Sign in to follow this  
wrestfan

Iran Olympic Trials

Yh like Wrestfan said Sourian had these same problems in the year before the 2012 Olympics but still win gold. But this year I doubt he will be able to do it again. 30 at the lower weights is so old, it's not like 30 at HW. Actually I think they were planning on just sending him to Rio but after this performance now he will be included in the trials against Saman Abdevali, brother of 66KG 2011 world champ Saeid Abdevali. 

yeah that is a young mans weight class! Speed demons.

So if Nasiri wins against an injued Mohammadi they'll send him to Rio? I'd prefer Mohammadi to go, he has a good shot at gold. 

They think Mohammadi is not THAT injured. otherwise they would not force him to wrestle. beside that they never said winning the trials will necessary qualify you. Nasiri himself won the trials twice but never went to the worlds lol

I think if Nasiri wins convincingly they will send him to Rio (as he also won the Asians quote comfortably), Mohammadi's win (no matter how) will do the same for him but a close win for Nasiri won't be probably enough, I guess they will send both of them to Poland later in this case.

PS: they will probably postpone 98kg Greco trials,Ghasem Rezaei is apparently injured (he has to prove it though)

Edited by wrestfan

Good grief what is wrong with Reza. Just sit out and heel. Go out with an Olympic title If he is healthy he wins Olympics but it is looking doubtful. He is the only guy I simply don't think Varner or Snyder can beat. But when he is hurt anyone can beat him.  

Reza Yazdani got injured in training and most probably will miss the trials ! They will probably postpone the trials in his weight.

Man, what's wrong with him? Everytime he gets injured.

Do you know how bad it is?

Edited by Axe_Spartan

He got injured jumping over gym bags in the middle of a wrestling mat. The conditioning techniques in Iran are far behind, which may be why half the team is always injured. 

Off course

btw this is not the national camp in Tehran, they released all wrestlers to go home and train in their own clubs for the trials, this is his own club in Juybar and the coach is Esmaeilpour's father, his childhood coach.

now without this one, we will have freestyle trials only in 3 weights on Friday. plus 61kg trials for the World Cup spot.

They need to bring in a conditioning coach from America or something to show them how to do this stuff  more safely. Hopefully the training at the national camp is better but there is a lot of injuries there too I think.

Also I think they should cancel Yazdani and Rahimi's trial and just send them if healthy. That Mohammadi guy is good but doubt he can medal at 97. Atri is so far behind the top guys at the weight I don't see the need to risk a trial with Rahimi at an international tournament. I have read that even Atri himself admits this Olympics is for Rahimi. Sarmasti is a lot better than him but the weight cut is too hard for him. 

Edit: Actually now that I think a little bit Mohammadi would probably medal as long as he didn't have a terrible draw, since he was close with Yazdani at Takhti. 

Edited by Shiraz123

I read the sport channel on Iranian TV will not be showing the Olympic trials live, despite showing live curling this week which is a joke sport. Hopefully the videos of the matches come out. 

And when I thought iranians were crazy about wrestling, what a surprise.

Didn't mean to say they are showing curling over wrestling, just read they have apparently been showing curling on that channel this week. The program on tomorrow at the same time as Olympic trials is football related apparently. And yh a lot of people think wrestling in Iran is like NFL in America or most popular sport but that's far from truth. Football is the most popular sport, wrestling is more of a cultural thing. But the Iran national football team and clubs are ****, I don't know why anyone cares about them. They had 1 close match with Argentina but it was a fluke. 

Actually they will broadcast almost 2 hours of the competition live on Friday on IRIB3. from 13:30 to 15:45 while the competition starts from 11:30 !

except for one guy (Abedinzadeh 85 Greco) everybody came to the weight-in. Lashgari and Karimi will wrestle in second round. Lashgari has to wrestle Jokar first.