Sign in to follow this  
HurricaneWrestling

Andrew Long Dismissed from Grand Valley Wrestling Team

That's dumb. If you give a dude a chance, give him a chance like any other wrestler. Setting up special circumstances is setting up him up for failure. I know Andrew agreed to it, but it's aversive bull**** like this that plagues our criminal justice system. Way to have him on probation for the year. That sure shows your support for his well being. Loser coach.

That's dumb. If you give a dude a chance, give him a chance like any other wrestler. Setting up special circumstances is setting up him up for failure. I know Andrew agreed to it, but it's aversive bull**** like this that plagues our criminal justice system. Way to have him on probation for the year. That sure shows your support for his well being. Loser coach.

Nice try at a troll job.

Smart move of the university to get rid of this guy.  Probably shouldn't have given him a chance to begin with honestly (convicted sex offender on a college campus is a disaster waiting to happen), but you can't fault them for doing it.  You could ask why an athlete is given such special treatment though, especially at the NAIA level...Is the publicity stunt really worth the risk?

At this point, this is a medical issue more than anything, and I'm hoping he can seek/accept the appropriate treatment, but he's facing a challenge far greater than anything present on the wrestling mat.  Quite a shame to see this happen over and over again. 

Kicking him off the team is the unquestioned right move.  I think kicking him out of the university (which is how the article read) is the unquestioned wrong move.  

Since he could graduate in April, it seems like piling on.  I'm guessing school officials were not especially receptive to this guy being on campus in the first place; also, there could be far more to the story than the guy was seen sipping a beer.

Expulsion for simply drinking seems over the top, however we aren't privy to all information.

we are privy. He agreed to a no tolerance contract given the nature of his previous struggles and the nature of the culture on that wrestling team. Long has been given too many chances as it is.

This was a disappointing thread title to read.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/2015/07/18/andrew-long-grand-view-wrestling/30350247/

Here is what he had to agree to to be able to become a student.  Lets see he has had numerous alcohol related problems at Iowa State, enormous alcohol related problems at Penn State, spent about 1 year in Jail, is on 5 years probation and is a registered sex offender.

Wow the school is being tuff on him, they just wont give him a break.

Edited by Roadkill

Seems like he is being punished a second time for his prior bad act. I know he agreed to zero tolerance, but the whole set up seems unrealistic at best. 

They admit that what got him thrown out would be nothing for another student athlete. 

Though, it was his third strike.  Remember he left Iowa State and went to Penn State due to his first strike.

I would like to note that I applaud Grand View for standing firm.  By all accounts I have heard, they were trying to set up a situation in which Long could get his life back on track (and he very well may have) but they were going to demand he walk a fine line.  They could have brushed this off as a minor incident but that would not have served Long well.  Drinking is typically a minor issue but for someone that has a history of issues with alcohol you need to demand that they refrain.  I wish the best for Long as he continually works to better himself.