat him 6-2. So how is Jokar getting to the final trials but not Goleij? Seems ridiculous and unfair to me.

This isn't true. Boht of them got 3rd. here you can see full results:

http://iawf.ir/Public/1/FINAL%20BOOK%20%20TAKHTI%20CUP%202016.pdf

Akgul from this year seems too good. The one who won 2014 worlds I wouldn't be surprised if he lost but he has widened the gap so much. I would be shocked if either Ghasemi or Hadi beat him, more so than if Yazdani beats Burroughs. I would be happy for a medal at this weight, but of course I hope you are right and Hadi wins gold if he wins the trials but I highly doubt it. He has lost to Akgul before also.

Iran's main gold medal chances are at 57,65 and 97. One of these should at least get gold and two if we have a great tournament. If something happens to Sadulaev or Karimi can pull off a big upset then also Karimi.

yes Hadi lost 5-3 to Akgul in a close match at Iranian league 2013, when hadn't have international exp. but he really has improved.

http://bfv-samenalhojaj.ir/ImageHandler.ashx?u=~/FilesUpload/Gallery/e1vd45xd.jpg&w=500&h=333&t=2&f=.jpg

Edited by goldlover

The Goleij/Jokar match was not for bronze as they were on opposite sides of the bracket, it seems to have been for a chance at the final trials. They probably had them wrestle because they were not at all expecting Bayat to make the finals and wanted to give Jokar another chance. Jokar won bronze but i think it is true that he lost to Goleij 6-2 in a seperate match held at the Takhti. 

Jokar was also not on the podium. 

57: I see no shot for gold here. hope Rahimi do his best and get a medal.

65: Most tough weight in the world. Mohammadi has 33% chance with Ramonov and Chamizo. best Bracket for him could be that Asgarov beat Chamizo and then Mohammadi will beat Asgarov for sure.

74: Yazdani has only Burroughs for Gold.I think 35% is his chance against him.

86: Karimi has only Sadulaev. I see he is very close to him and give 45% for Gold.

97: Yazdani is my big question in Olympic. If be healthy is unstoppable. then I gave 60% gold for him beside Russian, Gazumov and Snyder.

125: If Hadi goes to, his main obstacle will be Makhov. his chance aginst Makhov is 50% becuse of their same physical power, but against Akgul is 60%. best Drew for him is that akgul beat Makhov and then Hadi meet Akgul.

Edited by goldlover