Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Ed Ruth's ascendence

KR, thanks for the correction.

Love those 20 question interviews -- good stuff. Reading that, it makes me think that rolling around with Cael and Casey (among others) is the best way to explain his jump from RS to RS Fr. Doesn't sound like he's exactly studying technique videos. Just a hard worker with a positive attutude that wants to wrestle guys that push him, because he knows it makes him adjust and get better.

Thanks for the acknowledgement BAC. Like Ed said, he was surprised that the coaches were wrestling & persuaded him to stay. I know for a fact that guys on the team set as an individual goal to beat "Casey Cunningham". It doesn't happen. So when your coach kicks your butt (& you have a few NCAA champs who can't beat him) well I am sure there is a lot of mat education going on there.

The other thing I remember from Ed's early HS days, was his lack of defense. He could score a lot of points, but gave up a lot of points too, high scoring matches. Obviously, he continued to excel at his attacks, but became much stingier with allowing points.

Ruth's sophomore year all the talk was about how Thad Frick and Q. Wright would probably be on the same side of the bracket at states, and how they were the best two wrestlers in the bracket. Frick and Wright wrestled at the best with Wright winning convincingly but an entertaining match and everyone was waiting for the rematch.

In the quarterfinals Frick was up 4-1 then Ruth got a TD right before the end of the first period. From there on out Ruth just controlled the match. It was almost as if a light went off and he saw he could compete with the best or finally believed it. He ended up beating Frick by four or five points and I was hooked and have followed Ruth ever since.

Ruth never knew who he was wrestling. at nhsca duals one year he took out 2 state champs (lawrence beckman and ryan goodman) back to back. he had no idea who either guy was or why we were so excited for him. he could regularly be found sleeping, doing handstands, and playing with little kids before his matches. it was a matter of time before he developed some focus and a lot of people saw this coming

madcat-No more unique than being a 133-157 lber and wrestling at Iowa. If my memory serves me correctly (and remember I am a clueless abyss staring Iowa fan) Tom and Cael have the same amount of Olympic gold. Either you didn't pay attention or you just missed Scribe's point. Being at PSU and getting your butt kicked by the coaches is in no way special. You think OSU's run of 133 lbers has nothing to do with John Smith and Eric Guerrero? Training with Cael is a great opportunity, but so is Iowa, Oklahoma St., Minnesota, Ohio St., Cornell, Oklahoma, etc. All of those places the coaches are going to hand you your ass. PSU is not unique regardless of their fan perception.

MatEater - Not sure I agree with your last sentence.

Not all successful guys have to get all amped up and nurvous etc. to compete at a high level.

You can not assume that because he is relaxed enough to goof around and sleep etc... before a match that he has not prepared properly. Brinzer was not an outwardly intense dude and he did OK.

I think Ed's approach is ideal. Less anxiety, less stress, less energy wasted. I was the opposite. I envy guys like Ed.

The best of the best stay relaxed. As I've mentioned already sometimes Saitiev, even in worlds final matches, looks ridiculously relaxed to me. Like he's going in for a loose drill. Other very relaxed athletes are Anderson Silva and Jon Jones and both dominate MMA.

Intensity will beat the average wrestler but against the best of the best, I think it can hinder you.

i didnt say anything about intensity, nerves, or anger... i said a little focus. not a demeanor change... just a little focus... helped him develop more of a goal to win and he stopped getting put in 6 point holes so often