Sign in to follow this  
wrestfan

Iran Olympic Trials

first day of Armenia tourney, Ahmad Mohammadi lost to a random Armenian while Nasiri went to the final and lost 5-5 to Gogaev. at this point none of them can win a medal in Rio, still I would pick Mohammadi but the odds are against him

Amir Mohammadi also won a silver after losing 8-8 to Georgi Ketoev in the final, Atri finished 5th.

That Armenian he lost to came 10th at Takhti this year. Mohammadi they can't send him at this point, injury ruined his year and he won't get better in the time left. You have to send Nasiri, I don't have much confidence in him medaling but Mohammadi is losing to everybody now. If you had told me after world championships Mohammadi won't go to Rio I would be shocked, this is a real shame. He had a good chance for gold. 

For American people who thought Molinario's win over Mohammadi was something great, he just went and lost like 10-2 or 8-2 to one of Armenia's second or third string 65kgs. 

97 Mohammadi got screwed by the refs int he finals. Kotoev stopped wrestling with 10 seconds left in the match and Mohammadi got the takedown with 2:59 clearly on the clock and should have won by 1 pt. went to review but it didn't matter, Armenia gets the victory. big time hose job. 

Hadi and Karimi (who wasn't supposed to wrestle here) won gold in 2nd day, Ghasemi didn't even medal losing to Sakandelidze,

I think it's fair to say they will pick Hadi (even though they want Ghasemi)

Karimi after beating terrible for few months finally had some good results here

I watched the tournament, Karimi was better here here than he has been for a while. One of the Russians he beat 11-0 was the junior world champion in 2013, the same year Karimi had to forfeit out the tournament. He didn't give up any points here except for 1 caution.

There were some similarities between Ghasemi and Hadi's peformances actually. Ghasemi against the Georgian fell behind by 4 after being countered on a takedown attempt. He got two takedowns but by the end with time running out he was forced to take bad shots which the Georgian countered to win 9-4. Hadi also gave up 4 in the first seconds of his final match but was able to come back and win 10-6, he gave up a lot of cheap points through mistakes in that final match.

The biggest mistake of Iranian's freestyle coaches, was the first team hard training and sending them to a lot of tournaments at last 6 month. Really it was obvious that Rahimi,Mohamadi, H Yazdani, Karimi, R Yazdani and Hadi  are the best and should be picked for Olympics.
Look at Chamizo, Asgarov, Geduev, Burroughs, Sadulaev, Gazumov, Makhov or Akgul (That are main Rival for Mohamadi, H Yazdani, Karimi, R Yazdani and Hadi and have best shot at Gold). they all have focused on Rio and rarely appeared in tournaments. From Top Guys, Only Snyder and Khenchigashvili had several tournaments.
So what we obtained from that? Injured Mohammadi, R Yazdani that had best shot at gold for Iran. Also not full ready (Pysicaly and mentaly) Karimi and Hadi. plus bored Rahimi and H Yazdani.
Our Gerco team with Bana is really more ready, although he has joined the team only 8 months ago and had few time for training and getting ready that awesome last year team, for Olympic.

Edited by goldlover

Official decision, Nasiri is selected, but Hadi and Ghasemi will wrestle best of 3 in Iran

also Reza Yazdani will be selected if he wrestles well in Spain tourney. (they just want to know he is fit)

Thank you Wrestfan but Nasiri is not selected, they said that the man will be picked among Mohammadi and Nasiri max 1 month later.

Also Reza Yazdani won't go to Spain and only trains, so they examine if he could wrestle in Rio max 1 month later.

also for 84 Junior team, they will hold periodic match between Goleij, Ghasempour, Moojerloo and Mohebbi.

I really Wonder Why they don't select Hadi. He is Really better than Ghasemi at all last 4 years and have 6-1 record from straight matches.

Edited by goldlover

Thank you Wrestfan but Nasiri is not selected, they said that the man will be picked among Mohammadi and Nasiri max 1 month later.

Also Reza Yazdani won't go to Spain and only trains, so they examine if he could wrestle in Rio max 1 month later.

also for 84 Junior team, they will hold periodic match between Goleij, Ghasempour, Moojerloo and Mohebbi.

I really Wonder Why they don't select Hadi. He is Really better than Ghasemi at all last 4 years and have 6-1 record from straight matches.

Goldlover, I read in a translated instagram post by Juybar_wrestling this morning that Yazdani was in fact wrestling in Spain and that he was not worried about injury. Is that incorrect? 

If Mohammadi had any chance to recover they took it from him with all these unnecessary matches. What I don't understand is why the forced him to have a trial with Nasiri if they obviously are desperate not to send Nasiri to the Olympics. Maybe they thought he would beat Nasiri even while injured?

Anyway Mohammadi now has no hope of a medal, if he cant beat guys like Molinaro and that nobody Armenian then who can he beat? Nasiri even healthy and at his best I would be very surprised he got a medal, a fluke draw is possible but with a weight as strong as 65 I doubt it. This was one of the 3 worst weights we could have got an injury in, along with 57 and 97, we went from a almost guaranteed medal and a possible gold to almost no chance at any medal. 

Also Reza Yazdani is saying he will wrestle in Spain. 

I dont know if its true but I heard from one of the Turkish coaches that Nasiri and Hadi are the ethnic Azerbaijanis (Turks) and thats one of the reasons Iranian Wrestling Federation not willing to send them to RIO

Edited by Grimo

I dont know if its true but I heard from one of the Turkish coaches that Nasiri and Hadi are the ethnic Azerbaijanis (Turks) and thats one of the reasons Iranian Wrestling Federation not willing to send them to RIO

nonsense. nobody cares where they came from

They are not willing to send them simply because they don't trust them to win a medal. btw Nasiri is already 99% selected despite the fact everybody know his chance is very slim to win anything.

Hadi and Ghasemi will wrestle on Monday, whoever wins will go to Rio.

So since the Olympic team is set...

Rahimi: Could win gold, should medal at the least. Will be separated from Khinchegashvili until the finals. 

Nasiri: I really don't see him medaling. Romanov, Chamizo, Kaya and Asgarov all probably beat him.  Maybe he can have a good tournament and surprise everyone. We really needed Mohammadi here. 

Yazdani: I see no way he beats Burroughs or Gedeuv, which means he could get anything from silver or not medal at all. All depends on the draw.

Karimi: Ok he has not looked great although he was better in Armenia. If he's ready I see no way he loses to anyone but Sadulaev. I see Sharipov is back but I remember how close Lashgari was with Sharipov in 2012 Olympics, and that was Sharipov at his best. Lashgari and Sharipov were the best two wrestlers in the weight at the London Olympics by far. And Karimi is much better wrestler than Lashgari ever was, which is why i'm not too worried about Sharipov coming back

Yazdani: I would have picked him to win gold confidently if he had stayed healthy after those great performances at clubs cup where he destroyed Varner and the Asian championships. But instead he got another bad injury, so we will see. Should medal at the least and has a good chance at gold. 

Ghasemi: I would not be surprised if he medaled or if he gets nothing at all, I could really see either.