Sign in to follow this  
wrestfan

Iran Olympic Trials

65 seems to be unclear as well

of course it was

Mohammadi and Nasiri were supposed to go to Poland (or Armenia) no matter what happened at the World Cup. Nasiri beat Mohammadi twice at the trials but Mohammadi was heavily injured back then (and still recovering)

It's worth mentioning that Reza Yazdani was not injured at the 2015 World Cup.  Just out of shape.  Sharifov really took it to him.  Yazdani didn't look like himself at all.  Even if he gets healed up, it's a bit tricky to imagine him at 100 percent.  

Let's not forget that he got lit up good by a doped up dude wrestling for Turkey at Worlds '14.

If he is in excellent wrestling shape, he could play spoiler in Rio.  We'll see.

I still got Snyder taking the whole thing. 

Let's not forget that he got lit up good by a doped up dude wrestling for Turkey at Worlds '14.

If he is in excellent wrestling shape, he could play spoiler in Rio.  We'll see.

I still got Snyder taking the whole thing. 

Ah yes, the curious case of a guy named Shamil. 

Despite winning the World Cup the Iranian team was far from being any good. Khadem speaks about the tournament and claims they came here "unprepared" he says they usually come to the World Cup relatively prepared but this year less than 2 months before the Olympics they were under heavy  training and didn't change their training program because of this tournament. that was the reason Iranian wrestlers were quite "slow" here.

He also said he had no intention to pick anybody for the Olympics from the World Cup in 3 weights of 65, 97 and 125. in those weights they will send the candidates to Armenia to decide.

he also spoke about Karimi specifically claiming because of his "special" physique he had more trouble than the rest to wrestle during his heavy training period. Karimi will have few more rest days.

PS: Rahimi was supposed to wrestle-off Atri for the spot but it seems they already picked Rahimi. Rahimi, H. Yazdani and Karimi are already selected.

Despite winning the World Cup the Iranian team was far from being any good. Khadem speaks about the tournament and claims they came here "unprepared" he says they usually come to the World Cup relatively prepared but this year less than 2 months before the Olympics they were under heavy  training and didn't change their training program because of this tournament. that was the reason Iranian wrestlers were quite "slow" here.

He also said he had no intention to pick anybody for the Olympics from the World Cup in 3 weights of 65, 97 and 125. in those weights they will send the candidates to Armenia to decide.

he also spoke about Karimi specifically claiming because of his "special" physique he had more trouble than the rest to wrestle during his heavy training period. Karimi will have few more rest days.

PS: Rahimi was supposed to wrestle-off Atri for the spot but it seems they already picked Rahimi. Rahimi, H. Yazdani and Karimi are already selected.

Armenia tournament is so close they will probably look the same as world cup, but they maybe better because of short flight between Iran and Armenia. Really don't understand why they are risking Yazdani getting hurt over Mohammadi and Tahan, are they both going or just one? Also do you know if its just those 3 weights (65,97,125) going Armenia tournament?

Armenia tournament is so close they will probably look the same as world cup, but they maybe better because of short flight between Iran and Armenia. Really don't understand why they are risking Yazdani getting hurt over Mohammadi and Tahan, are they both going or just one? Also do you know if its just those 3 weights (65,97,125) going Armenia tournament?

Alireza Rezaei is guest in a TV show right now. according to him. they will also send Atri to Armenia. he also said they will check with Yazdani's doctors first to make a decision about sending him. he didn't say anything about sending both Mohammadi and Tahan or one of them.

It seems Tahan is out for good, now officially they consider 9 wrestlers for the Olympics

57 Hassan Rahimi (Tehran)

65 Ahmad Mohammadi (Mazandaran) and Meisam Nasiri (Zanjan)

74 Hassan Yazdani (Mazandaran)

86 Alireza Karimi (Alborz)

97 Reza Yazdani (Mazandaran) and Amir Mohammadi (North Khorasan)

125 Parviz Hadi (East Azarbaijan) and Komeil Ghasemi (Mazandaran)

Really don't understand why they are risking Yazdani getting hurt over Mohammadi and Tahan,

You got what you wished for, they are not sending Yazdani anywhere. they will only send Mohammadi alone to "evaluate" him ! probably only preparing him and giving him more experience in case Yazdani can't make it.

even though they didn't say that directly but I think Yazdani is already selected.

