Sign in to follow this  
straggler

Anyone see the Mauriello v. Klein match?

Apparently there was a significant controvery in the NYS D1 semifinal match. Mauriello was up 5-2 with 20 seconds left in the 3rd. The ref then called him for stalling four times in that time frame and apparently 3 times in 10 seconds and Klein won 6-5.

I hate the stalling call because it has degenerated into a way for a non-offensive wrestler to manipulate points out of the ref. The whole "Iowa style" for years became the Iowa wrestler simply pushing his opponent without taking a shot or making a single offensive move while the crowd yells "stalling!". (The way Missouri's bench mocked this last year was priceless).

Anyway, does anyone know what happened. Did Klein even attempt a shot during the 4 stalling calls or was this just very strange officiating? I mean how do you even get 3 stall calls in 10 seconds? 

Edited by straggler

The wrong wrestler won. But I just watched the highlights of the match and the kid was backing straight off the mat when he wasn't really in danger. Poor coaching. But the ref needs to be aware of the moment and understand that the rules in college aren't the same as the rules in high school.

Edited by LemonPie

I was there.  Horrible, and the ref was a total #$%^&*/  Look at his face after he called it. Slim ball smirk.  When is the last time you saw a ref call 4 points for stalling in a state semi, ending the match on a 2 pointer?  For me, never.

I was sitting with the family....First time at a wrestling match that I wanted to cry.  Such good people !  They deserved better from the men we trust to officiate.  

That guy either had a massive ego and wanted to make the story about him, or he is just a terrible ref who has no business ever being permitted to set foot in the Times Union Center as anything other than a paying fan.

Edited by Hofman19

I was there.  Horrible, and the ref was a total #$%^&*/  Look at his face after he called it. Slim ball smirk.  When is the last time you saw a ref call 4 points for stalling in a state semi, ending the match on a 2 pointer?  For me, never.

This happened this year in a state final.  I'd argue this is much more egregious than the NY example. 

Edited by Rakkasan91