Sign in to follow this  
wrestfan

Iran Olympic Trials

Actually they will broadcast almost 2 hours of the competition live on Friday on IRIB3. from 13:30 to 15:45 while the competition starts from 11:30 !

except for one guy (Abedinzadeh 85 Greco) everybody came to the weight-in. Lashgari and Karimi will wrestle in second round. Lashgari has to wrestle Jokar first.

How is Karimi's injury?

Injured Mohammadi got pinned against Nasiri, the score was 4-3, I wonder if he shows up for the next match or not

Jokar beat Bayat 4-2

Lashgari withdrew after 1 minute against Karimi , he was down 4-0

so Jokar and Karimi will wrestle the best of 3 final

How does Bayat wrestle so much better in Iran than abroad? He just lost to Jokar 5-2 which is not bad. When he went to Ukraine he was horrible. Maybe the close match with Karimi was due to injury but he was close with Jokar too and beat him at Takhti.

Karimi looked so tired but i'm happy he made the team. Not too impressed with the other guys, Nasiri barely beat a badly injured Mohammadi in the second match and Yazdani was ok but nothing special. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Here is trial results:

Free-style team :

65: Nasiri beat Mohammadi (was aparently injured) twice (by tf and 5-3)

74: Hasan Yazdani beat Hosseinkgani twice (5-1 and 2-0)

86: there was 4 wrestler and any one got 2 lost would be withdrew.

Jokar 6-2 Laskari

Karimi 6-4 Bayat

Jokar 5-2 Bayat

Karimi 4-0 (by forfeit) Lashkari

finals: Karimi beat Jokar twice (5-2 and 4-4)

other weights:

57: Rahimi vs Atri ( will be picked after an international tournament)

97: Yazdani vs a.Mohammadi (Postponed due to Reza Yazdani's injuri)

125: Parviz Hadi vs Komeil Ghasmi( will be picked after an international tournament)

Gerco roman:

(trial was only in 85 kg)final : Noori beat Akhlaghi twice ! (4-1, 4-3)

He was phenomena and beat also Ghaderian, Karimfar and Akhbari.

Edited by goldlover

I'm impressed with Karimi, his cardio was horrible here and still made it. He got 4 points on Jokar in the first minute of their second match and was done after that, but was able to hold on. I see some complaining on instagram about the second match but the thing is Jokar shouldn't have even been at this tournament, he lost to Goleij and Bayat at Takhti. And Karimi beat him in the first match clearly 5-2. 

Nasiri won the trials twice (2013 and 2014) and still they didn't send him , it will be really hard for them to ignore him this time. but still sending him to Rio won't be a good idea, Mohammad is a gold medal chance while for Nasiri I doubt even he finishes on podium.

This year he lost the nationals in the final to unknown wrestler Ghiasi, later he won the Takhti Cup, Asian Championship and now the Olympic trials !

I think Hassan Yazdani and Karimi are safe.

as in Greco, Akhlaghi could be a gold medal chance in Rio (remember he lost in World Champs while he was leading 7-0), this Nouri guy is something like a younger version of him but he is weak in defending par-terre which makes him quite vulnerable against European wrestlers. still he beat Akhlaghi twice fair and square, it will be hard for them to send Akhlaghi instead.

They need to send Mohammadi + Nasiri to a tough international tournament. How long has it been since Nasiri wrestled good wrestlers from other countries? Not talking about Asian championships which he won easily recently. I want to see Nasiri against guys like Asgarov, Chamizo, etc. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Wow that sucks for Mohammadi, he is definetlt a medal threat. I don't think he can beat ramonov or chamizo but anyone else in that weight I would pick him. Any chance he will get a second chance at an international tournament? As for yazdani that also sucks. Maybe they can pull of a Jordan Burroughs in 2013 type medical miracle here. Would it be wise to seek out western doctors?

Wow that sucks for Mohammadi, he is definetlt a medal threat. I don't think he can beat ramonov or chamizo but anyone else in that weight I would pick him. Any chance he will get a second chance at an international tournament? As for yazdani that also sucks. Maybe they can pull of a Jordan Burroughs in 2013 type medical miracle here. Would it be wise to seek out western doctors?

I think You have to watch his Chamizo match, he was the better wrestler, just lost by an accident because of his mistake, happens sometimes.

it's not clear if they give him antoher chance or not, his final wasn't close nor one-sided. so it will be tough. as I said before this Nasiri guy won the trials twice and still they never sent him to the worlds, I think we will probably know their final decision by tomorrow.

btw all those news about Yazdani will miss Rio or wlll be ready to wrestle in 6 weeks are nonsense, there is no update about his injury, he has to wait few more days to run another MRI .

Mohammadi got another chance ! here is their final decision

57: Rahimi and Atri both will wrestle at the World Cup, if they still can't make the decision after the world cup, both of them will go to an international tournament.

65: Nasiri and Mohammadi both go to the World Cup, and maybe later to an international tournament

74: Yazdani already selected

86: Karimi already selected

97: Mohammadi and Tahan will wrestle in Los Angles World Cup, if they wrestle well , these 2 and Reza Yazdani (if he recovers) will go to Armenia tournament for the final decision, if Yazdani can't recover in time, the final decison will be between Tahan and Mohammadi.

125: Hadi and Ghasemi both will be send to 3 or 4 international tournaments and who wrestles better against foreign wrestlers will be selected.

and in Greco

59: TBD

66: Norouzi and Zeidvand will go to the World Cup, whoever wrestles better will be selected, if they can't decide after that, both of them will go to Poland.

75: Abdevali already selected

85: Akhlaghi and Nouri both will wrestle at the World Cup in Shiraz, after that coaches will take their decision.

98: Rezaei and Aliyari both will wrestle in World Cup, if they perform in the same level, they will wrestle each other after the competition or the next day

130: TBD