Good news they are not sending Yazdani, I read they are meeting today to discuss the weights. Anything else important they announced? 

They may send all these guys to Aliev Cup in Russia instead of Armenia.

They also said there won't be any kind of trial at 57 and coaches will pick the Olympic team member 15 days before Rio ! which means they already selected Rahimi 100%, just didn't want to announce it officially.

Hopefully Mohammadi can get the 65 spot. Ghasemi at 125 I thought he looked a lot worse at world cup than he did at the Olympic qualifier, we will see what he looks like here. 

Shiraz believe me, Hadi only need coaches trust, he is real treat for gold and can do much more than Ghasemi at Olympic (I hope Makhov go to Gerco and abandon freestyle, because i believe that he is the toughest opponent for Hadi).

Makhov isn't going to Greco he just destroyed Gatsalov today so if Hadi is a threat to gold he's going to have to beat Makhov. We will see in Armenia. My opinion whoever we send here will not get past Petriashvili and Akgul, Makhov is beatable I think but I would still favour him over our guys. Then again Petriashvili had some tough matches at worlds if I remember right. But Akgul is incredible I have to say, this guy almost beat Petriashvili while completely injured and out of shape! We've all seen how good Petriashvili is and losing to him 8-8 while in horrible form is very impressive. Look at the type of guys Karimi is losing to while in bad form to see how hard it is to wrestle this way. I have hard time seeing anyone beating Akgul if he's ready but if Hadi (or Ghasemi) do it I would be extremely happy of course. 

I'd actually like to see Petriashvili wrestle Makhov, I wonder how it would go. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Geno and Akgul are 1 & 2 ranked now so i know their strength, but Hadi is a big and special physical wrestler, and i'm sure he would handle Geno and Akgul very well. but makhov is very tall and physical too. I'm not saying Hadi will loos to makhov, but if Geno or Akgul meet Makhov befor HAdi (and probabley handle him easier than Hadi), His chance for gold will raise.
In my opinion Hadi's chance against Makhov is 50%, against Akgul 60% and against Geno 80%.
And about Ghasemi... give him less tan 30% chance against 3 of them even Magomedov.

Edited by goldlover

Geno and Akgul are 1 & 2 ranked now so i know their strength, but Hadi is a big and special physical wrestler, and i'm sure he would handle Geno and Akgul very well. but makhov is very tall and physical too. I'm not saying Hadi will loos to makhov, but if Geno or Akgul meet Makhov befor HAdi (and probabley handle him easier than Hadi), His chance for gold will raise.

In my opinion Hadi's chance against Makhov is 50%, against Akgul 60% and against Geno 80%.

And about Ghasemi... give him less tan 30% chance against 3 of them even Magomedov.

60% chance of beating Akgul?

If Hadi beats Akgul you deserve a lot of credit because I don't think anyone is predicting that. We will see, he has a chance to make the team in Armenia. To be honest neither of them impressed at world cup. Ghasemi's win against that junior world champ was a disaster and Hadi's win over Varner was underwhelming considering the size difference, this a guy Yazdani teched in like 10 seconds lol. 

Edited by Shiraz123

If Hadi beats Akgul you deserve a lot of credit because I don't think anyone is predicting that. We will see, he has a chance to make the team in Armenia. To be honest neither of them impressed at world cup. Ghasemi's win against that junior world champ was a disaster and Hadi's win over Varner was underwhelming considering the size difference, this a guy Yazdani teched in like 10 seconds lol. 

I think Hadi has some fear in his matches recently and only want to win without minding quality, because he feels that khadem desire to pick Ghasemi anyway.